Hino W04C-T/Toyota 1W, W06D Series swap information (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow,, so much B series DNA.
On motorcycles, painting the inside of an engine is a big no no because it impeades heat transfer to the aluminum and therefore cooling.
I guess on cast iron it makes no nevermind and looks good too.

This is a water-cooled engine, so heat transfer through the crankcase isn't a huge concern. Heat is transferred primarily through the head and cylinder walls directly to the water jacket.

AFAIK this interior paint is used frequently in industrial applications (think mills, lathes and the like) to prevent corrosion, and resist oil adhesion. You want all the oil falling down into the sump to be fed into the oiling system, not sticking to the inside of the crankcase where it's not doing any good.

Here is the first major difference that separates the W from the B Series. The W receives 22 head bolts in place of the Bs 18. The 4 "additional head bolts", as Hino calls them, sit to the outside of the lifter bores. This allows 4 of the main grouping of 18 to thread in to what I am speculating is a stronger area of the block. On the B, these 4 main bolts sit directly in between the long lifter bores that lead down to camshaft cavity. The head gasket shows the pattern.
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG

That's interesting on the extra (small) bolts on the other side of the lifter bores. International uses a very similar design on it's VT365 engine (Ford 6.0 for the layman).

Loving this thread!

Hino was obviously interested in keeping the valve-train stiff. The rocker towers are similar to B, but rather than two M8 bolts, they have an M8 bolt and a massive M12 head bolt running though each of the five towers in order to secure them.
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG

Hmm just read up on it. Seems like a good idea. Although i haven't ever seen it before in a factory application.

This coating may possibly be factory applied. I found this photo from a thread in 2010, it shows a W with a rod through the block. The coating inside certainly looks the same... though the possibility of that engine seeing a prior rebuild and coating does exist.

IMG_1398.JPG

The W06 comes in two flavors, the normally aspirated W06E at 6.0L, and the turbo W06D at 5.8L. It's a little strange that the W04 Series uses C for the turbo, and D for NA, while the W06 uses D for the Turbo, and E for the NA.

The W06E produces 165hp and 304lb/ft of torque.

The W06D produces anywhere from 200 - 300 hp, torque is unknown at this time, but a good estimate would be 440 - 550.

The W06 will certainly be smoothe and have more power potential... but I have yet to find any available new.

I'm finding new complete turn key W04D engines for $8500 to $11,500. Those produce about 120hp and 200tq... they take turbos pretty easily.

do you think that there would be a possibility to go with a used instead of new or rebuilt from an engine supplier to get around epa issues, or are they just flagging it after the swap would be done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom