HFS springs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 4" HFS spring installed on my 40. What would happen if I remove a leaf spring? Would the ride (daily driver) be smoother?

Generally, yes, and many forum members have pulled leafs out to soften the ride. However, if you provide more information on your suspension and post up side shot photos of your shackle angles, you may get more input regarding additional factors that can also contribute to a harsh ride.

Here are 2 pics, I hope this helps.
DSC02266.JPG
DSC02267.JPG

Not a very popular subject......ok how about this. Would it be better to change the shock than remove a leaf?

Not sure about the leafs but those rancho's are not helping it at all for a smooth ride

I could be wrong, but those are probably the HFS shocks with red boots.

Also, from looking at your pinion angle (front)--do you have your shims in backwards? You want the pinion pointing "up" in both cases to minimize the driveline angle (ie: thick part of the shim should be pointing rearward under the front springs, and forward under the rear springs). Your front driveline angle looks pretty severe.

Do you need more photos?
DPV7070, is correct the shocks are HFS would I be better off with Bilstein 5125 for a 4" lift? Let me check on the shims.

Also, from looking at your pinion angle (front)--do you have your shims in backwards? You want the pinion pointing "up" in both cases to minimize the driveline angle (ie: thick part of the shim should be pointing rearward under the front springs, and forward under the rear springs). Your front driveline angle looks pretty severe.

This is wrong... the shims are installed correctly but they do look like aluminum shims which can get squeezed and cause the u-bolts to loosen. You want to use steel shims ideally. The pinion should actually be pointed slightly down to maintain caster on a axle that has not been cut and turned. When you add longer shackles the axle is rotated so the pinion is "up", the shims rotate the axle back.

Castor shims are mostly used to correct caster affected by adding longer shackles. Your shackles look stock in length. Did you add the shims to fix a steering issue? Your shims are in the correct orientation if used to add more caster.

How long have you had the springs in place? You might just need some time for them to break in properly.

It's pretty common to read about lift springs being very stiff, especially 4" because of the arch. They do break in over time but will never be soft like a flatter spring. Also, I believe the spring rates are higher for load handling. Throw 100+ lbs. in the back and see how much better it rides. If it rides much better with extra weight, then just remove leaves, you can always add them back in later after they get broken in.

If your springs are too stiff, your shocks don't get a chance to affect the ride because you need the axle to travel. Leave the shocks alone for now.

Your caster shims are correct. Your pinion angle kind of sucks, but it's the price you pay for not doing a cut and turn.

I would not remove a leaf, nor would I expect the ride to soften up over time. A short wheel base vehicle on highly arched springs is going to have a rough ride. Again, it's the nature of it. If you remove leaves, you lessen the load carrying ability, and increase the rate at which the springs wear out.

Eventually, you'll do a spring over. I'd just drive and enjoy it now. If this is your daily driver, my condolences.

Thanks for the correction guys, it was before my coffee. I guess I can add "cruiser tech" to my list of things not to do before coffee (flying, talking, etc.).

You could remove the shocks and take it for a little drive to see if it matters, but it's probably the spring arch, as pointed out. SOA with Bilsteins is buttery.

It is unlikely that your axle is ever going to touch that bump stop way up there.

I have the same setup on my 76' and do not have the shims and my shackles look more like the CCOT pictures. They are kidney busters so take a little pressure out of the tires and enjoy the ride!

I had my wife sit in the back for a few miles and the ride seem to be a bit smoother.
I read in one of the threads (I think it was Pin Head)
The rough ride isn't due to the shackle angle. It has to do with a mismatch between the spring rate and the weight of the truck.

So, we are going to remove one spring from each set. HFS has 8 springs in the rear and 6in the front.

Reviving an old thread, I know, but I am in the same spot with my Cruiser and the 4" HFS setup. Curious if you did in fact remove a leaf and what the outcome was?

I have had the HFS springs on my 40 for about 4 years and I think they are the same stiffness as the day I put them on. The only thing that has soften them up is putting the hard top on. I don’t plan on running the hard top year round, so that is not a viable solution. I‘ve thought about taking a leaf out, but haven’t done it yet. I would also be curious to hear from others who have done this.

Try some Bilstein shocks first. If you don't like them you can sell them quickly in the classifieds section. They work great on my cheap no-name 4" lift springs with new bushings and the ride is better than I would have expected. Make sure your shackles are not overtightened and binding the bushings up. Experiment with pulling a leaf out, but you will lose some ride height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom