What goes here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a set of holes on both sides of the rear of my '71 FJ40. Does anyone know what would have mounted here?
Holes.jpg

That is a Columbian-made after-market accessory hardtop. It's anybody's guess what someone attached there.

Isn't the spare tire supposed to be mounted on the right side of the vehicle in '71?
I suspect you are correct, but then it came to me this way. I think the existing tire mount was fabricated out of scrap metal. I thought about flipping it to the right side but then the latch would be on top rather than the bottom... If I could find a right hand side assembly at a reasonable price I might swap it. But then I would have to drill new holes and plug old holes... Probably just leave it as is...

I suspect you are correct, but then it came to me this way. I think the existing tire mount was fabricated out of scrap metal. I thought about flipping it to the right side but then the latch would be on top rather than the bottom... If I could find a right hand side assembly at a reasonable price I might swap it. But then I would have to drill new holes and plug old holes... Probably just leave it as is...

If you swap the carrier to the right you may not be able to open the door. Best case you block easy access to loading and unloading with the open door blocking one side and the open tire carrier the other.

Isn't the spare tire supposed to be mounted on the right side of the vehicle in '71?

On a LHD vehicle 71 it should have been on the right side. If you look at the rear step its for the 9/73+ with the wider three color len tail lights. Bumperettes also look aftermarket. Right and left side being same. They are also too close together. Besides being a Columbian import it looks to be retore in a not stock configuration.

On a LHD vehicle 71 it should have been on the right side. If you look at the rear step its for the 9/73+ with the wider three color len tail lights. Bumperettes also look aftermarket. Right and left side being same. They are also too close together. Besides being a Columbian import it looks to be retore in a not stock configuration.
I'm learning that there is very little "stock" on this vehicle... It is a Frankenstein, which makes it fun to troubleshoot or repair. When I say it is a '71 I'm saying that many of the '72+ parts won't work with what I have without modifications... This will never be a show vehicle...

I assume MPR Hard Tops is no longer in business since I can't find any way to contact them...

I assume MPR Hard Tops is no longer in business since I can't find any way to contact them...

Since the last 40s rolled out almost 40 years ago that's probably a safe bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom