SOS! help! 4l60 Advanced Adapters Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4l60 with advanced adapters adapter. This came out of no where and started leaking really bad. What’s my fix?

IMG_0742.png

Last edited:
@dbbowen is a smart man, run to the hardware store and pickup a 1/2 npt plug, see if it fits. Worst case you’re out $3

To be completely honest, I learned this from @orangefj45 ... @BurntToast im just a dude who forgets to take his OCD meds pretty regularly

but youre supposed to drill that hole out to 23/32 and tap it with a 1/2 npt tap and use a pipe plug slathered in 00295-01281 orange FIPG (AKA Threebond TB1281). At least i think it was 1/2 npt. Its been a while since ive done one. I had to do the same thing in a NV4500 adapter too. I ran out to shoot a pic of my adapter. You can see my plug in that hole there. Its better to drill/tap from the inside so the metal shavings dont get into your fluid.

You could figure out what the threads are on that hole already and get a really short bolt and just plug it from the outside. Just use 00295-01281 orange FIPG (AKA Threebond TB1281) and it "should" be ok until you do your next t case rebuild.

What id be more concerned of is how much ATF is leaking out. You probably need a new 4l60e square type O ring seal that goes on the back of the trans where it mates up to the hex part of the adapter. And you could do well with applying a very liberal amount of 00295-01281 orange FIPG (AKA Threebond TB1281) to the splines of the spud shaft. You shouldnt be getting any ATF in your Tcase and your fluid shouldnt be red at all if you do the drill/tap and plug, o ring, and RTV the next time your Tcase is apart.

qu7NHWzh.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom