Help With Wind Noise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 1995 cruiser from my father-in-law and I love it. I had a 1987 4runner and loved it to, but it was destroyed by a drunk driver while it was parked in front of my house. Anyway that's a different story. My Question has do do with wind noise around the front passenger area. I can't figure out if it is coming from the A/C vent or the weatherstriping around the front passenger door. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with this model or does it sound like an isolated problem? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
My DS front door has a little wind noise coming through the weather stripping. Looks like it's lost it's memory and now stays in the compressed postition.

Mine has the same thing. I think it's just a matter of time and age, and in my case I'm sure some new seals would fix it right up.

My DS door does the same. If the wind is blowing hard enuf it almost drowns out the mystery drive train whine at hyw speeds.

Before you start replacing things, make sure that it isn't the sunroof...

Sucks to throw money at a problem only to miss it all together.

TX_TLC said:
Before you start replacing things, make sure that it isn't the sunroof..

In my case is the sunroof ..

Dont laugh!!!!!

Go buy some Vaseline and latex gloves.

Open your doors (all of them)

Put on a pair of gloves and reach in and get a nice wad of Vaseline and rub it into every seal in every door and door opening. It should turn black, If it does this is the old dried up rubber coming off and it should start wicking up the Vaseline.

Get a old towl and wipe down all rubber again and re-apply it again and again till it is clear and no longer black.

You think I am crazy but it will work! Just dont get caught with your hand in the jar.

Shane

AATLAS1X said:
Vaseline and rub it into every seal in every door and door opening. It should turn black, If it does this is the old dried up rubber coming off and it should start wicking up the Vaseline.Shane

I've heard one liberal dose of silicone lube will do the same.

450 Cruiser said:
I've heard one liberal dose of silicone lube will do the same.

I have always use Vaseline and it works well.

I use it on all my vehicle old and new. Petro based and cheap!

Petroleum-based Vaseline destroys rubber, use silicon lube (how many children do you have?)

santiagol said:
Petroleum-based Vaseline destroys rubber, use silicon lube (how many children do you have?)

Yellow Lab, Red healer and black cat...............

Do you use one ply or cottonelle? (has nothing to do with this does it);)

I will try anything....................But on a serious note I have never had or heard of a door seal falling off do to erosion from Vaseline.

Fact: I rub down all little plugs, grommets, cushions, seal and other small pieces from an FJ40 and they sit for months at a time till I need them and NONE turn to gel........So, I am a believer that it does not in this lifetime. Maybe over a century.............

take a large rubber mallet and use it to take off the mirrors on both the passenger and drivers side, take for a test drive there will be less wind noise, you may laugh but not only did this actually happen, dads mechanic friend to an extremely rude coustomer who kept complaining about the wind noise in his new mercedes, but it works, you just can't see behind you as well. :D

There is a TSB for this (BO003-97 and BO007-96) I have both but have done neither. 97 really just lists the parts, apparently you have to buy a supplemental manual to get the procedure. It refers to the molding around the door.

96 has more detail and refers the belt molding where the window goes into the door.

I am happy to email them to someone if they want to post them or just look at them.

Petroleum based products do degrade some types of rubber. That's why you can't use Vaseline on your cock when your wearing a condom. There are products out there specifically designed for this purpose. IMO worth the extra expense compared to the price of new seals. I was actually thinking about this very subject on my way home from work this evening.

tech_dog said:
Zymol seal does a fantastic job of making seals new.

I use Zymol for my leather and very happy with there products. Thanks for the Tip!

Erratic said:
That's why you can't use Vaseline on your cock when your wearing a condom.

That doesn't belong in...oh...wait, I guess it is 'technical advice' ;)

Condoms are made of latex rubber. I doubt the weather-seal compound on our 80's have a latex component - or very little, if any.

thanks...

I'VE FINALLY FOUND A PLACE WHERE I CAN GET SOME SMART-ASS ANSWERS ALONG WITH SOME SOUND ADVICE. I'LL TRY SOME OF THE OPTIONS LISTED TO SEE IF IT HELPS. OH YEAH, I GUESS I NOW KNOW WHY RUBBERS KEEP DISOLVING AND FALLING OF MY COCK, AT LEAST I HOPE THE VASELINE IS THE REASON.....:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom