Holy shi*, so thats death wobble ! Me no likie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just took a run to dunkin donut world and on the way on a rutted, bumpy paved road at 45ish after getting jostled a bit by the bumps and grooves...it happened :eek: Scared the s*** out of me and I don't think the dog was none too happy about it either. The soccor mom in the mini van behind me was a little taken back by the antics as well. Good thing no one was coming down the other way as I took all of the road to get it settled down. First order of business is some clean shorts :grinpimp:

Its a new to me 76 40 with a 4" BDS lift & 31" cheapo tires. It rode like a bucking bronco due to the 0 (zero) shackle angle. Which was my first order of business to correct. I relocated the frame to shackle mounts so there is near a 45 degree angle. It rode much much better (also had to flip the shocks right side up :meh:) and has allowed me to attain greater velocities than before, when it was basically damn near undriveable. It wanders a bit so I've order up some 4 degree castor correction shims....which may solve the problem. I've taken a quick peak at the FAQ and thank God there is a sticky for the "death wobble". I'll be checking each and every item in that thread as I do not wish to repeat the wobble....nor does the dog.

Just took a run to dunkin donut world and on the way on a rutted, bumpy paved road at 45ish after getting jostled a bit by the bumps and grooves...it happened :eek: Scared the s*** out of me and I don't think the dog was none too happy about it either. The soccor mom in the mini van behind me was a little taken back by the antics as well. Good thing no one was coming down the other way as I took all of the road to get it settled down. First order of business is some clean shorts :grinpimp:

Its a new to me 76 40 with a 4" BDS lift & 31" cheapo tires. It rode like a bucking bronco due to the 0 (zero) shackle angle. Which was my first order of business to correct. I relocated the frame to shackle mounts so there is near a 45 degree angle. It rode much much better (also had to flip the shocks right side up :meh:) and has allowed me to attain greater velocities than before, when it was basically damn near undriveable. It wanders a bit so I've order up some 4 degree castor correction shims....which may solve the problem. I've taken a quick peak at the FAQ and thank God there is a sticky for the "death wobble". I'll be checking each and every item in that thread as I do not wish to repeat the wobble....nor does the dog.

I have experienced death wobble twice and until it happened to me I always wondered why everyone made such a big deal about it. I was lucky and both times it happened at low speed but it still is pretty damn scary.

try it in a 1-tonne 16 foot cube van , fully loaded trying to stop . hole thing would shake so bad you couldn't even hold onto the steering wheel , just close your eyes and keep your foot on the brake .

that was fun at 17 :) glad to say my cruiser doesn't wobble .

Yikes!! I have always wondered if I have the death wobble but after watching that video I now know I don't. I have 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2's on my 40 with stock steel wheels. They installed some lead inside the rim to keep the cosmetic look of the wheel but one I hit 50mph it has a bounce. I thought that is what the death wobble was but I guess I just need a static balance.

i experienced it in treeroots cruiser after he put on some wheel spacers and one was a shade off. when you feel like the rig is going to jump straight up in the air and land upside down, it's not a good feeling:eek: i believe i just threw them underwear away....don't even try to clean em.

I am currently hunting down the same problem. I have a 72 fj40. That has a SO and 4" lift. with 35x12.5x15 baja claws. We found some slop in our tie-rods and that cleaned it up alot. Ours drives fine untill you catch a good bump or have to swerve. I always say that it drives great but I hope no kids or dogs run out in front of me....Cause they are F***ed.
I havent read the FAQ section on death woble so ill have to check that out.
U might have already checked this but try jacking up one side of your front axle. Get ahold of your lifted tire at the 12 and 6 O'clock and push and pull to see if it has any play. The good new is that an axle rebuild kit on Coolcruisers.com is only $106 .
Good luck with it man shoot me a message if you find something that works really well for ya.
TXCRUISERFJ40:beer:

I am currently hunting down the same problem. I have a 72 fj40. That has a SO and 4" lift.
TXCRUISERFJ40:beer:

so and 4" lift:eek: are you mudrunning? check your caster. i wasn't so, but i did have about 5 1/2" of lift on the lemon and it required 4degree shims to make the steering good.

I'll be looking into all the points on the list in the FAQ this weekend and report back what issues I find. Although, with the major wandering factor and no castor correction shims in there,. I suspect that may be a large part of the problem. However, should keep an open mind with these things and not jump to the conclusion w/o first checking all the bits out. I also need to spend a little time on Cochon de Tere (aka Land Pig) prepping the engine bay somewhat as it's motor/machine work should be done this time next week and ready for me to reassemble and install back to wherein it came from next weekend. This will be a big relief getting that pig mobile.

Under shorts have been disposed of in accorance with all federal, state and local regulation...incineration I think :steer:. I wonder if the dog will get back in that thing ? :deadhorse:

FWIW a small amount of play in just 1 of the trunions will cause this. My 40 with 37's had me scared as well at 45 mph and started to shake like holy hell , I though a tire was comin off fo sure.

It shook me so badly the top almost came off. I only had a few bolts in it and they tore loose. I was scared s***less. My girlfriend who was with me was scared asked me later if that had ever happened before, I told her I had to change my drawers and vowed if it ever happened that badly again I'd scrap the truck. My castor angle was far from close.

That video above by trollhole is great.

When anyone "empowered in transport safety" reads a thread like this - they must surely vow to toughen up laws, regulations and enforcement in relation to vehicle modifications.

......Just sayin

(I would hate to think of some of these rigs approaching me on a highway from the opposite direction!!!!)

:cheers:

I love that video Troll :cheers: and apologize as I have nothing to report back yet on death wobble in the 76 40. Spent yesterday on the pig...looked at it's sad greasy, scaly nasty face and decided I couldn't put a nice clean freshly rebuilt motor in such a sad place. So out with the wire wheel etc....some POR15 and rattle can rustoleum and poof it is at least manageable now. Here is a bad pic. I will get back on the wobble issue next weekend and report back....I have to leave for work @ 3 and am not super motivated today, a very nice day here in SE PA.
pigbay.JPG

What the hell...it is a nice day and my daughters are home with their wagons, so I said to myself better get some shots of the herd o' cruisers while they are all here. Death Wobble will be there next weekend not all cruisers will....:frown: I gotta go clean up tools etc...put the pig in a blanket and get ready for work :crybaby:
thegirlswagons.JPG
insidecruisers.JPG
woeful60.jpg

Update

OK back on the subject at hand and going down the list of items posted in the FAQ write up on DW... the following were found to be the culprits...items m (loose front axle ubolts), n (et al loose front shackle bolts ...similar to worn bushing effect) and not on the list but mentioned throughout the DW FAQ, but definitely needs to be on the list, is incorrect castor angle due to 4" lift. I put some 6 degree shims in...tightened the loose ubolts and shackle mounting hardware and made a run down death wobble way at ever increasing velocities. Not only no death wobble, but with the proper castor angle, it does not wander and follow ruts...it wants to track straight. Castor is a beautiful thing.

I'll still be leary of the thing on rutted bouncy back roads for awhile...:popcorn:

While not perhaps your problem, tire balance plays a big part. Have a competent tire shop check the balance on the tires. That was the biggest culprit on my FJ40 "death wobble". The previous owner's kid had aired down the tires for sand duning, and apparently one or more of the tires spun on the rim, throwing the balance off. Missing weights or an incompetent job can cause this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom