How does a 4-speed compare to a 3-speed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d say 80% of people are driving around in F/2F trucks with crappy carbs and distributors and scary steering.

/this\

I tried to explain this to my kids when they were small, but it was a little too esoteric for them. Then one day we passed a beautifully restored old Hudson going down the street and I had a chance to make my point.

I said “Look kids, that man is not driving that car!” They replied that indeed he was. As he continued to whipsaw the steering wheel back and forth I explained “He is not DRIVING that car, he is REACTING to it, because the steering is so sloppy.

They got the point.

Do you have a tach? It any idea how many RPMs you're doing at 85 MPH?

Yes 3800

I should clarify, I saw it while my life was flashing before my eyes, as the trucker I was passing kept speeding up on a 2-lane, with oncoming traffic. o_O

No. The green 40 has a new stock 2F and 2 barrel Aisin finely tuned carb.

The 45 has the original F135 F motor and a one barrel carb with original points distributor.

My point is , they are tuned correctly and most importantly the steering has been redone. Brakes new. Tires good. They are safe and not scary at speed.

Agreed!!

I have the same experiences as you. Started with 30s that measured 28”, tired engine and filthy carb... barely hit 60, except downhill.

Rebuilt engine Mark-rebuild/tuned carb and 31’s, I can cruise at 75 all day long... I prefer to keep the rpms down, so I try to stay around 60... but 60 on the speedo is 66.

Only scary to drive when passing into oncoming traffic, on a 2-lane, with an a****** trucker who insists on racing me.

I’d say 80% of people are driving around in F/2F trucks with crappy carbs and distributors and scary steering.

This is true.
I have restored 7 FJ40's over the past dozen or so years. Even when fresh, stock steering still leaves a bit to be desired. Carbs and dizzys are always temperamental, but can be dialed in. But still require choke on cold starts etc.

Since discovering EFI I will not go back to carbs. Soo much better. (sniper EFI is what I recommend)
Re steering, I have done mini truck which leaves all the wondering intact, and Saginaw which is good but requires alot of fab. I'm contemplating going with a Nissan Xterra gear (2002) on my next PS project. According to its specs, it looks to be a perfect swap for an FJ40. (same install procedure as a FJ60/80 box)

Last edited:
Having recently completed the swap from 3 spd to 4 spd - I can say it was DEFINITELY worth it for me. The shifting, the gear ratios, and the noise reduction make it a night and day driving experience difference. Yes, its the same on the hwy, but the overall experience is much improved. My biggest complaints with the 3 spd were the noise and if I want to cruise at 45 I had to stay in 2nd gear with it wound up really high and loud - if I hit 3rd it would lug. the 4 spd does not have that issue and is much quieter as well.

You probably had some engine issues if you were lugging in 3rd at 45mph. Something definitely not right there. Unless maybe if it had huge tires.

Last edited:
A lot of that must come from the T-case as it's all straight cut gears on the early ones.

Straight cut gears in an fj-40 transfer case? This is a new one for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom