Here are the Toyota part #s for a starter rebuild. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the chances that these parts will work on a Bosch starter??

Is there such a thing as a Bosch starter for a Land Cruiser? Or is it a rebuilt ND starter that was rebuilt by Bosch?

Zack

I finally decided to do this mod.
I ordered the parts with the exact part numbers in this thread but I ran into something that is potentially off.
The new contacts are not the same with. The actual contact area of both parts have different thicknesses.
So that the plunger may or may not contact both at the same time.
On the contacts that came out of the stock starter, they had the identical thicknesses.
But the new ones with the same part numbers in this thread, have slightly different thicknesses meaning the plunger will hit one before the other.
Is this why the part numbers are coming up wrong on the Toyota computer?
Is this why some people have difficulties after doing this mod?

Also, it seems like some sort of grease should be applied to the new plunger? If so, what kind?

Also, it seems like some sort of grease should be applied to the new plunger? If so, what kind?

Mobil Polyrex EM is what commonly gets used on sliding parts and bearings of electric motors. Not typically found in auto parts stores, but if you have a Grainger or similar nearby you might have some luck. I'm looking around my area to find some so I can R&R the fan and wiper motors in my 62, and also to use in my starter rebuild now that the parts are here. Took 26 years and 300K miles, but the factory starter finally gave up, so I've gotta top off my solvent tank, clean the starter and dive into the rebuild probably tonight after school.

I just knocked out this fix last weekend. My starter was taking a bunch of clicks before turning things over. So, I figured it was better time than never...

Must be a :banana: job? It's dirty under there but pretty simple overall. No problems getting things unbolted. Looked like an aftermarket unit, not OEM. The old contacts in there were worked for sure. Also, the blue rubber cap on the contact stud did crumble on me, so I ziptied it back in place rather than leave it to the elements. I put a very very light swab of great on the plunger but it wasn't the noted special kind. Hope that won't fark things up. Cleaned up the ground wire and ground point on the frame. It's starting every time now! Working on your FJ is fun!

Got my starter pulled and taken apart yesterday (with the FSM plus my own pics for reassembly reference) and all parts without bearings in the solvent tank (mineral spirits in mine). It was absolutely caked with greasy dirt when I pulled it off, so cleaning is going to be a long task. Surprisingly it came right off the block with no fuss, and it was never removed since the truck was manufactured. Blew my mind, but hey, I'm not complaining!

grease.jpg
I ordered mine yesterday via Amazon(Grainger) and it arrived today. Don't really need all of this but whatever.

Mobil Polyrex EM is what commonly gets used on sliding parts and bearings of electric motors. Not typically found in auto parts stores, but if you have a Grainger or similar nearby you might have some luck. I'm looking around my area to find some so I can R&R the fan and wiper motors in my 62, and also to use in my starter rebuild now that the parts are here. Took 26 years and 300K miles, but the factory starter finally gave up, so I've gotta top off my solvent tank, clean the starter and dive into the rebuild probably tonight after school.

That would have been nice. Not sure what else to use this for

That would have been nice. Not sure what else to use this for

I'd keep it stored for the next electric motor you break open. Never hurts to put a little new lube on bearings (grease for ball bearings; but sleeve bearings may require something different). I'll eventually R&R my blower and wiper motors, depending on the condition the commutators are in when I get to them, so I'll have a little more use for this stuff. Certainly not enough to use up more than just a fraction of the tube, but I'm sure I'll find more uses in the future.

Got my starter all broken down and soaking in some mineral spirits. My plunger was fugly when I pulled it. Contacts had significant wear, but certainly not much. I mic'd my bushes too and they're just over halfway through their service life. I'm honestly tempted to swap 'em out for new ones while I've got it apart, especially since they're so cheap. Gotta have the truck back together by Friday though, so might not be able to this time.

I did notice that the plunger came out completely dry and had no signs of lube remnants on it. It looks like it's meant to be installed dry in the cylinder. That said, a very thin film of grease shouldn't hurt, and might help in long term use.

I did not pull apart the clutch or commutator assemblies though, or put them in the tank. No press handy and I didn't want to pound on it, even with a brass drift. I'll pack a little new grease into the ball bearings though, and all other moving parts inside the "gearbox" of the starter.

Last edited:
So I noticed something interesting with the contacts. Saw it in the first post of this thread too, but didn't think much of it until I did mine. It looks like either the 80 series 3FE starter has a larger positive lead contact, or at some point Toyota upgraded the design altogether for the contacts and determined that this was a better design. Here's a direct side-by-side comparison of the old and new positive lead contacts:

I took my micrometer to it, and the extra ears provide 27 sq. mm more contact area total for the plunger's contact. This makes sense since the increased contact area would allow for more current to pass to the other contact (which interestingly enough still adheres to the original design). If I had enough money to spare I would've ordered a second positive kit so I could use the larger contact on the downstream side too. Could've possibly given the starter a good amount more OOMPH for better cold weather cranking.

I did this rebuild about a month ago and am having issues when it is below 20 degrees F outside. The starter will click (more of a grinding noise) and not engage the engine to turn it over. I was going to pull the starter and try to grease the plunger....looking for a grease that will be good to around -10 degrees F. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I did this rebuild about a month ago and am having issues when it is below 20 degrees F outside. The starter will click (more of a grinding noise) and not engage the engine to turn it over. I was going to pull the starter and try to grease the plunger....looking for a grease that will be good to around -10 degrees F. Any thoughts?

That Polyrex EM seems to be pretty good. I used it on the gear assemblies, bearings, and put a thin film around the body of the plunger in hopes of preventing just what you're dealing with. The tube was $5 after tax at the local Grainger. Out of 14oz, I probably used half an ounce, tops :hillbilly:

Pulled the starter last night to find the new spring from the rebuild kit completely gunked up with nasty looking grease. I cleaned it well, cleaned the grease from the inside of the starter best I could and hit it with a touch of silicon spray (would have prefered the EF mentioned above, but not locally available...many I'll grab some the next time I'm in the city). Started right up this morning but temps were a bit higher - about 25 degrees, so the true test will be later in the week when the lows are in the teens.

This morning was -2 degrees F. Went to start the cruiser and had 2 no starts, then on the third time the starter engaged and it fired up. Seems like the plunger being gunked up was the problem, but still not desirable results since we're far from summer up here. Any thoughts on the EM grease noted previously vs. the silicon spray at low temps?

14) Reinstall the cap and re-attach starter motor lead to "left" side of the starter (12mm). Be sure to reinstall the rubber cap over the starter motor connection. Mine was a little brittle and cracked, so I used some caulk to repair it and hold it in place. A replacement cap would be nice, but no part number is shown for this.
Starter_08.JPG

Has anyone ever found a replacement rubber cap for the left side stud in this picture? I replaced the contacts/plunger in my 98 4Runner recently but the boot over that stud has basically disintegrated and could not be put back. I'm assuming I need some kind of insulator over it...

I cant seem to find these parts . Where would be the best place to get them ?

I "think" the parts are still available from Toyota, but since you are in AU I am not sure what your parts support is like.

Zack

I cant seem to find these parts . Where would be the best place to get them ?

American Toyota.... 1-800-432-6668 Ext. 8 should get you to Cruiser Dan.

Just called the number and they picked up on second ring. Cruiser Dan is still there, so just ask for him and he'll hook you up.

Pretty cool to see an almost 9-year-old thread helping out the LC community!

Edit: Duh, sorry, you're not in the States. Try American Toyota's web site? http://www.americantoyota.com/parts/index.htm
Just insert the 3 part numbers in the web form and they'll get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom