How do you secure your 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since joining mud and a local group of cruiser enthusiasts, I've seen a handful of people having their 60's and other cruisers stolen. I've heard they are relatively easy for folks to steal but don't have any first hand experience. I have been thinking about installing a hidden ignition kill switch or something, but haven't done anything yet.

My question is, how do keep your 60 from getting stolen?

Quite a few threads on this because, yes, they are easy for Hillary voters to make off with. Anything you can do to make that harder, is better for you.

Alarm
Kill switch
Multiple kill switch
Brake or Clutch pedal lock (I use one on each pedal)
Steering wheel lock
Shift arm lock
Leave the 4wd selector in N (I do this)

50 cal machine gun mounted on the roof....

The drawback to locks is the cheap ones have a lock that is easily and quickly drilled out and the mechanism pops off .. So they are really only good as a visual deterrent. There are some good ones with substantial lock mechanisms, for about $100 but you'll have to order from UK... Like this one:

Pedal Lock

lock%204.JPG

Reactions: OSS
then count on it getting stolen

maybe. doubt it. wonder what geico would give me.... not enough I am sure there is a thread on 'stated value' insurance somewhere as well. the main reason i don't lock the doors is it is way more likely in my 'hood' to have the window smashed and they rummage.

25 years ago I had my cruiser attempted to be stolen at a lighted marina parking lot over night. It was parked near several other cars. The perp (whoever he was) was a pro. He had opened the locked front door without damaging the lock or window and then hotwired the ignition somehow without breaking the ignition lock or cutting any wires.

I had previously installed a computerized anti-theft time delay cut off switch which would let the car start and run for 30 seconds, then cut off the ignition - and it saved my vehicle.

The next day I was walking by my car and noticed that it was sticking out of the parking stall about half way -- then it dawned on me (to my horror and glee) that someone had attempted to steal my cruiser. They had gotten in, started it up, backed out ---- and then the engine died & they bailed.

Boy was I fortunate. That device was part of a Jacoob's ignition module. The company has gone out of business. I don't know if there's anything like it nowadays.

maybe. doubt it. wonder what geico would give me.... not enough I am sure there is a thread on 'stated value' insurance somewhere as well. the main reason i don't lock the doors is it is way more likely in my 'hood' to have the window smashed and they rummage.

I'm in the manual transmission camp... There are a small handful of people I know that can drive a stick.

As for the insurance, I did go the route of "agreed value" and carry full coverage with my carrier. I'd be happy to share my broker's information if you need it.

M1 Garand and dogs. Have had the hidden kill switch on my mind and maybe a keyed fuel cut off switch too. Auto theft is rare in Moab, too many $7k bikes available. Anyway, I've put off the kill switch long enough, time to take action.

Ravelco. Been looking into it and it sounds pretty good. Does anyone in the Portland/Seattle area have one installed?
And if you do, where did you get it done?

hidden ignition isolator, +some other hidden stuff
I managed to lock myself out of my mum and dads RV last year, alarmingly it took the locksmith less than 2 minutes to pick the front door locks, modern supposedly secure locks. Quite scary
What I would really like is a GPS tracker so it works anywhere in the world rather than a sim card one.

I accidentally locked myself out of my ‘60 in the Home Depot parking lot with the engine running and 2000 lb of tile in the back a few/several months back (hopped out the back hatch with front door locked to help load cargo then slammed it shut - truly one of my finest moments). I then watched a “professional” (?) locksmith struggle to open the vehicle for close to 20 minutes before he finally got in. Certainly boosted my confidence in the security of the vehicle as-is, but I still realize there’s not much that can stand in the way of someone who is bound/determined to separate you from your belongings.

Live in a place that has no road out of town. We're locked in by mountains and the ocean.

Lowlifes mostly target boat related equipment, such as trailer winches, outboards, crab pots-they may even cut your truck's fuel line and siphon your gas in the parking lot-but very few are dumb enough to go for grand theft auto.

Cruisers aren't so coveted around here as the lower 48 either.

With my FJ40 I relocate the distributor rotor to a secret hidey-hole for long-term parking. That's a hassle with the 60 since the distributor screws on. But you can disconnect the high tension wire at the coil and make it still look connected. This is a good option in pinch if you leave your vehicle at a trailhead or marina. Probably hard to troubleshoot in the dark, and you do have to remember what you've done.

The problem is that anyone who really wants to steal one of these probably can. T-case in neutral is great, but that makes it even easier to roll it when you release the parking brake. My brother-in-law's vintage Ford F100 with RV cam and nearly straight pipes was stolen in the middle of the night while the whole family slept. He figures they put it in neutral, rolled it out of the driveway and down the street, then towed it one way or another until it was far enough away it wouldn't wake anyone up. So if I can park on a hill I do, and let the truck come to the rest on the curb before setting the brake and leaving it in gear. I put on a steering wheel club if the area is sketchy or its for overnight.

Maybe its better to put the T-case in 4H and lock the hubs. Any noob would have no idea what's going on as the truck bucks and squeals the tires around the first turn!

I don't lock it any more. It could probably be opened with a dull butter knife. Plus, nobody is going to steel a manual and if they don't know how to use a choke, its not getting more than a few feet without falling dead if you try and run off in a hurry.

I'm planning on one of those $50 GPS trackers with the $150 a year subscription. I go so many places with this truck for work that I can't loose sleep over it. Take the radio, but please don't break the glass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom