Hit an Elk! Need Advice on Body Parts Availability (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hit an elk last week and am trying to source body panels for my beloved FZJ80.
IMG_1381.jpeg
IMG_1380.jpeg

Toyota lists hood sub assembly and valence as in stock, but I’m not sure what “sub assembly” is. Fender is NLA. I haven’t dug into it too much yet but I’m sure that more things will be needed. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find parts, what Toyota still carries? If I can still source the oem hood and valence I’ll proceed with piecing “The Gray Goose” back together. Thanks for any comments and advice!

I am going to sound like a broken record on this, but... Spend some of your repair money on an ARB bumper. If you had one already You'd have zero body damage and minimal if any damage to the ARB bumper.

FWIW, I have the parts you need. But shipping them from here is pretty much a non-starter. :(

Mark...

Last edited:
I hit an elk last week and am trying to source body panels for my beloved FZJ80.
View attachment 3567521View attachment 3567522

Toyota lists hood sub assembly and valence as in stock, but I’m not sure what “sub assembly” is. Fender is NLA. I haven’t dug into it too much yet but I’m sure that more things will be needed. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find parts, what Toyota still carries? If I can still source the oem hood and valence I’ll proceed with piecing “The Gray Goose” back together. Thanks for any comments and advice!
Look in the Part out section

I am going to sound like a broken record on this, but... Spend some of your repair money on an ARB bumper. If you had one already You'd have zero body damage and minimal if any damage to the ARB bumper.

DWIW, I have the parts you need. But shipping them from here is pretty much a non-starter. :(

Mark...
Look in the Part out section
Really trying to figure out what Toyota has in stock first. What the heck is a hood sub assembly?

hood 53301-60250 looks like several online dealers have access
Right fender 53801-60223 Looks like a couple places have them but it is discontinued 81130-60395
Headlight 81130-60395 Discontinued
Clearance lens and body (corner lamp) 81611-60112 available
Lower Panel (valance) 53903-60030 still some out there

Classic Cruisers, in Poncha Springs, Metric in Geand Junction, are two yards that will have it all

Thanks for the replies! Ordered new hood and lower valence online, with pickup at my local Toyota dealership. Cost was under $900 which wasn’t terrible with no shipping cost. The fender is going to be harder to source. Will definitely check out Classic and Metric since they are within a days drive.

Classic Cruisers, in Poncha Springs, Metric in Geand Junction, are two yards that will have it all
For used parts I’d try Proffitts first. Jeremiah, the owner lives close to Gunnison.

Classic Cruisers is proud of their parts and price accordingly. Metric is also proud and may not even want to sell the parts.

View attachment 3567521View attachment 3567522

talk to brandon at classic cruisers in poncha springs colorado.....he has some great body parts

Photos of new OEM hood and valance.

IMG_1425.jpeg
IMG_1426.jpeg

Took about a month to get but worth the wait, probably new old stock. Found a good used fender on eBay. I don’t understand why you can get aftermarket fenders for ‘40s, ‘60s, ‘100s, but not for 80s! 🤔Time to start prepping for paint. BTW, people want an arm and a leg for good used NLA 80 parts!!!

Yeah I found a new OEM fender for my HDJ81 - only $420 - plus $1k sea freight, plus customs, plus figuring out how to get it from the port to my house. Haha

Ended up looking through the classifieds and found a guy parting out an LX450 and grabbed his fenders instead

FWIW, I have the parts you need. But shipping them from here is pretty much a non-starter. :(

Mark...
I am not so sure about this. Elk are large critters. Cows will be upwards of 600 lbs large bulls can be over a 1,000 depending on time of year. Their body mass is also very high. Unless it was a smaller cow or calf, I think body damage would be inevitable.

That and ARB bumpers fold up like a cupcake wrapper.

Last edited:
I am not so sure about this. Elk are large critters. Cows will be upwards of 600 lbs large bulls can be over a 1,000 depending on time of year. Their body mass is also very high. Unless it was a smaller cow or calf, I think body damage would be inevitable.
Yep, it was an adult cow. It was dark out and the road was snow packed so (fortunately?) I wasn’t going too fast. She was gone by the time I stopped. Don’t know if she survived or not.

You can ponder "what ifs" if you want to. I'm speaking from experience with multiple vehicles multiple incidents.

Mark...

You can ponder "what ifs" if you want to. I'm speaking from experience with multiple vehicles multiple incidents.

Mark...
What, you hunting with the 80 series? Not sure that it is an acceptable method of taking game by any Fish and Game department!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom