How does a 4-speed compare to a 3-speed? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Locking hubs were dealer add-ons for later models? Hence the early front hub caps being one solid dish.

Husky hubs were a dealer option thru Toyota back in the early sixties. Same with Ramsey PTO winches and Eaton front heaters. The early hub caps we're also available with cut out from free wheeling hubs from the factory. I have a dealer parts book showing aftermarket carpet kit available thru Toyota to their dealers. Toyota offered a lot of aftermarket parts to their dealers to sell as a option. Once Toyota dropped a PTO winch option they offered a Warn winch option. Aftermarket vinyl tops to fit factory bows. Only think that has didn't seem to make the list was the Fairey OD that fit the three speed transfer case from mid 1963 on. Don't when they started making them but guessing the early seventies at least.

Gear combinations, not “speeds.” Combinations include 2 wheel drive high and 4 wheel drive high and low. With locking hubs you get one more combination. I’m surprised they didn’t take advantage of that option in their ads :)
When would 2-low be useful?
🤔

🤔

For me it would since I still have manual steering and Lock-Right lockers front and rear. Now running a H42 with floor shift. Should pulled the transfer case shift linkage guide off so can go directly into 2WD low. Currently just leave the hubs unlocked until I need 4WD.

🤔

You get that when you twin stick a 40's Tcase.

The ad says it will do 85 mph.

It also says you can fit 7 people in it. Nothing mentions doing 85 with 7 people.

Do you have a tach? It any idea how many RPMs you're doing at 85 MPH?
Would depend on tire size, stock tires on the rig in the advert were like 28" tall. Running it thought a calculator, your at 4100-4200 ish rpm for 85mph. Not sure I would want to spin a F engine that fast for long.

I use the low range with the front hubs unlocked (2 wheel low) frequently when I’m on a paved surface but want the pulling power and reduced chance of stalling afforded by the granny gear. This is most often on the boat ramp. Nothing quite as exciting as stalling out with something big and heavy dragging you into the water. :-(

Would depend on tire size, stock tires on the rig in the advert were like 28" tall. Running it thought a calculator, your at 4100-4200 ish rpm for 85mph. Not sure I would want to spin a F engine that fast for long.

Agree. It’s just for s***s and giggles and with 33’s I figure right at 4000

My 60 with 33s and 3.70 is about 3200 at 85

2wd low, or even high is definitely under appreciated. When you have your steering wheel almost at full stop, trying to get out of a muddy, snowy rut in the road, or equivalent obstacle, your birfields/ CV joints, up front will be effectively weaker than when your wheels are pointing forward. If you need more traction, air down your tires, install chains--that will help with steering and braking. A 'pre-runner' style locked rear will might better than open diff 4wd when your axles are articulated in opposite directions and you have opposite front and rear wheels spinning out at the same time.

Off topic but I hate not backing up my claims.

This speedometer is dead on accurate.

Stock 2F with Jim C carb, 4 speed with split case loaded out for camping hauling a trailer

DD3A03EC-A40F-4894-9CF3-80B7CE84203E.jpeg

6154DD6D-DD07-4D9D-BC53-55B96A2BE93B.jpeg

Hell no. I wonder what the factory redline was. Didn't some have the option for a tachometer?

Hell no. I wonder what the factory redline was. Didn't some have the option for a tachometer?

I ran 28” tires in my 40 and 45 at first and they would barely go 70 without sounding they were going to blow up. The radial 32” tires I’m running now made it reasonable to cruise at that speed now

Wow. Do you have the same carbs on all your vehicles?

No. The green 40 has a new stock 2F and 2 barrel Aisin finely tuned carb.

The 45 has the original F135 F motor and a one barrel carb with original points distributor.

My point is , they are tuned correctly and most importantly the steering has been redone. Brakes new. Tires good. They are safe and not scary at speed.

My point is , they are tuned correctly and most importantly the steering has been redone. Brakes new. Tires good. They are safe and not scary at speed.

I will back this up. I wheel my 1965 FJ45LV and frequently take it on the interstate too. It's got a 1974 F 1/2, 4 speed, 411s, and 33's. I can do 85 as long as it's flat. It's not my cruise speed, but can be done for short periods. I usually cruise about 70-75, mostly to keep wind noise down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom