How good are your wipers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

T.C. Ed, have not met Mr. Winkler yet, still in only a part timer on the Boardman, waiting on the sale of my house to full time it.

Thread stealers.

Sorry if this gets long. Coffee and learning how to type will do that.

I have no windshield, so I have no problem.

But on my other vehicles my method of choice I use now after decades of trial and error is,

Wash then clean the windshield with Zep (or Windex) foaming glass cleaner.

Clay bar the windshield with soapy water. (works great)

Rinse & dry then apply Rain-X.

Fill reservoir with Rain-X washer fluid.

I've been using the silicone blade refills. Seem to last longer.

I prefer the squirt bottle of Rain-X as the spray gets blown onto my paint. I apply it liberally while spreading & rubbing it in with a half sheet paper towel folded in half 3 times. Let it dry. Apply a second coat right over the first, well dried coat. When the second dries, remove with wet, wrung out paper towels or cloth. Buff with dry paper towels or cloth.

It ticks me off how the wiper blade companies have tricked us into replacing the whole blade instead of just the refills. Some of the brands use different width refills so you can’t mix and match. So, after buying refills that can’t go in or ones that fall out, you just go buy the whole blade. The way of the future I guess but I still do refills where I can.

My 89 F250 was sold after 18 years with the original blades that accepted the Napa refills. No paint on the arms or blades but they were working perfectly when sold.

My 05 Honda CRV with original blades takes the PIAA silicone refills @ $8 ea. And work great.

My 07 GMC 2500 however, has the one-piece springless plastic blade with the rubber molded in, so I’m stuck buying those expensive things that are fragile at the connection point and I've broken a few either installing or washing the truck.

Sorry for the rant but I think my method above would help ya.

I purchased a small bottle of glycerine and wipe my wiper blades down about every month or so (if I can remember). I love it when I can get 3 and 4 years out of a set of blades.

Not really congruent with the central subject matter, but this thread inspired me to change out my year old wiper blades on Zeke.

Last year, I special ordered 15" blades, since the smallest available locally were 16". This year, I thought "what the heck" and tried the 16" blade from my wife's 2009 RAV4 and "viola!" it fit on the original arm quite nicely. I used Trico's and they appeared to fit and function pretty well.

@120mm what kind of wiper arms are on the piggy?

Looks pretty stock to me.

20181110_093754.jpg

This fall has seen the heaviest rain in recorded history in my neck of the woods, and they seem to do a decent job pushing water off the windscreen. It's a brand new windshield without any kind of water treatment.

My 73 had the top-mount non-J arm style arms. Sincemine is more a utilitarian build, I liked the idea of the VW arms for the J arm’s modern capability. I got them in the mail and I excitedly slapped them on, only to realize they were bent the wrong direction. I was really looking forward to this swap, so I looked at them for while trying to make the angle work for me. After what was probably to much time, I realized that I could make a simple notch at the bend, bend it to my desire angle and weld it together.
CC5B0D7C-54B7-498D-A4E2-DEFA8D7756DA.jpeg
A little paint and nobody (but an OCD purist) would even notice. They work better than I ever remembered. My only issue is that due to my high seat position, I’m a little above where they swipe. This leaves me ducking down when I’m using them. If anyone has found an offset wiper blade that, I’d love to hear about it. (Flipside- I don’t use my top, so wipers rarely come into play.)

Does anyone know of a suitable substitute blade that has the bayonet connector that is a little more modern?

I remember reading about a blade that is held on by a screw, I’m don’t remember much more though.

If I get enough free time this weekend I hope to pull the blades and arms from my 40 and check some stuff out.

From everything I've read guess fixing the wiper motor wiring isn't a priority. ed

From everything I've read guess fixing the wiper motor wiring isn't a priority. ed

I guess you’re having issues with them working?

I guess you’re having issues with them working?

Yes, everything works when bench tested so I need to fold my body in half and crawl under the dash to sort out the wiring.

I have bottom mounted wipers. I found a set of these at a garage sale.

Wiper Snuggies 124-02121.JPG

I slipped them on once and felt they were too strong for normal usage but hey are bendable to some degree. I keep them in the Cruiser in case I get caught in a heavy wet Oregon slush storm. I never had much issue in Montana but I will admit to not really diggin' driving at night in foul weather. Part number is 124-02121.

I purchased a small bottle of glycerine and wipe my wiper blades down about every month or so (if I can remember). I love it when I can get 3 and 4 years out of a set of blades.

Glycerin? The food additive? I wouldn't think that would jive with rubber but, hey, if it works.

100,000 mayflies on the windshield doesn't help either.

Reconstituting a windshield full of river bugs smells just like my waders every time I put them back on.

I have bottom mounted wipers. I found a set of these at a garage sale.

View attachment 1828540

I slipped them on once and felt they were too strong for normal usage but hey are bendable to some degree. I keep them in the Cruiser in case I get caught in a heavy wet Oregon slush storm. I never had much issue in Montana but I will admit to not really diggin' driving at night in foul weather. Part number is 124-02121.

Reconstituting a windshield full of river bugs smells just like my waders every time I put them back on.

Them river bugs make a fat trout, I like em.

I put new inserts in my OEM arms maybe once a year. I think it is like $4 for 2 inserts. They aren't perfect but I have driven through some bad storms and I was able to see fine. Mine are the bottom mounted style.
If you are talking about just the rubber wiper part for the OEM FJ40 wiper blade, what is the toyota part number please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom