Here are the Toyota part #s for a starter rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota Remanufactured Starter

FYI: When I saw the label Auto Start Quality Assured Reman, I knew I was looking at a non-Toyota starter on my new 88 FJ62. From Day 1, it didn't sound as confidence-inspiring as the original starter on my tRUSTY FJ62.

I searched & read all the starter posts, and then using them & zcruiser's XL guide, I called CDan & bought a Toyota remanufactured starter.

Looked spiffy right out of the box, but a nagging remembrance of someone's caution to check the lead wire from the magnetic switch to the starter for corrosion in addition to the other 2 bolt-on connections, prompted me to pull that nut & check before bolting it in.

Voila! Corrosion on a BRAND NEW, well REMANUFACTURED, Toyota starter. Since it did have a new rubber boot over it, someone had pulled that connection & maybe scuffed off some corrosion, but it wasn't clean. Hit it with some emery cloth (as I had all the ground & positive starter cables), dielectric grease & then bolted it in. She now starts just like her sibling.

Is there a record for the most years on an original FJ62 starter? tRUSTY's is going on 19 yrs 8 mos now.:cool:

I've got a joke for ya related to this thread:
Called my local Toy dealer for a price on the above 3 parts in the opening post...
$93.89 before tax!:eek:

Good write up!
Thanks

Is there a record for the most years on an original FJ62 starter? tRUSTY's is going on 19 yrs 8 mos now.:cool:

My stock 1988 FJ62 has the original starter which makes it 20 years this month. I've owned it since new with 4 miles on the odo.

thanks for sharing

I'll get to it someday but I've been living with the clicks for about a year now.

Mainly happens when it's cold and I assume it requires more power to get'er moving...

...so what's a chronic procrastinater to do?

...Take a jumper pack under the truck, unscrew the primary lead, and clip on the pack in series (black on lead and red on starter bolt terminal) so that you got 24V only on the starter. It takes me about three minutes to do it and put it back after starting.

Works every damn time and sounds like race car starter. :)

BTW - I know quite a few outboard racers who have to do this because of the increased compression of their motors, and the consensus is that it can reduce life but usually holds up longer than the motor (considering those motor spend most of their time at 8K+)...so I figure Denso unit to be a bit better than the merc unit so I don't worry about it...I'm actually thinking about wiring this in full time with a second batt (and after rebuild).

Went to local Toyota dealership to get contact parts.
Could order; get in a few days.

BUT on-hand they carry 4 slightly different contact sets.

28226-74070 looks like the above pics for the solenoid to starter motor side.
$ 12.89

Fits & works like a champ.

Someone asked about longevity. Don't know about a 62,
but my FJ 60 (orig starter) , first contact replace : 459513 miles . . .

Wanted to add the paper installed. Very nice write up, thank you.
cDSC04942.JPG
cDSC04942.JPG

This might help... Good Luck!
fj60starter.jpg

Try that again!
Starter fj60.jpg

I am new to the forum. Please help me to find CDan for his number so that I can order the parts. Thanks.

I am new to the forum. Please help me to find CDan for his number so that I can order the parts. Thanks.

American Toyota.... 1-800-432-6668 Ext. 8 should get you to Cruiser Dan.

I took the starter out & unfortunately took the housing off the starter motor in the process.

Inside the housing, there are 4 'contact bars' that are extended & not allowing the motor to seat all the way into the housing. How can I get the motor all the way back into the housing?

Thanks.

So I'm in the process of replacing the contacts in my 99 4Runner and everything has gone fine so far. However, I only purchased the contacts and not the entire kit...so I do not have that paper that goes on the right side contact. Not to mention when I took the starter apart, the paper that was there was on the outside of the starter housing and not on the inside like described in this write up. Should it actually be on the inside of the housing...oh yeah, and what is it for. I have a funny feeling that I wont be able to purchase just that paper piece.

Thanks.

Just wanted to say thanks to zcruiser for the rebuild picture sequence and instructions. I know it's been a while since you posted that, but a quick search revealed this great thread. Aside from having a significant amount of difficulty taking the bottom 17mm bolt off the body, the rest of the process was simple. Anyway, thanks neighbor - I'm in Durham!

My FJ62 is rolling strong and starting consistently. No more stranding visiting Grandparents!

Thanks for write-up. My fj62 is having hard time turning over or starting. First symptom sluggish turnover. Then would not start and clicking noise from passenger side well.

The following things checked and were ok: battery, alt and starter. Cables look good.

The starter is a rebuild, doesn't say Denso on it. Is it worth rebuilding or should I replace with a new starter? If so, which one? CCOT denso rebuild? napa?

Thanks - very cool. :clap:
The starter on my 62 had been clicking occasionally. Parts were $48. & change from American Toyota; took only a few minutes to pull the starter, and a few more to remove and install the new parts... piece of cake.

Thanks again for the write-up and pics... :cheers:

Thanks for the post, I thought my starter was toast. You saved me some serious $$ and gave me the confidence to rebuild my starter today. I hope it last. The worst part was fighting the face full of grease and dirt as I worked under the old leaky 3fe. The ground cable was not attached to the starter bolt on my 91. I hope it is supposed to be like that and was not relocated by someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom