How do I get major sap off the 80?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Years ago a chick I was dating ran over a can of green spray paint that blew up all over her white car. I bought a product from turtle wax, some tar and paint remover stuff that took it right off 1 day later. Couldn't believe it worked as well as it did. Took off all the old road tar too. Didn't appear to hurt the finish either.

Needless to say, I was very impressed. Most crap on the market doesn't do what it says it should.

Things to try to remove sap; if fresh, mayonnaise, lard.
If it's been on for awhile; the ideas above plus WD40, kerosene, and dry ice. Live in Penn's woods.
Bill

Hey, some great tips. Unless anyone can find a risk, I'm going to use mineral spirits as I suspect it will remain "wet" where the rubbing alcohol I tried dried in seconds and only allows small areas to be done. Since I have about 4 Triumph GT-6s worth of surface area and will be working alone, efficiency is key.

What a freaking mess this is. It's definitely sap, and my buddy's white Excursion diesel also got the rear half coated. One week later, and I'd have had a fresh coat of wax on it - grrr. I'll be pulling the Thule rack off to do it, adding to the time/labor.

As for clay, I have a bar, but it's fresh so the fine droplets are not hard enough to break off. In addition, that would take an incredible amount of work (see description in initial post). Incredibly, there was enough gentle wind that day that even the sides and all VERTICAL surfaces are coated at about 2/3 the amount of the horizontals.....

IdahoDoug

Doug,

This is a dumb question. Some tree droppings are water soluable, did you try that?

D-

Well, it pays to be dirty sometimes. When this whole sap thing happened, the truck was filthy and I was planning to wash and wax it the next day. So today I came home early with a gallon of mineral spirits and a spray bottle as well as a large bag o' rags. While washing the truck to get it ready, I was astonished to see the detergent loosening them up, and by the time I was done, it was apparent the sap had been atop the dirt!! So, about 99.3% of it came off as kind of "soft" grit. When I realized it was happening, I immediately dumped the warm soapy water and refilled with super cold soapy water to help discourage it from regripping on the now clean paint. Worked like a charm and areas that it gripped a little better were overcome with a bug sponge (has that cheesecloth texture). I am soooo relieved!! Spent an hour touching up chips instead, so that it's ready to wax later in the weekend.

Thanks for all the tips, and I'll be returning the rags and mineral spirits with a very light heart.

IdahoDoug :cheers: :cheers:

Let this be a lesson to you...never wash your truck!

I would try a sapsucker :D :D :D.
Sean

Hey, wondered where you were and when you'd weigh in on this issue. Heh.

IdahoDoug

Best stuff for getting off tree sap, road oil and anything else is Dawn dishwashing liquid and a little elbow grease. It WILL take off all wax, too, so you'll have to reapply a coat of wax after washing.
The new Dawn -- the amber color not the old blue -- is even better. It cleaned up my clear coated Audi wheels when even P21 couldn't get all the brake dust and grime.
:beer:

LT
8)

The problem with Dawn is that it takes a lot of water to wash all the Suds off. :'( - Water Restrictions.
I used Morning Fresh on the BJ40 last time I washed it and it did not make my Hands feel anywhere near as bad afterwards as using Dawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom