Basic camping setup. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been planning out a very basic camping setup that is easy, not terribly expensive and requires no modifications except for a minor one.

Items involved:
- Window Sox
- Land Cruiser Rain Guards (slight modification)
- Vertx Storage Cubes
- Big Agnes Captain Comfort Deluxe mattress

The Window Sox are there to keep out the bugs and allow airflow through the cab by keeping the windows down. The rain guards are there to allow me to slightly open the windows for airflow if it is raining.

The storage cubes are a fantastic size when it comes to keeping gear sorted in the back of a Land Cruiser or Lx570. The storage cubes provide the final support for the bed at the rearmost section.

The Big Agnes Captain Comfort Deluxe in 52x78 is a perfect size for the back of a Land Cruiser or Lx570. With the seats all folded down, there is a slight dip where the second and third rows meet, but the support of the mattress spans the gap just fine.

I have not done extensive testing yet, but from a driveway test, it is unbelievably comfortable.

20231213_092440.jpg

20231213_093138.jpg

20240110_165827.jpg

20240110_165833.jpg

20240224_123007.jpg

I've been planning out a very basic camping setup that is easy, not terribly expensive and requires no modifications except for a minor one.

Items involved:
- Window Sox
- Land Cruiser Rain Guards (slight modification)
- Vertx Storage Cubes
- Big Agnes Captain Comfort Deluxe mattress

The Window Sox are there to keep out the bugs and allow airflow through the cab by keeping the windows down. The rain guards are there to allow me to slightly open the windows for airflow if it is raining.

The storage cubes are a fantastic size when it comes to keeping gear sorted in the back of a Land Cruiser or Lx570. The storage cubes provide the final support for the bed at the rearmost section.

The Big Agnes Captain Comfort Deluxe in 52x78 is a perfect size for the back of a Land Cruiser or Lx570. With the seats all folded down, there is a slight dip where the second and third rows meet, but the support of the mattress spans the gap just fine.

I have not done extensive testing yet, but from a driveway test, it is unbelievably comfortable.

View attachment 3565912

View attachment 3565913

View attachment 3565914

View attachment 3565915

View attachment 3565916

20240224_122958.jpg

20240224_125035.jpg

20240224_125055.jpg

20240224_125246.jpg

20240224_130732.jpg

I believe weather tech makes custom fitted sun shades for all of the windows. Might be a good add on to help for darkness/ minimize heat/ privacy.

That looks like an awesome addition.

My daughter and I gave the setup a test run this weekend and it worked great. It is difficult to deflate and roll the mattress the next morning. Especially when you want to avoid putting it on the ground. I was able to roll it on the tailgate, but it took time and effort. I'd say the effort was worth it to get a comfortable night's sleep. I wonder if there is an electric pump that would help deflate the mattress before rolling it.

I am just using a 30" Nemo pad, what I do in the morning is open the valves and just fold it over and throw my other stuff on top, then fold up the 2nd row up for piper(dog), your using all seats so maybe that works...

I have drawers and a fridge back there and do not need to store other stuff in that space... so no need to roll it all up overnight when it more than one night anyway.

just find a setup that works for you and how you camp, there is no wrong one

Exped has a pump called a widget. Not sure if it deflates or not. Whoever manufactured your mattress may very well make a pump. I do know deflate pumps are out there.

Exped has a pump called a widget. Not sure if it deflates or not. Whoever manufactured your mattress may very well make a pump. I do know deflate pumps are out there.
I have one, It sort of deflates. You have to hold the inlet fan to the valve on the pad.

I picked up an Ozark Trail Sidewinder at the local Walmart. It inflates and deflates well at a small size and price. The AC power outlet in the back made inflation and deflation super simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom