HJ60 A440F Transmission and Transfercase Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gears with all new seals, bearings, shift fork and collar for the 4WD shifter. There are lots of good threads on rebuilding the tcase so no more detail is necessary.

DSC_4438.JPG

One area that gave me great trouble is in the backlash adjustment of the transmission. This is step 26 and 31 on pages AT-135 to AT-138 of the A440 FSM. My belief after carefully studying the cutaway view is that the new aftermarket gasket (between the steel parking brake housing and the auto case) is a bit thinner than the original. I made a new gasket that was 28 thou thick and that brought the adjustment in step 26 to the minimum end of the clearance., 12 thou. For step 31 the clearance was 4 thou. Not being able to find the proper Toyota shim I elected to grind down a 1.5mm shim by 10 thou. Use a lathe to make a holder. Epoxy the shim into the holder. gently tap the holder in the 3 jaw chuck until a dial runs perfectly true on the face of it. Then slowly grind it by about 1/2 thou at a time until the material is removed. Then heat the holder to soften the epoxy and it falls out. This seems to have worked. Never mind the cuts in the holder, that was a failed attempt at clamping it. Any bit of pressure from the clamps distorted the shim therefore epoxy was used.

DSC_4439.JPG

Transmission and Transfer Case waiting for the valve body and pan.
DSC_4443.JPG

Valve Body rebuilt. Unfortunately most of the springs that measured under length are not available so I just cleaned and reassembled it. All the check valve seats showed wear but were in good shape. There are 2 parts of the FSM that are not accurate.
Step 6d on page AT-118 says to install 5 bolts however it should say 6 bolts because there is one in the mid of the cover that needs to be installed during this step.
Step 13 on page AT-123 doesn't list the bolt lengths properly. The 25 should be longer maybe 35 and the lowest of the 29.5 should be 25.
One thing that almost ruined the day was that one of the bolts almost stripped because the stainless plate wasn't lined up perfectly. I had to disassemble, tap and die the hole and bolt, clean it out and then loosen all the bolts a little, slide the SS plate so all bolt holes lined up then start all the bolts carefully then torque everything.
DSC_4444.JPG

great work.

good job.

and make sure you have gotten the TC rebuilt. The lockup clutch has a friction plate that wears out.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see someone attempt a DIY converter rebuild on this forum

Haha. fingers are faster than brain. rebuild -> rebuilt.

I guess if you have a horizontal lathe, a robotic welder and all the programming to put it back together.

I would LOVE to see someone attempt a DIY converter rebuild on this forum

Sorry guys I won't be doing this myself, I just dropped the TC off with my friend who has been rebuilding them for a living for the last 20 years.

EDIT: Update from the shop. The rubber seal surface is completely missing so I had to measure the shaft (measures 15mm) for a new seal. The fins were wearing in their slots so they tig welded them all back to original location. The input splined part had worn the rivet holes oblong so they repaired and welded that too. The clutch material for lockup is in perfect shape. I'm glad I sent this in for rebuild.

Last edited:
A little more progress. Hung up the assembly to install the valve body in the same configuration as the FSM. Plus added some oil to the transfer case and hope this gets it to the top rear bearing that I forgot to oil on assembly.
Torque Converter back from the shop.

DSC_4445.JPG

DSC_4448.JPG

Pan magnets and valve body installed. The A440F FSM doesn't mention the step of aligning the shifter pin in the groove however the Chassis FSM does. I was using the A440F manual so I forgot to do this and just luckily noticed it as I was installing the pan. Valve body had to be removed and reinstalled.

DSC_4449.JPG

Pin not in the groove.
DSC_4450.JPG

Pin lined up in the groove
DSC_4451.JPG

DSC_4453.JPG

Ready for installation.
DSC_4456.JPG

Test drive complete and everything is working great. The transfer case is no longer the loudest thing I can hear. Shifting is normal not lagging and erratic. Not exactly sure what the cause was but things are good after a couple of drives.

DSC_4458.JPG

Holy s***, some of you guys are really courageous…taking on a rebuild like the A/T.
Hats off to you sir.!

Tranny still holding together? Long-term test results please!

First and Reverse Brake (B3)

Used milling clamp set to compress this spring and a brass punch to tap out the bearing. This is more of the same.
Image of the rebuilt parts ready to go back in.View attachment 2463856

In this image are the two rods used to measure all the piston displacements and the clamp arrangement used to compress the springs for this assembly.
View attachment 2463857
First and Reverse Brake (B3)

Used milling clamp set to compress this spring and a brass punch to tap out the bearing. This is more of the same.
Image of the rebuilt parts ready to go back in.View attachment 2463856

In this image are the two rods used to measure all the piston displacements and the clamp arrangement used to compress the springs for this assembly.
View attachment 2463857
So you were able to air check your clutch packs when you checked the clearances?

Yes, rubber tip on an air gun, air pressure per FSM or if it didn't say just bring it up until it moves with a little snap to it. Most difficult thing was figuring out which hole to apply the air to but that wasn't very hard really.

One thing I should mention about this whole thing that I probably forgot earlier is that when you are final assembling the supports with the o-rings that sit between the main case and the part there is a tendency for the o-rings to get damaged. The case is smooth but the holes in the case have VERY sharp corners. The recesses in the part that slides in the case are not deep enough to contain the o-ring (of course because it needs to be compressed to seal) so the oring that is proud is sliced off by the very sharp corner when it slides past to the final position. I damaged one and had to replace it but if I did this again I'd break the edge of the transmission hole the very slightest amount so it isn't like a razor.

If someone wants more info on this quote this msg so i see it in my alerts and i'll expand on it.

Cool rebuild @Chris Wilcox

I have a 1990 A440F carcass recently pulled if someone wants one for FREE to attempt rebuild or practice with.

It runs great in first and second but just slips and spins past that, and reverse basically doesn’t work.

With only two gears and no reverse, I had to be very strategic where to drive it.

I won’t mail it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom