Toyota Hilux LN130 Motor swap questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Catastrophe has struck the 2.4Lte Hilux surf I recently acquired, and the timing belt tensioner gave out causing multiple valve stikes and shattering or cracking valves that then scored the head. long story short the head is ruined. It seems like getting a new head will cost almost as much as a new engine so, now that I have most of the 2.4Lt-e out should I attempt to swap to a 1kz-te? Or even try to convert it to run gasoline with a 5vz-fe? Otherwise, does anyone know where I could get ahold of a new head preferably without the cracking issues in the US?

Also, this is my first real mechanical project so if something is just wildly incorrect feel free to tell me. I am learning as I am going along.
Thanks
Kiyam

IMG-20231004-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20231004-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20231004-WA0002.jpg

Don’t put a gasoline motor in, that’s just silly IMO,

How mechanically inclined are you? Have you done motor swaps? I would swap in another 2LT, it’s a lot of work to do any engine swap.

Don’t put a gasoline motor in, that’s just silly IMO,

How mechanically inclined are you? Have you done motor swaps? I would swap in another 2LT, it’s a lot of work to do any engine swap.
I don't particularly want to make it a gasoline rig, it was more a thought.

I have never done a motor swap, but I would say I am mechanically inclined. I have done plenty of other smaller jobs and had this 2.4lte apart a few times. I don't mind doing the swap.
What about putting a 1kz in there? I think I would need a different transmission and probably figure out a way to make the fuel pump mechanical, but that seems mostly manageable.

Is your Surf an automatic or manual transmission model? The 1KZ-T was available in Europe and other markets (manual injection pump) and would be much easier to swap in than a 1KZ-TE. If you have a manual then you'd only need to swap out your bell housing and input shaft to put a KZ in, though you could probably get a complete engine/transmission combo for not too much more than an engine.

The easiest option would be to get a new cylinder head for the 2L-T and do a top end rebuild on the engine.

Is your Surf an automatic or manual transmission model? The 1KZ-T was available in Europe and other markets (manual injection pump) and would be much easier to swap in than a 1KZ-TE. If you have a manual then you'd only need to swap out your bell housing and input shaft to put a KZ in, though you could probably get a complete engine/transmission combo for not too much more than an engine.

The easiest option would be to get a new cylinder head for the 2L-T and do a top end rebuild on the engine.
It's automatic, which means it's more difficult I take it?

Yeah, with an automatic I would say just replace the cylinder head, unless you wanted to manual swap at the same time.

You could likely order an OEM Toyota cylinder head for a 2L-TE or 3L through a dealership, or buy through somewhere like partsouq.com. They have the 3L head in stock for around $1200. Part numbers are 11101-54121 for the 2L-TE and 11101-54131 for the 3L. Aftermarket heads are available for about half that price, but aren't necessarily trustworthy.

You could likely order an OEM Toyota cylinder head for a 2L-TE or 3L through a dealership, or buy through somewhere like partsouq.com. They have the 3L head in stock for around $1200. Part numbers are 11101-54121 for the 2L-TE and 11101-54131 for the 3L. Aftermarket heads are available for about half that price, but aren't necessarily trustworthy.
Great thanks! the 3Ls are better for heat management correct?

mmm thanks for reminding me to replace my tensioner. I have a new one sitting on the shelf, I'm just too lazy to install it

mmm thanks for reminding me to replace my tensioner. I have a new one sitting on the shelf, I'm just too lazy to install it
while you're in there, replace everything.

water pump, seals, tensioner, belt, oil seals, timing cover gasket/seal, idler pully's.

do it once, do it right, you'll thank yourself in the end, and have a solid reliable rig you can trust to get you there and back.

Buy the 3L head, rebuild your valvetrain with new parts, they are cheap.

No reason to do a swap. Lots of extra work. Bottom ends on these are extremely strong. As the other gentleman have said, replace all the components under your timing cover, get genuine Toyota gaskets and parts.

all the new heads I've ordered from Toyota came with new guides already. looks like the valves hit pretty hard is the camshaft ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom