help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a used 3fe engine for 1989 fj62. After switching everything over from the blown engine to the new one, we discovered that the new engine had come from a cruiser with a std transmission and not an automatic. My questions are as follows...1. Does anyone offer a bushing that will support the torque converter in the rear of the crank?
And the rear plate of the engine block on the new engine has a different location for the starter and will not bolt up to the trans properly. 2. Is their an adapter plate made for this issue or can I swap the rear block plates?
I can't be the first guy who's been in this situation...Thanks in advance!

No manuals were offered in the states in the 62, so it must be an overseas engine. Might be a good idea to source a third pedal and a manual tranny and go that route. In retrospect, if you want to stick with the auto, someone else would have to chime in, I am sure there is a solution to this problem.

It would seem like you could swap over all your auto-trans bits to the new engine, but you would need to study it closely. Beware of dowel pins and other things that should be carefully checked before assuming they are the same across the two engines.

No manuals were offered in the states in the 62, so it must be an overseas engine. Might be a good idea to source a third pedal and a manual tranny and go that route. In retrospect, if you want to stick with the auto, someone else would have to chime in, I am sure there is a solution to this problem.
Mongoose, How can I find out what all the differences are in these two engines? The numbers aren't that far apart. New engine is 3f0312385 and old is 3f0234896. Both 3FE. Thanks!

Mongoose, How can I find out what all the differences are in these two engines? The numbers aren't that far apart. New engine is 3f0312385 and old is 3f0234896. Both 3FE. Thanks!
Post some photos so we will have a better idea of what you have and what you are trying to do.

Bought a used 3fe engine for 1989 fj62. After switching everything over from the blown engine to the new one, we discovered that the new engine had come from a cruiser with a std transmission and not an automatic. My questions are as follows...1. Does anyone offer a bushing that will support the torque converter in the rear of the crank?
And the rear plate of the engine block on the new engine has a different location for the starter and will not bolt up to the trans properly. 2. Is their an adapter plate made for this issue or can I swap the rear block plates?
I can't be the first guy who's been in this situation...Thanks in advance!

You should be able to swap parts from the old engine to the new. I've only dismantled two FJ62s and I'm going by memory here.

I don't think that for the torque convertor that a pilot bushing is needed in the end of the crankshaft. A flat plate will be bolted to the block; the starter mounts to this plate on the passenger side. Bolted to the end of the crank is the flywheel, bolted to the flywheel is the torque convertor. The auto tranny bellhousing will fit over the torque convertor and bolt to the adapter plate that's bolted to the block. The input shaft of the auto tranny will be stabbed into the receptacle of the torque convertor.

2F Rebuild vs 3FE conversion for 82 fj60

See my Post #34 regarding flywheel bolt changes mid-FJ62 production - change was effective with engine serial number 3F-250226. So it looks like your new 3FE has 11mm flywheel bolts while your old 3FE has 10mm flywheel bolts.

You should be able to swap parts from the old engine to the new. I've only dismantled two FJ62s and I'm going by memory here.

I don't think that for the torque convertor that a pilot bushing is needed in the end of the crankshaft. A flat plate will be bolted to the block; the starter mounts to this plate on the passenger side. Bolted to the end of the crank is the flywheel, bolted to the flywheel is the torque convertor. The auto tranny bellhousing will fit over the torque convertor and bolt to the adapter plate that's bolted to the block. The input shaft of the auto tranny will be stabbed into the receptacle of the torque convertor.
Thanks. I've found that the receptical of the crank shaft is much larger that the one one the old engine. I'm concerned that only having the torque converter bolts supporting the the converter will cause extra stress on the flywheel. Glad to hear the adapter plate can be switched over from old engine to new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom