This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen this installed in LX470 to bypass the secondary air injection mechanism. Does the 100 also have a Secondary Air Injection system?

My 2007 LC100 has one then. Thankfully its quiet at the moment.

It's not an "IF" but a "WHEN". Get the bypass or other options for full removal.

what is the reason for this air pump, why does it fail, and what happens to vehicle if bypassed?

what is the reason for this air pump, why does it fail, and what happens to vehicle if bypassed?
Have you read this thread...it may answer your questions.

Have you read this thread...it may answer your questions.
Yes but nothing describes if bypass added. As for its purpose its a bit hazy.

Thanks. I read that brief on the purpose and what a diverter does. Its not up my alley here in Calif to bypass. Federal laws apply but smog shops are hip to modifications. I wonder why a new airpump system is so expensive to install?

Last edited:
The primary reason for S.A.I. failure, is its air pump filter failure. Lexus recalled the GX for these same issue. The TSB stated: "Possibly" moisture as the cause of filter failure.

Block off the S.A.I. system, is only permitted for off road use. The Clean Air Act prohibits anyone from manufacturing, offering for sale, selling, or installing any part or component that bypasses or defeats emissions controls.

There is an alternative.

The primary reason for S.A.I. failure, is its air pump filter failure. Lexus recalled the GX for these same issue. The TSB stated: "Possibly" moisture as the cause of filter failure.

Block off the S.A.I. system, is only permitted for off road use. The Clean Air Act prohibits anyone from manufacturing, offering for sale, selling, or installing any part or component that bypasses or defeats emissions controls.

There is an alternative.

Did you happen to make that mod to my '07 Unicorn? I've got no issues so far...

Did you happen to make that mod to my '07 Unicorn? I've got no issues so far...
No it was after the Unicorn, that I first found this issue and created the mod to correct it.

It very easy to spot, in the ones I have modified. See the red and black UNI filter, next to throttle body. No tools needed to replace, once system is modified.
IMG_0679.JPEG

Today, when inspecting to see if I need to mod ASAP or if I can wait until I've more time or wait until a starter job.
I use a bore scope, to look at filter in the Air Pump under the intake manifold.
This S.A.I. filter is still good:
SAI pump filter good exsample borescope (3).JPG

014c.jpg

This filter failed (disintegrated),
A.I filter & fan blade exposed (3).JPEG

This filter is still good..
A.I filter & fan blade exposed (13).JPEG

I deleted my SAIS 3 years ago when my starter went out using the $75 slyfox eBay kit (which seems to be no longer available). No issues since. It also made it drastically easier to do a starter replacement and install headers as I was able to completely remove the SAIS tubes from the intake to the exhaust (after making some blockoff plates out of 1/16" aluminum plate).

Zero emissions testing here so I'm able to do this. Other states are not so fortunate.

It's amazing, how many admit to federals crimes online line.:jimlad:

I asked Bing Chat (AI): Penalty for violating emissions controls?
"According to the Clean Air Act and its regulations, violators of the prohibitions against tampering and defeat devices are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations. In some cases, criminal charges may also apply. Tampering and defeat devices are illegal and undermine vehicle emissions controls, which protect public health and the environment from air pollution"o_O

OH s***!

It's amazing, how many admit to federals crimes online line.:jimlad:

I asked Bing Chat (AI): Penalty for violating emissions controls?
"According to the Clean Air Act and its regulations, violators of the prohibitions against tampering and defeat devices are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations. In some cases, criminal charges may also apply. Tampering and defeat devices are illegal and undermine vehicle emissions controls, which protect public health and the environment from air pollution"o_O

OH s***!
There are currently around 200,000 pages of Federal regulations. I'm well aware of several thousand pages of them that I help my clients comply with as an environmental consultant for my day job - including the Clean Air Act. The Clean Air Act gave USEPA the power to delegate primary enforcement to the states (via USPEA approval of a state-developed regulation and permitting agency), which they did for my state, which maintains a state-led air quality and air permitting agency.

My state does not enforce the Clean Air Act for passenger vehicles outside of a few counties that are in air quality non-attainment (but does enforce it for industrial emitters statewide). Since we generally have good air quality, we don't need to do emissions testing to meet USEPA air quality standards over the vast majority of the state (115/118 counties). The tests they do have in those 3 counties are only a OBDII status check and wouldn't catch a SAIS delete.

Therefore, there is no active enforcement mechanism for myself or anyone else in my state deleting the SAIS. As I listed in my other post, other states do have regular testing and more active enforcement mechanisms, which may catch a SAIS bypass. I'm lucky to live in a state that permits and encourages a high degree of personal freedom, which is not the case with many other states.

Last edited:
Let me first say. I was not looking for reason why the S.A.I System are failing, when I found it. I was looking for why CATs are both failing (P0420 & P0340), and when replaced, they fail again in the 2UZ-VVT.

The S.A.I pump filter failing, can cause more than $20K damage (SAI system, engine & CATs).
We've four choices to keep engine & CATs healthy:
1) Do nothing until forced to, due to failure. Do or die!
2) Keep replacing the S.A.I. pump as a PM (costly). Keeping all emission equipment working as design.
OR
3) Block off the system. Not legal under federal law in the USA. Which doing so, increasing emission (pollution). Personal choice, that affects every living thing on the planet, IMHO!
4) Modify the system with a replaceable $20 filter. Keeping all emission equipment working, as design..

There are currently around 200,000 pages of Federal regulations. I'm well aware of several thousand pages of them that I help my clients comply with as an environmental consultant for my day job - including the Clean Air Act. The Clean Air Act gave USEPA the power to delegate primary enforcement to the states (via USPEA approval of a state-developed regulation and permitting agency), which they did for my state, which maintains a state-led air quality and air permitting agency.

My state does not enforce the Clean Air Act for passenger vehicles outside of a few counties that are in air quality non-attainment (but does enforce it for industrial emitters statewide). Since we generally have good air quality, we don't need to do emissions testing to meet USEPA air quality standards over the vast majority of the state (115/118 counties). The tests they do have in those 3 counties are only a OBDII status check and wouldn't catch a SAIS delete.

Therefore, there is no active enforcement mechanism for myself or anyone else in my state deleting the SAIS. As I listed in my other post, other states do have regular testing and more active enforcement mechanisms, which may catch a SAIS bypass. I'm lucky to live in a state that permits and encourages a high degree of personal freedom, which is not the case with many other states.

I'm curious, why did you block-off your S.A.I. system?

Interesting, you make a living helping others navigating environmental laws. So if a state does not enforce, that makes it okay?

As a professional, in the in the business of the environment laws. Do believe, pollution has no affect on the climate?

Personal choices and freedom are important, of that I agree!

I admit, I'm a polluter and have been all my life. Even before the formation of the EPA or any emission controls systems. But I instinctively knew, pollution was harmful even before their creation. It was hard not to. When my eyes become irritated and breathing difficult, during temperature inversions. Which trap in the air/pollution, not allowing to move out of area.

I love my 100 series and I'm a gear head to the end. But I I've always keep my vehicle running as designed and well tuned. With my GTO, yes I built it. But back then, we didn't have any emission systems.

I do not block off S.A.I. systems. Not because of fear of prosecution. But because it does help reduce my engine emissions, even it only tiny bit.

I'm a Denver native, living here all my life. Before pollution controls, it had one of the worst brown clouds hovering over the city in the world. Some days you could only see the tops of the skyscrapers, sticking out of the smog if even those.

I can remember one day my brother and I, were flying his twin engine to Baja Mexico out of LV NV. We could see layers and layers of smog as we approached the boarder of Mexico. Yet not one city as far as the eye could see. The smog was coming from hundreds of miles away, form the coastal city in CA. So it became very apparent, even 50 years ago. Pollution doesn't just go away, it moves.

AI can be wrong. But here is what AI has to say, when asked: Can a State, overriding federal emission laws:
"No, a state cannot make emissions tampering legal. The Clean Air Act and its regulations are federal laws that apply to all states and territories of the United States12. States and local governments may have additional laws and regulations that prohibit or restrict emissions tampering, but they cannot override or contradict the federal law. Therefore, emissions tampering is illegal in every state, regardless of any state law that may suggest otherwise."

I'm curious, why did you block-off your S.A.I. system?

Interesting, you make a living helping others navigating environmental laws. So if a state does not enforce, that makes it okay?

As a professional, in the in the business of the environment laws. Do believe, pollution has no affect on the climate?

Personal choices and freedom are important, of that I agree!
I blocked it off pre-emptively to address a failure as I was pulling off the intake anyway to replace the starter. Glad I did it too as the starter was an absolute bear to replace without bending those SAIS tubes out of the way. Had I not done the starter I would have bypassed it.

Driving any V8 SUV or truck, particularly a 100-series or GX470, is a not a good choice environmentally. The vehicles are large emitters of CO2 and have much worse tailpipe emissions than just about any modern vehicle. While deleting a SAIS may increase the emissions small amounts during a cold starts, but the vehicle as a whole is bad enough for the environment it's not even a drop in the bucket, and would have the same emissions profile as a pre-VVTI 2UZ anyway.

By that line of logic, is it immoral to drive a pre-VVTI 100 series when a VVTI/SAIS version is cleaner? Or is it immoral to drive say an 80 series or a 1980s mini-truck that has even worse emissions than a vehicle from the aughts, with our without a SAIS bypass? All are perfectly legal in the eyes of the USEPA and state governments, despite the higher emissions. It seems like a slippery slope to try to find any kind of a moral high-ground for anyone who owns a ICE vehicle, especially for something as trivial as bypassing a failure prone system that only operates for a few minutes during cold starts.

At the end of the day I'm fortunate to live in an area with good air quality, where the tiny emissions difference from a SAIS bypass has no effects on my health or the health of other people. We don't have enforcement for those reuglations here because we don't need them for our health. It's a benefit of living here and a detraction from living in a large metro near the mountains (Denver, LA) that traps smog/emissions, hurting people's health and requiring additional regulations.

I'm so tired of the idea that particles of that foam or plastic fan pieces make it through the sai valve opening, into the collector, into the head, back out through the exhaust valve, into header and onto the front face of both cats.
This idea of killing and blocking the cat is absurd.
20k USD of damage, what metrics are you speaking of?
SAI valve stems, yes, you and I have valves on the shelf that show it.
I'd look for specs of red on the fan if you install one after 10k miles, if you live in the cold. That's documented.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom