High Milage 80 Series buyer concerns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I uses to own a 97 Lx450 and had to sell it a few years ago. I am looking to get back into an 80 series. I found a 40th anniversary, sage, that is located close to me. It is in good shape cosmetically and drives well. The thing that concerns me is the mileage. It has 255,000 miles on the engine. The owner says that it was serviced regularly but does not have the documentation. He says it is the original head gasket. When I asked if the axles had been serviced he said yes, but for some reason I don't believe him since he says yes to all the maintenance issues I ask about-- but has no documentation. The truck appears well maintained but the interior is a bit worn. He wants $7K but I don't want to spend more than $5k on it.

I am worried the truck will need lots of repairs like the cooling system overall, HG and a transmission lifespan is about 250k-300k before it needs a complete rebuild. Should I be worried about it or just jump in and deal with issues as they arise?

I think any truck you buy of this age could potentially require any/all the major maintenance items. Unless it was *just* baselined by a knowlegable cruiserhead (and if this was the case, why would he be selling?), HG could happen, PHH could happen, cats could die, brake overhaul, etc, etc. IMO, any of these issues could pop up on a truck with 120k or 300k, so I would be less concerned about the mileage and more concerned with the lack of documentation. Don't buy if you don't have a budget for repairs or maintenance--regardless of miles or perceived condition.

my $.02

How good are you with tools and all the information provided on making a repair?
This should determine your offer price?

How good are you with tools and all the information provided on making a repair?
This should determine your offer price?
I am decent with tools and have worked on 80 series and jeeps before. I do however like to outsource the big items like axle service or HG, since it's more of a time thing. I would baseline the vehicle immediately and can do that work, no problem. I might get a technician to look at it before purchase for peace of mind and go from there.

I understand how people like to have "documentation" on everything, but what about guys like me that do all our own work? I'm bad about saving receipts too! I'm just putting this out there, was he mechanically inclined? If so..... why question his integrity? I'm not trying to be an ass.... but usually people that think someone is lying...... is a liar themselves. Now if he gave you a reason to doubt him then GAME ON!
Again, I hate to be the ass all the time, but if he is telling the truth you might miss out on a really nice 80! Good luck with whatever you decide..... welcome back!

I understand how people like to have "documentation" on everything, but what about guys like me that do all our own work? I'm bad about saving receipts too! I'm just putting this out there, was he mechanically inclined? If so..... why question his integrity? I'm not trying to be an ass.... but usually people that think someone is lying...... is a liar themselves. Now if he gave you a reason to doubt him then GAME ON!
Again, I hate to be the ass all the time, but if he is telling the truth you might miss out on a really nice 80! Good luck with whatever you decide..... welcome back!

It's a good point Marine7. I asked him about the knuckle service and he immediatly said it was done. I had to explain to him how the Birf joints work immediately after and he couldn't tell me how much the service was. I think if you did the service it would be $1000 to $1400 you wouldn't forget about. I know he doesn't do the work himself, he takes it to a local small mechanic.

I am going to take it to a shop for a full inspection, if the owner allows and go from there. It's a nice 40th so I don't want to miss out. Appreciate the input here!

It's a good point Marine7. I asked him about the knuckle service and he immediatly said it was done. I had to explain to him how the Birf joints work immediately after and he couldn't tell me how much the service was. I think if you did the service it would be $1000 to $1400 you wouldn't forget about. I know he doesn't do the work himself, he takes it to a local small mechanic.

I am going to take it to a shop for a full inspection, if the owner allows and go from there. It's a nice 40th so I don't want to miss out. Appreciate the input here!
That's a good idea. I recommend everyone that had the slightest doubt about a used vehicle to take it to your own, proven mechanic. Some wince at paying someone $$$ to "just" go over a vehicle, but it's money well spent, even if it's for your own piece of mind!
My wife holds her breath when I am in public. She knows if anyone says/does something stupid, it will be me that calls them out...... 21 years in the Corps taught me to "call it as I see it". Again, I appreciate your reply, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular.
Can't wait to see some pics if everything checks out! Your a prior owner, so you pretty much know the sickness. I am a Land Cruiser ...... only been in mine for about a year now, I'm hooked bad! Good luck!

I have a 1993 with 271k on original engine (new HG) and transmission and it uses zero oil and the transmission is flawless. There are a few rigs here on mud with over 400k and many over 300k on the original HG. The transmissions, even the later A343, is an outstanding transmission that is trouble free for the most part and long lasting.
A HG job is somewhat tedious but not overly difficult or expensive if you do it yourself.
I consider the knuckle rebuild/axle servicing a one :banana: endeavor that is also fairly inexpensive if you do it yourself.
The market value of these vehicles is on the rise and I think you answered all your own concerns in you original post where you described how it runs and drives.

I am decent with tools and have worked on 80 series and jeeps before. I do however like to outsource the big items like axle service or HG, since it's more of a time thing. I would baseline the vehicle immediately and can do that work, no problem. I might get a technician to look at it before purchase for peace of mind and go from there.

Do this
block-test.jpg

Then buy it!

Sorry, I've said it before, but the base price for these things should be around $3k. Unless there is documentation that meaningful work was done. I do all my own work, but with email I can at least provide receipts for parts. You also know when you're talking to someone who some what knows what they did and if they're somewhat in the know. If you feel the guy is overselling, why not walk away? Like women, they're are plenty of fish in the sea.

You don't want to be the chump who over paid and ends up with axle service, hg, redoing interior, etc.

If we are now advising people to lay off buying a used cruiser because the HG *could* blow...we have reached peak overkill. It's fine to make sure that it's not blown already, along with other high priced gotchas, but if you're not prepared to tackle a few down the road issues yourself or pay for them, LC is maybe not the best choice. Use it until it dies, then decide to sell or repair.

W/r/t "base" price - 6k is the lowest broadly advertised price I've for one without major issues evident from pics or car fax. And I ran a LOT of carfaxes before I bought Luigi.

It really depends on the seller.

If he knows his stuff & can tell you about front axle seals & that they ride on the inner driveline, not the birf, what the "tuna can" is, what vendor he favored for his real Toyota branded parts, etc - then yeah, I wouldn't have an issue.

In fact I did just that on my 40th - It has 360K miles on it, but also came with a receipt from Slee for doing the HG 30K ago. The guy was the 2nd owner & was honest that that was the biggest thing he'd cut a check for, but he didn't look puzzled when I asked about the last axle service, or that he re-routed the hoses to bypass the rear heater. Totally rust free as well.

So while some sketchy ones you can't trust the seller are only worth 3K & you expect to do some work, plenty of higher miled ones are worth twice that - I DD the 360K one & have left my black 80 sittting for about a week now (ran it the other day parked just to keep loosened up) - but even @ 360K it drives as nice as my ~140K one.

if you don't have a spare $500 lying around for parts as needed, you should not be looking at a 20+ yr old vehicle.

if you don't have a spare $500 lying around for parts as needed, you should not be looking at a 20+ yr old vehicle.

And an extra $1000 under the mattress for when you burn through the $500

s***... $500 will barely cover changing out all the fluids and associated gaskets!

If we are now advising people to lay off buying a used cruiser because the HG *could* blow...we have reached peak overkill. It's fine to make sure that it's not blown already, along with other high priced gotchas, but if you're not prepared to tackle a few down the road issues yourself or pay for them, LC is maybe not the best choice. Use it until it dies, then decide to sell or repair.

W/r/t "base" price - 6k is the lowest broadly advertised price I've for one without major issues evident from pics or car fax. And I ran a LOT of carfaxes before I bought Luigi.

Agreed. Didn't we already have a thread with a poll that showed that the vast majority of original head gaskets are still intact?

It's not a PM thing. Unless you like spending thousands of dollars.

Also you should be able to see for yourself if the knuckle wiper seals have been replaced. And you only need some wrenches and something to probe lubricants with to check to see if the diff oil and knuckle grease are mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom