Hino W04C-T/Toyota 1W, W06D Series swap information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hello dieselheads! This is the beginning of my, and anyone else that would like to add to, repository of Hino W04C-T swapability... mainly for North America, but all other places are of course welcome as long as we can keep what is available and where well defined. This engine is essentially a HD version of the B Series Engines, and I hope to document the major differences between the two engines. We will cover anything and everything pertaining to it.

A W04C-T was scored for a song last week. It had been completely gone through with about $3k worth of Genuine Hino parts. It will find a home in my BJ73. Much more to come.
IMG_1426.PNG

Edit, will be adding W06D/E information.
IMG_1425.JPG

Last edited:
well lets get on with it! don't tempt us with a damn stock photo. I've looked into that conversion as well. One would have to get acquainted with parts suppliers for that engine seems like its not very common. The bell housing area is massive on it so im looking forward to a solution for mating that to a Toyota trans

While the engine is not common in the USA, it is not terribly hard to find, either. Parts are not bad since the engine is not only still manufactured in the W04D-T industrial version, but saw use in marine versions here in North America.

The massive M Series transmission flywheel housing unbolts from the W04C block. I have the part numbers for the H Series transmission flywheel housing and bell housing, they come close to $1500 alone, and the input shaft appears to be different, too. It will be easier and cheaper to manufacture a plate that will bolt to the block and allow the H55F LC bell housing to bolt up. For that matter, just about any transmission can easily be adapted relatively easily as far as adapters go. I'm considering a Tacoma RC62F 6 speed.

11351-78020 Flywheel housing
31111-36131 Bell housing

Here are pics of my engine and the unbolted flywheel housing. It was completely repainted after rebuild, as many of these units are. I'll tear it down to the short block and make it pretty.

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

The earliest reference I can find for the turbo W is 1979, it was installed in Hino FB14 Trucks. This brings up the question of where the ever popular Cummins 6 and 4BT designs came from. The Cummins B Series certainly shares many similarities to the W. The Cummins B hit the market in 1983.

Excellent news... The flywheel is 300mm unit, clutch bolt circle appears to be 345mm. The pressure plate is a Borg and Beck style 4 arm with 12 springs. It is probably too thick for use with the transmissions and bellhousings in the LC. HD 1HDT clutches may work in here, but the input shaft spline will need to be matched. The Hino 300mm disc looks very similar to those, with 6 springs to damp, but the spline count is a masssive 1.5" x 10 for use with M Series transmission.

Is the Tacoma RC62F 6 speed an automatic? I would be interested in bolting one to a A750F if the ECU could be worked out..

Here are the basic hp and tq numbers comparing the base non intercooler W04CT to a 13bt.

W04CT
Displacement 3839cc
HP 125 @ 3200 RPM
TQ 260 lb ft @ 1800 RPM

13bt
Displacement 3432cc
HP 120 @ 3400 RPM
TQ 210 lb ft @

Here are the basic hp and tq numbers comparing the base non intercooler W04CT to a 13bt.

W04CT
Displacement 3839cc
HP 125 @ 3200 RPM
TQ 260 lb ft @ 1800 RPM

13bt
Displacement 3432cc
HP 120 @ 3400 RPM
TQ 210 lb ft @

Solid numbers Brian.

Are you sticking with a split case or are you going to utilize a different transfer case?

There are two other major versions of the W. The intercooled higher boost version of the the truck motor, and the higher boost 210 hp marine engine.

W04C-TI
Displacement 3839cc
HP 150 @ 3000 RPM
TQ est. 325 - 345 lb ft @ ???? RPM

W04CTI
Displacement 3839cc
HP 210 @ 3000 RPM
TQ est 400+ lb ft @ ???? RPM

The good is a fresh bottom end... built by someone with experience. The bearings may come out for a moly coat, and the pistons may receive moly on the skirts with a ceramic barrier on the tops.
IMG_1368.JPG

New Hino oil pump along with timing gears.
IMG_1369.JPG

The bad, some condensation snuck under the corner of the tape covering injector hole #1.... and made it down in to have some fun on the combustion chamber in the cylinder head. Nothing vital seams to be corroded, but I'll probably skim the head if the head gasket isn't the thickest part available.
IMG_1370.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom