Help with Squealing Belt Tensioner LJ78 2LTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A week or so ago I started getting a squeal until my truck is warmed up. It took a few days to figure it out but it is coming from the free wheeling tensioner that rides on the back side of the belt. I don't see an adjustment. Help?
20171004_095902.jpg

Buck,
Looks like you have to get in there and get some leverage to tighten the alternator.
Definitely a two person job. One person maintaining tension on an alternator that has been loosened with a 2' screw driver or similar tool to give you the leverage you need to get that belt tight, and another person to tighten the long alternator bolt back up. My alternator belt came lose after I re-installed it, and I had to use higher torque values to keep that bolt tight enough to maintain the tension on that belt. Yes, it is in a very tight spot.

IMG_3419.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Brother. The belt is just barely skimming on that idler or tensioner that rides on the back side of the belt, causing the squealing. Just isn't enough friction to keep the wheel turning. Or I guess it's possible that although the wheel turns freely by hand it may be wearing and doesn't turn well enough at speed.

You are welcome. That belt is a PITA to do. Don't get frustrated. On the plus side you have A/C in FL!

A 4" crowbar was the only way I could tighten mine up by myself....although my 2LT was bar bones with no AC. I did replace the alternator bracket bolts with new hardware and it helped with tightening without binding. You can also try levering off the bottom pivot from underneath.
As always, if the belt is making noise (stretched) and the tensioner hasn't been messed with you might as well toss a fresh belt on.

Thanks Brother. The belt is just barely skimming on that idler or tensioner that rides on the back side of the belt, causing the squealing. Just isn't enough friction to keep the wheel turning. Or I guess it's possible that although the wheel turns freely by hand it may be wearing and doesn't turn well enough at speed.

That's how that idler works. Mine barely skims the belt too. It's more to keep the belt from bouncing around than anything. Turn it by hand to see if the bearing is wearing out. If so, just replace the whole idler pulley. If it's not the problem, then you need to keep looking.

Squealing usually is from loose belts though, not bearings. So check the tension on all three belt systems and see which one is loose.

I can tell you that tightening belts on this motor is a bit of a PITA, especially the Alternator/Waterpump belts. I highly recommend removing the air cleaner assembly to gain access to the tension bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom