Hitch-mounted setup for transporting plywood? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While reading a thread about roof racks and carrying plywood (something I do fairly regularly), an idea crossed my mind.

A sheet of plywood, whether it's 4x8 or 5x5 would be a reasonably good fit behind the LX, if it were stood up vertically. A 4x8 would obviously protrude above the vehicle, but not so much that it would be a problem for a 10-20 min drive home.

So... has anyone seen a hitch-mount/item on which a sheet of plywood could be stood up and secured vertically? I'd imagine this setup would require something thick and soft to go between the rear hatch window and the plywood, and a strap around the top of the plywood to the roof rails.

The upside would be not having to get a roof rack and deal with the accompanying downsides, while still being able to transport large sheets of material without hauling a trailer.

That's an interesting idea. Motorcycle hitches do have a fairly wide rail that should take a few sheets of plywood just fine.

Although... I wonder if a similar rail - essentially c-channel, can be bolted down on a "normal" hitch carrier. That would probably be the most versatile option.

Interesting thought. My initial concern would be the aero considerations with supporting a large board in that orientation. Would probably require some serious verticle supports for it to not just blow over? Let alone getting on the freeway?

The stock rack honestly works fine for 4x8. When I've needed more, I tow a basic harbor freight utility trailer.

I'm not fond of most aftermarket racks because of the typical aero/MPG loss and potential wind noise.

Without some fairly substantial vertical support you'd likely have an issue with catching wind and trying to blow over. Maybe a hitch carrier with some uprights welded onto it would work, but unless you carry 4x8 material really often it's probably not worth the hassle. Don't doubt the force a 4x8 sail can generate at even 35MPH.

Interesting thought. My initial concern would be the aero considerations with supporting a large board in that orientation. Would probably require some serious verticle supports for it to not just blow over? Let alone getting on the freeway?

The stock rack honestly works fine for 4x8. When I've needed more, I tow a basic harbor freight utility trailer.

I'm not fond of most aftermarket racks because of the typical aero/MPG loss and potential wind noise.

My biggest concern with using the stock rack is getting the plywood up/down without damaging anything. I could likely get a hand loading at the store, but beyond that I'd be solo. Any tricks to getting plywood off "cleanly"? Taping towels everywhere?

Can't you just fit 4x8 sheets inside? It's over 48" wide above the wheel wells.

Much easier/safer:

-Second row folded down (but not up against row one...
-Third row out...
-Tailgate open...
-Hatch down.

They'll fit easily.

...until you add a rear bumper with swingouts. ;)

Last edited:
Can't you just fit 4x8 sheets inside? It's over 48" wide above the wheel wells.

That's what I do, several times. It leaves about a foot sticking out the back so you have to tie down the upper half of the tailgate. I have a chunk of 2" thick XPS insulation that fits over the top edge of the lower tailgate to protect and help with loading. Then you get to hear beep-beep-beep with a flashing warning on the dash all the way home. When I pull my upper gate apart to add work lighting, I'm gonna look for a way to fake out the switch so it thinks it is closed, to stop the annoying beeping.

If you plan to carry fragile stuff like drywall or rigid foam insulation vertical like that, it will need full support all the way to the top. Otherwise the wind force will snap them in half.

When I pull my upper gate apart to add work lighting, I'm gonna look for a way to fake out the switch so it thinks it is closed, to stop the annoying beeping.

Easy. Just use any appropriate tool to push the latch closed as though the striker on the lower tail gate did so. I used to do this to kill the dome lights when the hatch is open.. before I realized what the door button on the front dome light does.

Only trick is remembering to release it before actually trying to close the hatch again properly. If it's not back in the open position it'll slam against the striker and can't be good for the latch mechanism.

Inside the vehicle is not an option for me. I will soon have a dog crate in the back which will prevent a 4x8 from fitting. I guess I'll stick with the OEM roof rack idea for now, and bring the folding trailer (a bit of an effort to set it up) when carrying more than a single sheet.

I can't figure out how anybody can get a 4x8 sheet of anything secured on that stupid OEM rack. It's too short, and the side rails are only 44" apart. The shark fin antenna is in the way, it would get busted. And ya unloading by myself is a recipe for scratch & dent on my truck.

Cue banjo music

8tsM3BP.jpg

Inside the vehicle is not an option for me. I will soon have a dog crate in the back which will prevent a 4x8 from fitting.

So...when you fetch some plywood sheets 10-20 minutes away at Home Depot...you must take your dog to Home Depot in a crate for that errand?

:meh:<OKAAAAY THEN! ;)

So...when you fetch some plywood sheets 10-20 minutes away at Home Depot...you must take your dog to Home Depot in a crate for that errand?

:meh:<OKAAAAY THEN! ;)

Removing the crate will not be a quick process. Quicker to setup the trailer at that point.

Removing the crate will not be a quick process. Quicker to setup the trailer at that point.

Consider an easier way to transport your dog... so it doesn’t monopolize your truck 24/7. There are tie-downs that should take no more than a couple minutes to secure.

Last edited:
One last thought... You might want to consider buying an used OEM LC rack, since they fit...and are likely hanging around garages when roof racks get upgraded.

I’ll never understand why they thought the LX should have a mini-me RR.

It's about $20-25/day where I live to rent a 10' trailer from U-Haul. You can probably rent a lot of trailers before you approach the cost of the rack + mods and at the end of the day it's safer/hardly any liability, far less hassle, and you give it back when you're done and don't have to store it.

It's about $20-25/day where I live to rent a 10' trailer from U-Haul. You can probably rent a lot of trailers before you approach the cost of the rack + mods and at the end of the day it's safer/hardly any liability, far less hassle, and you give it back when you're done and don't have to store it.

This is kinda where I'm thinking, and I think it's a great solution. Home Depot and Lowes have pickup trucks for daily rental, pretty cheap.

@tbisaacs I see it up there but don't see how it's secured. Are those really full 4x8 sheets? Doesn't look like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom