Here goes a lot of work.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of the garage after 7 years or so, I am finally ready to finish this rig. I have owned it since I was 16 (about 21 years). Some aspects are great, some not so much.

First, I am in Salt Lake City, so if anyone knows a good shop, let me know.

This is a 1975 FJ-40 with a circa 1990 small block Chevy 350.

I bought it in 1993. The rear was heavily rusted out, as well as the tub and rear quarter panels. I sent it to a SLC cruiser shop. A very talented, but work averse AO, took the project over for a reskin, lift, reverse shackle etc.

13 years later, I got the truck back from his successor. As you can see, the reskin is complete and is really quite amazing work. The tub, rear, and sides up to the doors is pretty much brand new. The inside has a black Rhino finish which I am not sure about.

The lift is pretty high and sits on some steel fabricated risers. The shackles are new, the suspension looks shot and nonexistent.

It is a bit of a frankenstein. Original color was yellow. The hood looks from a different year, the doors are red and I'm not sure what year. The ambulance doors are original with a little rust but I think with some work should be ok.

The roll cage you see was custom built by a good guy in SLC no longer working, as far as I know. He also manufactured and installed a front bumper. The seats are from a 1976 Porsche 912 (I am considering replacing with AM seats).

As you can see, the rear is empty and given the custom tub, no holes drilled other than for the top to fit.

It is with my mechanic getting the engine running etc. After that, I need an experienced shop to finish it up (Tires, paint, suspension)

Oh, there is also PS from a 1976 Monte Carlo, which works surprisingly well.

I welcome any advice, suggestions, comments or criticism.

I am not the most experienced with the Cruisers, but I love this one and can't wait to finally finish it.

ZW

FJ-40 driver side rear.jpg

FJ-40 profile driver.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FJ-40 tub.jpg

FJ-40 behind with bumper.jpg

It really does not look to be in bad shape, My first car I bought when I was 16 was an fj40, a lot more then 21 years ago. Man I wish I would have or could have kept it.

It isn't in bad shape. I actually put a lot of work into it. It was just a long time ago. I'm just glad I kept it. But it looks like a lot of work. I'm sure a paint job would make go a long way.

You have to keep the red doors!

20150223_182825.jpg

nice project ... looks like most of the work remaining is mechanical, aside from paint and some fine-tuning re the body ... you're in a good place ... get it to where you can at least drive it, and then fix as you go ... makes all the work more palatable in my view ...

nice project ... looks like most of the work remaining is mechanical, aside from paint and some fine-tuning re the body ... you're in a good place ... get it to where you can at least drive it, and then fix as you go ... makes all the work more palatable in my view ...

Thanks. I will do just that. I need to see it drive before I can really get excited about dumping all of my $$$ into it.

Wow, what a strange tale. When did you last drive it?

You should hold on to it a few years more, it's close done now

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom