Holley Retrobright LED Headlight Install Questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Another headlight post, so apologies right off the bat. Electrical work is my least favorite but looking forward to the DIY. I'm embarking on a headlight upgrade project with Holley's new rectangle 5x7 on my 1989 FJ62. Went went them because I wanted to have LED but keep a retro look and feel.

I've been following other LED upgrade posts and have gotten mix notes and documentation on the "switched ground harness". The Holley tech recommended two for me. Came with no instructions or documentation. So my immediate noob question is do you need to hook up each individual harness: One for Low-beams then another for hi-beams?

Looking forward to posting before and afters and general install.

Attached is the harness:
h840_03.jpg

Last edited:
I think it hooks up like this:
(You may lose the blue High Beam indicator in the dash with this wiring harness).

26CA8A86-6318-45DF-9683-F598627D6FCB.jpeg

Hey All,

Another headlight post, so apologies right off the bat. Electrical work is my least favorite but looking forward to the DIY. I'm embarking on a headlight upgrade project with Holley's new rectangle 5x7 on my 1989 FJ62. Went went them because I wanted to have LED but keep a retro look and feel.

I've been following other LED upgrade posts and have gotten mix notes and documentation on the "switched ground harness". The Holley tech recommended two for me. Came with no instructions or documentation. So my immediate noob question is do you need to hook up each individual harness: One for Low-beams then another for hi-beams?

Looking forward to posting before and afters and general install.

Attached is the harness:
View attachment 3221277

This harness is for a dual headlight system not quad. Maybe you need a second wiring harness to trigger the other 2 lights, my best guess on this.

Thanks @OSS. Looks like I need to run the harness on each pair of headlamps. I'll have to pick up this project next weekend... today's effort foiled by rusted screws and zip ties. Nothing about this Land Cruiser surprises me anymore...😂

IMG_6874.jpg

Ahh ok. FJ62 with 4 headlamps.
Just know — that more than one person has made the comment that the FJ62 headlight wiring logic was designed in hell. It’s baffling.
The dual bulb FJ60 headlights are straightforward, the four FJ62 headlights are not.

I have JW speaker LEDs in my 62 and I recall only having to flip the polarity for the high beams. The low beams were not as straight forward.

I picked up that Holley harness but didn’t need it because my Euro spec HDJ80 was positive ground switched, same as my Euro HJ61.

In the past I have built this harness and it works flawlessly.

Also, try hooking up the low beams as @OSS describes and switching the polarity of the highs (turn then upside down) as @gt7058a suggests. It was my understanding that the Holley harness just switches the low beams.

I’ll step out of you way in a minute:

Slather the rusty screws in Kroil until the weekend. Don’t have Kroil? Get some

Almost all of the small parts are still available new… The trim screws, adjustment screws, screw blocks, and trim rings. Order new. It will be so nice.

I picked up that Holley harness but didn’t need it because my Euro spec HDJ80 was positive ground switched, same as my Euro HJ61.

In the past I have built this harness and it works flawlessly.

Exactly, this is the way to do it and keep high beam indicator

Just wanted to follow-up and thank @OSS @gt7058a and @LA Z for the advice. I was able to get the headlights working.
I followed the diagram for the headlight harness and for the hi-beams I just flipped the connector upside down (with one the one center pin just hanging out). Low beam and hi-beams work! I do have to resolve the indicator not showing as described in the other threads that were shared.

A new issue did show up that I need to investigate further: Right turn signal blinks as a faster than normal interval.
All-in-all, it was a successful weekend project!

Actually, for those who have installed a headlight wiring harness, how are you going about concealing it?

Actually, for those who have installed a headlight wiring harness, how are you going about concealing it?
I am doing this today but with the Rally Lights harness and some Hella H1/H4.

My relays will tuck between battery and fender and run through fender to passenger headlights. For driver I am torn if I am going to run it in front of battery and then tucked up top between ac condenser and radiator or find a route in front of ac condenser that conceals it once grille is back on.

Wire Path.jpg

Wire Path 3.jpg

Can you see a noticeable difference with the Holley retro bright? Can you post a picture of them on at night with the field of view?

I know this should be in 4Runner forum but I'm here. Just got a 98 4Runner, sweet deal. Just a few days ago so I am doing a fine comb through it all. They have doae an LED set of headlights and my high beam indicator is out as well. Is this the same issue as you guys here? I am going to put a set in my 84 Cruiser as well so would....it/she....have this issue too. Thanks guys.

I know this should be in 4Runner forum but I'm here. Just got a 98 4Runner, sweet deal. Just a few days ago so I am doing a fine comb through it all. They have doae an LED set of headlights and my high beam indicator is out as well. Is this the same issue as you guys here? I am going to put a set in my 84 Cruiser as well so would....it/she....have this issue too. Thanks guys.
Yes, the relays for LED bulbs do not work with old school incandescent bulbs. If you install an LED in place of the incandescent bulb in the hi-beam indicator it should work with your LED headlight harness.

Yes, the relays for LED bulbs do not work with old school incandescent bulbs. If you install an LED in place of the incandescent bulb in the hi-beam indicator it should work with your LED headlight harness.
Thanks man, now I know why its out. Not looking forward to taking that cluster out......easy peasy on my 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom