How do I get major sap off the 80?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Parked on the main drag of a tiny town over the weekend for several trees and returned to find the trees had literally showered the 80 with sap. I'm talking super fine drops so dense that there are at least 50 per square inch - truck feels like it's been stucco'd.

Anyone know of a product I can use to get it off - something that sprays on as I literally will be cleaning 90% of the entire body surface? A detail guy suggested rubbing alcohol, which did seem to dissolve the drops but it is so volatile it dries and merely converts drops to a layer of sap unless you get it wiped up before the alcohol dries (seconds). So, not good for the entire body....

Help!

IdahoDoug

Doug,
I've had a can of Ford bug & tar remover that I have used for years. It's almost empty after 30 years but the stuff still works great. I don't know if you can still get it from a Ford dealer but it's worth a phone call. The stuff is probably illegal now but it doesn't hurt the finish as long as you wash it after use then wax it.
-B-

I drive down to my parents place a few times a year . Their place is like a forest *L* . Maples flank the drive and this summer I got sapped big time . I hauled my lazy ass to a place that hand washes your truck in and out , and then continued over to wally mart where I purchased a crude vehicle cover . Only takes around 30 secs to put it on or remove . Only the dork factor to contend with ... :-[ :-[ :-[

Tyler

As far as Beo's 'Pristine' , you should know he ain't never contended with foreign 'matter's directly as he has quite a layering of plastic wrap about that beast :slap:

I've used mineral spirits before to get road tar off the rocker panels on my old Corrado. I didn't see any damage done to the paint, and there were places where the paint wasn't factory. If your paint is fairly durable (eg. -not a respray in the last few months) I wouldn't hesatate trying it on a cool day out of the direct sunlight.

Waxed it afterwards and my car looked great.

My $.02 .

Yup...mineral spirits is the ticket. That's what the bug and tar remover is made of too. It won't hurt your finish.

The other option would be detailing clay. Mothers makes a kit that should be available locally for about $12-$15. I'm not particularly fond of using really harsh solvents on my paint so I usually use clay for stuff like this. Just make sure you fold it frequently so if it picks up any hard particles you aren't grinding them into the paint.

I've also used a 'clay bar' to clean the truck. While I was sceptical at first, it really does work. The downside is that there is a lot of elbow greese to do the job on a truck this size.

Cheers, Hugh

My $.03: I've used several things over the years. Our problem down here is usually pine sap and 'love-bugs', both equally bothersome and hard to get off. Focusing on the pine sap, though, in order of removal preference:

(1) Mineral spirits.
(2) lighter fluid, or, for really really tough globs that are dried as hard as epoxy....
(3) ice. Freeze the heck out of it, then carefully chip at it with a razor blade. then GOTO (1)

Oh yeah......the bugs: they particularly like bumpers. If you clean / wash / wax the bumper, spray a little Pam on it.....keeps the bugs from sticking.

Step 1: Dip whole truck in Dupont bedliner.
Step 2: I am obsessed with this idea.

Ha, this reminds me of helping my other bro get heavy sap off a Triumph GT6 he bought for a song. It had sat under maple trees for an eternity, took a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol to discover the paint was flawless. Lots of rubbing alcohol and lots of work. Good luck bro!

Easiest way to keep the Car clean is to regulaly use a good quality Wash/Wax.
Such as: Armour All - Wash and Wax, Turtle Wax - Wash with Wax and Selly's Wash and Wax.

To get Bugs and Tar off, The best I've found to work are: Acetone, Mineral Turpentine and Methylated Spirits.

The worst thing I've ever used to clean the Car is with Cut and Polish. :mad: Once you start you can never stop using it. :'(

After I've given the Car especially good Wash, I put a big splash of Selly's Poly Glaze - Wax into a Bucket and dilute with a bit of warm Water, Then apply with a sponge, Then Hose off with a very light spray. 8) - Only way to not have to keep Cutting and Polishing Dads 1996 Holden Barina(Vauxhall/Opel Corsa). When the Oil Pump Gasket went, Got it replaced at the Holden Dealer and they used a high pressure Water thing that killed the Clear Coat. :mad:

Bug & Tar Removal Application from any auto store will do, just make sure it does not harm the finish, I have been in your pair of shoes in past with my old Camry.

Al

>> Acetone, <<

Uhhh, I don't think you want to use acetone on *any* painted surface. Least not the acetone stuff I've got.

Not trying to start a firestorm but for waxing there's nothing that I have found that is better than Zaino. Spendy though.

Step 1. Remove shrink-wrap
Step 2. Wash with liquid Dawn
Step 3. Clay bar
Step 4. All the Zaino steps
Step 5. Reapply shrink-wrap

Keeps Pristine .... well... pristine.

-B-

-B-

Do not use dish soap for regular washing as it strips wax.......... :cheers:

huuummmmmina!!!

I want that treatment with my factory 2 tone :D

How much did that run if you don't mind me asking Christo?

Christo- absolutely amazing!! Please fill us in on the $$$ of something like that!

oh, and I couldn't resist this one either....

How do I get major sap off the 80??

You ask them nicely to get off or you go very fast around a curve :D

Doug, Are you talking aphyd mess or stuff from a maple tree? A regular wash will remove aphyd crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom