How hard is it to swap out a 4 speed for a 5 speed in a 1985 FJ60? What parts/tools/equipment will I need, how long will it take? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a 1985 FJ60 and swap out the 4 speed tranny for a 5 speed.

- How difficult is it to upgrade the transmission from a 4 speed to a 5 speed?
- What parts will I need to buy? What type of equipment/space/tools will I need to install it?
- How long will it take to install provided I have the right tools, parts, equipment and help (people who actually know what the hell they're doing lol)?
- Where is the best place to go online to purchase a new 5 speed (along with any of the other parts I might need)?

Thanks so much!

There is a search function at the top right corner. All of this information you seek has been covered ad nauesem.

I was a complete noob and did mine without any help but mine is an 87 (I understand things are different on earlier models.) I will say it was intimidating as F$%÷& opening up that cover and having all the gears fall out on the bench!! When putting it all back together dont force anything, if its not all sliding smoothly back together back off and try again, dont ask me how I know lol.
Space wise you dont need much room. A garage bay with a work bench is really all you need. Rent or borrow a good tranny jack.

As far as install goes just do a search.

I got mine from redline cruisers but that's cause I live in colorado and like to support local when I can.

or you could go back to the first thread you started a couple of days ago

or you could go back to the first thread you started a couple of days ago

...or this one...

People here on Mud love to help and answer questions. However, it is always good to do some of the work yourself, AKA ,Search function. Only once you have exhausted all search and internet options for the info you need, then ask the question. Just like owning one of these vehicles, it requires considerable effort on your part, to understand and keep one running in good repair. By doing the research yourself you gain a much better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.:cheers:

Just buy a new J**p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom