How can I lower my FJ60 I do not need the 4" lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I am a new owner of an FJ60 and semi new to 4x4s so please excuse my ignorance. I have searched this topic but can't find a definite answer.

The truck I bought has the Man-A-Fre ( FJ60 OME 4"inch suspension with shackle reversal kit )
SKU: OMEKIT-604SR
FJ60 Old Man Emu/ Man-A-Fre 4-inch Suspension with Shackle Reversal Kit (Light/Medium Load Kit) - Landcruiser Parts

While I am sure it makes the truck more capable off road, I plan on using the truck more as a daily driver and I don't want it that high specially the rear of the truck.
The truck is currently on 33s which I do like, but if I had to go smaller I would not mind.

My question is,
How can I get the truck at least a couple inches lower without replacing everything?
Can I get smaller shackles, if so what do you guys recommend?

One more thing, does anyone know what the right bushings are for the these OME shocks?

Thank you
Ed

20181130_124108.jpg

20181130_134310.jpg

20181209_122345.jpg

20181209_122417.jpg

Have a question, not an answer.

I can't really tell from your posted pictures...but are your front leaf springs installed backwards?

Gotcha, my mistake. Thanks.

Buy stock length shackles then see where it sits. Your shackle angle front and rear is almost perpendicular to frame due to extended shackles. Once its stock length you'll probably see about a 1" drop or so. If the leafpacks are in decent shape, I'd just pull the AALs from the pack as it looks like they have heavies in the rear due to the weight of the bumpers.

The shackle reversal up front isn't helping the cause but it won't inhibit you from getting the truck down a few inches.

I also noticed you're in Santa Clarita...if you want a hand doing any of it, let me know. I also have a pair of stock length anti inversion shackles laying around as well.

Ed, I just sent you a PM with a wild thought. Let me know.

Buy stock length shackles then see where it sits. Your shackle angle front and rear is almost perpendicular to frame due to extended shackles. Once its stock length you'll probably see about a 1" drop or so. If the leafpacks are in decent shape, I'd just pull the AALs from the pack as it looks like they have heavies in the rear due to the weight of the bumpers.

The shackle reversal up front isn't helping the cause but it won't inhibit you from getting the truck down a few inches.

I also noticed you're in Santa Clarita...if you want a hand doing any of it, let me know. I also have a pair of stock length anti inversion shackles laying around as well.

Yeah I am in Santa Clarita, You are in Ventura right? It would be awesome if you could help me out some time, I always I have 3 day weekends if you are ever in town, or I can come to Ventura.

Are you willing to sell those shackles you have? I assume those are for the rear only?
What can I use for the rear shackles on the front axle because they are different.
Sorry if it is a dumb question.

20181209_110116.jpg

Yeah I am in Santa Clarita, You are in Ventura right? It would be awesome if you could help me out some time, I always I have 3 day weekends if you are ever in town, or I can come to Ventura.

Are you willing to sell those shackles you have? I assume those are for the rear only?
What can I use for the rear shackles on the front axle because they are different.
Sorry if it is a dumb question.

View attachment 1851293

Suppose it depends what all you're trying to do would dictate where we meet. Yea, if you want the shackles, they are yours. They would be for your rear only.

The fronts would either need to be shortened and rewelded or find someone who makes shorter shackles for shackle reversal. I see they exist for various trucks, but some measuring needs to be done.

Keep in mind when you swap out the shackles, your pinion angle is going to change. I just swapped my rear 5.5” shackles for stock 3.5” shackles. It dropped the truck height an inch (normal to get 1/2 the difference) and changed my pinion angle a little over 3 degrees.

This required taking out my previously installed 4 degree shims to get the flanges parallel again and eliminate the ujoint binding/vibration.

Keep in mind when you swap out the shackles, your pinion angle is going to change. I just swapped my rear 5.5” shackles for stock 3.5” shackles. It dropped the truck height an inch (normal to get 1/2 the difference) and changed my pinion angle a little over 3 degrees.

This required taking out my previously installed 4 degree shims to get the flanges parallel again and eliminate the ujoint binding/vibration.

Oh, that's pretty significant.
Are you also running the Shackle Reversal kit?

seriously contact Cruiser Outfitters. Click on the vendors list at the top of the page and scroll down til you find the link to their website. They sell many many OME lifts. They know land cruisers and since you already have the springs they can match them with the right shackles. You'll prob need to ask about getting some shorter swaybar links too depending on what is on yours. They may be familiar with the OME/MAF lift you have. And I know they can get the right bushings for your shocks. There are 2 diff size pins on the rear shocks and they changed sizes in 86. So the inside diameter of the bushing has to match the pin. they carry both.

I think to lower the front enough, you will need to take out the shackle reversal hardware and set up the suspension conventionally. It looks like only the front shackle mount will need to change and that isn't a huge deal.

The rear with "normal" 2.5 inch springs and stock length shackles should be pretty good if you want to keep the 33s.

A 2.5 lift still looks good with 31s (and drives better too) and that would lower you another inch.

The shackle reversal alone is a 1 1/2" lift. The kit was supplied with 2 1/2" springs, thus a 4" lift.
You can use a used stock spring and drop the front about 3 of those 4" without all the cutting, grinding and rebuilding the
front mounts. The rear, with a set of fresh , no lift springs will get you close enough you can trim the ride height with shackles.
If you have OME rears there are certain leaves you can pull to drop the spring rate and ride height. Again, Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters
can get you set up with OME choices and mods to the rear.

Awesome! thank you all soo much for all the useful information.:cheers:
I will update this post once I have my issue resolved.
I have some phone calls to make.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why would you buy a 60 as a daily driver if you aren't going to ever take it offroad?

Hi Ed,
I am also new to fj60 (first post in ih8mud after a lot of voyeur work).

For curiosity, if you have opportunity, could you also measure from the floor to the top of the wheel arch (along/parallel to the wheel).
I also have a lifted fj60 with 33's. Doesn't look as high as yours.

Love the way it looks but not so great for highway. And it swings a lot on the road.
Would like to make it stiffer and more comfortable for road usage, specially for the lady to ride along without complaining.

Please also post the "after" measures for comparison. I don't want to ditch the 33's but may also consider other solutions besides lowering the car. Without hijacking your thread, have you consider airbags over your springs?

Again, I am newbie and not even sure if airbags only work with load in the car.
Well, this is the first 4x4 not stock I own and still a lot of homework to do. I will follow your thread with attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom