How does a 4-speed compare to a 3-speed? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Although the H41 makes a nice street gear box too, if you are running 33" or larger tires.

The gear split between the first and second is not as smooth as the H42. Wider apart then second thru fourth. Personally wish Toyota made a H56F with first thru fourth gears like the H42 and then had a fifth gear OD. Then gear the transfer with lower gears in low range. That would be very Street and highway friendly and low range gears for off road.

4 speed transmission looks like the three on steroids. The lower first gear is what it’s all about. Final gearing is same on both. Driving the four is like old time this is how it should be done, can’t say the same for the three speed experience but did do it for years. Even with stock power plant 4 is better IMO

The gear split between the first and second is not as smooth as the H42. Wider apart then second thru fourth. Personally wish Toyota made a H56F with first thru fourth gears like the H42 and then had a fifth gear OD. Then gear the transfer with lower gears in low range. That would be very Street and highway friendly and low range gears for off road.

I'm getting close to that with my H41, Orion transfer case, 3.70 diffs and 33" tires. Turns 2400 rpm to go 65 mph in 4th, still have low gears for the trail, still easy to start out in 1st gear on the street. I really like that combo anyway; works great for me.

Gotta remember that the National Speed Limit was 55 mph in 1973. The interstates were just projects in the 1960s. Overdrive, 3.70s, stock big tires, and rock crawlers are slightly more modern realities. Just today, I was trying to sorta repair a piece of metal molding that got ripped off of a Buick windshield from the vacuum created traveling the opposite direction of a semi truck drafting another semi on a 2-lane stretch of US 285. Perhaps back in the era of the FJ40, more people could afford to live somewhere that is not a 110-mile round-trip commute everyday?

But they did advertise that it could cruise at 80mph and carry 6 passengers in foam comfort. Lol.

Having recently completed the swap from 3 spd to 4 spd - I can say it was DEFINITELY worth it for me. The shifting, the gear ratios, and the noise reduction make it a night and day driving experience difference. Yes, its the same on the hwy, but the overall experience is much improved. My biggest complaints with the 3 spd were the noise and if I want to cruise at 45 I had to stay in 2nd gear with it wound up really high and loud - if I hit 3rd it would lug. the 4 spd does not have that issue and is much quieter as well.

Having recently completed the swap from 3 spd to 4 spd - I can say it was DEFINITELY worth it for me. The shifting, the gear ratios, and the noise reduction make it a night and day driving experience difference. Yes, its the same on the hwy, but the overall experience is much improved. My biggest complaints with the 3 spd were the noise and if I want to cruise at 45 I had to stay in 2nd gear with it wound up really high and loud - if I hit 3rd it would lug. the 4 spd does not have that issue and is much quieter as well.
Thank you for that response. I picked up a 4 speed a little early in my project due to a great opportunity, and was starting to wonder if it would be worth the swap. I still have a while to go before I attempt it, but due to your experience it sounds like I made a good decision.

But they did advertise that it could cruise at 80mph and carry 6 passengers in foam comfort. Lol.

It was 85 MPH and seven men with all their gear. If you believe that I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

73 was the only model year for six passenger in the US market. The claim of 85 MPH all day long would think 79+ with 3.70 diffs and 2F would be the closest. There was a few FJ40s in the early sixties that came with even higher gearing than 3.70. Maybe those are the ones Toyota was talking about. A one barrel carburator on the F135 is still not something I would care to test for a day at 85 MPH. Particularly with six more grown men cramped inside.

It was 85 MPH and seven men with all their gear. If you believe that I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

73 was the only model year for six passenger in the US market. The claim of 85 MPH all day long would think 79+ with 3.70 diffs and 2F would be the closest. There was a few FJ40s in the early sixties that came with even higher gearing than 3.70. Maybe those are the ones Toyota was talking about. A one barrel carburator on the F135 is still not something I would care to test for a day at 85 MPH. Particularly with six more grown men cramped inside.
3.36's John!

3.36's John!

Was hoping you post it up Dan. Saved me from searching a micro-fiche, or a conversation. Just sorry I missed a set of axles with them for the novelty. Would have loved to seen the 62 FST the first time they switched to a later offset axle in the back with the original 3.36 diff in the front. By the time I was involved the back axle was gone.

Was hoping you post it up Dan. Saved me from searching a micro-fiche, or a conversation. Just sorry I missed a set of axles with them for the novelty. Would have loved to seen the 62 FST the first time they switched to a later offset axle in the back with the original 3.36 diff in the front. By the time I was involved the back axle was gone.
I'm not on here much these days, but I throw my 2c in where I can!

What do you mean by "quieter"? Ate you referring to the gear whine? I have gear whine really bad and I didn't know if it was just me or if most cruisers were like that.

False advertising

Gear combinations, not “speeds.” Combinations include 2 wheel drive high and 4 wheel drive high and low. With locking hubs you get one more combination. I’m surprised they didn’t take advantage of that option in their ads :)

Gear combinations, not “speeds.” Combinations include 2 wheel drive high and 4 wheel drive high and low. With locking hubs you get one more combination. I’m surprised they didn’t take advantage of that option in their ads :)
Colloquailsim. "3 speed transmission" 4 speed, etc. Just like people refer to "high range" and "low range" when talking Transfer cases . I can't say I've ever heard anyone say " I've got a 4 gear combination transmission and a 2 gear combination transfer case"

I guess you could nitpick a bit and say that there's a a 3rd combo by counting 4wd being engaged or not. Just seems a bit of an exaggeration, considering that stock you cannot put it in low without 4wd being also engaged, drive plates don't give that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom