Hole is plastic gas tank HELP !!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I drilled a hole in my plastic aux tank while installing my new bumper. I thought I had it blocked off with a piece of wood but I was off.

What is the best way to fix this? The hole is towards the top of the tank. J B weld?
Thanks

what size hole? might consider a pipe tap/plug if the tank is thick enough where the hole is.

Pop rivet, nut and bolt, pipe plug, plastic epoxy, pipe fitting with a cap??? It sounds like you're probably going to be the expert on this one. Let us know what works.

Mike, if it makes you feel any better, the guy I sold the very last NOS H41 transmission to [new in the crate, 10 spline output shaft] DRILLED A HOLE THRU THE TOP OF THE TRANSMISSION when he went to drill holes for the new shifter boot!:rolleyes:

I have it on good authority that JB putty [two part epoxy in a stick] will seal a fuel leak. I borrowed some from woody at the Roundup 5 years ago to seal the filler neck on my 40. I put off installing a new tank for about 3 years after that!

Are you gonna make K2?

Best

Mark A.

Thanks Just as you would have it ,the installation was going so well. Too well. I will look for the Permatex kit, if not the JB weld .

I will be at the RU . Not sure if it will be the 40 or 60. See you there. Mike

J.B. Weld sticks to metal much better than it sticks to plastic/nylon. Tap the hole with threads, find a tight fitting bolt into the threads, then apply two part J.B. Weld epoxy onto bolt. This way you will be relying on the tight fitting bolt more so than the epoxy, with the epoxy being more of a thread sealer than a hole sealer.

Don't forget to clean the tank out. No sense in cleaning out the lines, replacing the filter.

I've used "Seal ALL" to repair holes in gas tanks. It sets up in gas... and sticks very well to it's plastic cap.

I'd also suggest some sort of plug in the hole or patch over it. Best of luck.

J.B. Weld sticks to metal much better than it sticks to plastic/nylon. Tap the hole with threads, find a tight fitting bolt into the threads, then apply two part J.B. Weld epoxy onto bolt. This way you will be relying on the tight fitting bolt more so than the epoxy, with the epoxy being more of a thread sealer than a hole sealer.

That IS an important distinction. Thanks for chiming in Jim!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom