Help with FJ80 engine VIN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I could use some help finding the engine number on my FJ80. I am planning on selling it, so I'd like to make sure that it has the 3F-E engine in it before I post it anywhere. I really don't know much about these (or cars in general); I bought it several years ago from a former tenant in the building I live in. I didn't drive it much because I didn't know anything about it and once I found out how crazy people are for these, I didn't want to wreck it (even though a friend of mine says that I can't possibly wreck the engine). I like it, but not as much as someone else might. I had a little bit of work done to it a couple years ago, but mostly it has just sat. It's not doing it any good sitting in the parking lot, so I figure it is time to let it go. It has the VIN on the door and on the dash, and I found the number on the right frame rail. So, now I need to find the engine number. ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated! I looked for videos and general information on this topic and the Chilton repair manual's diagrams seem more definitive than anything else. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

20211013_155450 (2).jpg

20211013_155436.jpg

20211025_153315.jpg

20211107_140457.jpg

20211110_144303.jpg

Simply enter your vin into kbb.com or google and see if it says 4.0 or 4.5 liter.. 4.0 is the 3FE. If you have any reason to think the engine was changed at some point, plenty of visuals to give it away.

If it’s in decent shape, this is a decent time to sell...

Last edited:
Are you trying verify the original motor to rig, or just identify the motor being either a 3FE or a 1FZ?

The 2 are very distinctly different, and by your avatar I’m already thinking 3FE or the early 1FZ.

You can decide on early or late 1FZ by having a OBD2 port over top the in-cab fuseblock / L side of driver kickpanel will be labeled & a ~4”x6” cover.

What year does the sticker on the DR door say production was?

Simply google your vin and see if it says 4.0 or 4.5 liter.. 4.0 is the 3FE.
I think I already did that-I'm just trying to make sure someone didn't pull the motor at some point in the past. The door has 91 listed as the year and that is what the VIN indicates which, according to the Chilton manual, should make it a 3F-E. I want to make sure the motor is also a 91 Land Cruiser motor before I sell it as that. Thank you for the help!

Post a pic - you’ll have an answer in <5mins.

-Or-

Look at the valve cover - is it stamped steel & dimpled ~10 spots or is it cast aluminum?

Is the power steering reservoir on the DS & prob golden zinc, or is it PS / right behind radiator & prob painted black?

————————

Dimpled stamped steel valve cover & PS power steer can = 3FE

Cast AL valve cover w/ ‘Toyota’ in casting & DS power steer can = 1FZ

Are you trying verify the original motor to rig, or just identify the motor being either a 3FE or a 1FZ?

The 2 are very distinctly different, and by your avatar I’m already thinking 3FE or the early 1FZ.

You can decide on early or late 1FZ by having a OBD2 port over top the in-cab fuseblock / L side of driver kickpanel will be labeled & a ~4”x6” cover.

What year does the sticker on the DR door say production was?
Yes! I suppose that is what I want to verify. Either that it's original or at least to be able to say what it is for sure. Everything indicates that it's a 91 which should have a 3FE. The door says it's a 91, the serial number indicates a 91, the firewall indicates that it's 4.0., and the frame number matches everything else. I looked through the previous owners repair records, etc., to see if anyone had written down the engine number and I couldn't find anything. I would think that the local Toyota dealership would have mentioned that the engine was not original, but maybe not? Plus, awhile back I went to Walmart to get an oil filter and the physical book did not have anything listed for the 91. I grabbed a filter from a nearby year and it ended up not working. Then I found another unused filter in a bucket in the back of the Land Cruiser, so I'm assuming that someone who had it before me did the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's a 3F-E; the engine looks like it matches the diagram in the Chilton manual. I would just like to make sure!

Post a pic - you’ll have an answer in <5mins.

-Or-

Look at the valve cover - is it stamped steel & dimpled ~10 spots or is it cast aluminum?

Is the power steering reservoir on the DS & prob golden zinc, or is it PS / right behind radiator & prob painted black?

————————

Dimpled stamped steel valve cover & PS power steer can = 3FE

Cast AL valve cover w/ ‘Toyota’ in casting & DS power steer can = 1FZ

20211025_153315.jpg

So, I'm assuming you would agree that it's a 3F-E? But how would I know if it's a 91? The engine, not the rest of it!
Well, it’s a 3FE. At least as much as I see / you must be short ;)

To verify the head since I can’t see the valve cover - a 1FZ has the spark plugs in the head from the top using oversize o-ring gaskets / they drop right through the middle of the twin cam head.

Spark plugs of a single cam 3FE are installed at an angle on the PS of the head, and you have a cap & rotor middle in the same upward angle of the row of spark plugs.

You have a oil filter just forward but lower of the cap rotor on PS.

That tells you all the way down into the block it’s 3FE.

If it was a 1FZ, all above components (except the spark plugs in a row under a cosmetic plastic cap) - all the rest are DS on the 1FZ, the cap/rotor, oil filter, that power steer can.

It’s a 3FE.

With the original heater valve ;)

Well, it’s a 3FE. At least as much as I see / you must be short ;)

To verify the head since I can’t see the valve cover - a 1FZ has the spark plugs in the head from the top using oversize o-ring gaskets / they drop right through the middle of the twin cam head.

Spark plugs of a single cam 3FE are installed at an angle on the PS of the head, and you have a cap & rotor middle in the same upward angle of the row of spark plugs.

You have a oil filter just forward but lower of the cap rotor on PS.

That tells you all the way down into the block it’s 3FE.

If it was a 1FZ, all above components (except the spark plugs in a row under a cosmetic plastic cap) - all the rest are DS on the 1FZ, the cap/rotor, oil filter, that power steer can.

It’s a 3FE.

With the original heater valve ;)
First off, thanks for the information. The plugs are on the PS and I was also trying to figure out if it was an 89-90 or a 91-92 body because it has a has a spot for a cooling fan. I've seen other's listed as 91's that have an opening for a cooling fan, but again, I don't want to tell anyone the wrong thing. It's probably more likely that Toyota decided to alter the engine a bit and still had bodies from 90 with the opening for the cooling fan. Or, all 91's have the opening and the Chilton manual is incorrect? (It shouldn't be this hard to be honest.) The placement of the oil filter makes it a 91, as far as I can tell. So, it looks like a 3F-E 4.0 engine from 91 with a body from 1990 and a frame number that matches the VIN on the door and dash. Does that sound right to you? I have a friend who knows way more about cars than I do so my big "plan" was to learn about cars (or this car) this week and then have him go over everything with me so THEN I can sell it. I'd still like to find the engine number, but it's getting colder and I AM SHORT, so I generally stand on a 5-gallon bucket to look in the engine! The bucket came with the car so I figured I should put it to good use. I probably should have stood on the bucket to take photos too!

20211107_140310 (2).jpg

20211107_140457.jpg

First off, thanks for the information. The plugs are on the PS and I was also trying to figure out if it was an 89-90 or a 91-92 body because it has a has a spot for a cooling fan. I've seen other's listed as 91's that have an opening for a cooling fan, but again, I don't want to tell anyone the wrong thing. It's probably more likely that Toyota decided to alter the engine a bit and still had bodies from 90 with the opening for the cooling fan. Or, all 91's have the opening and the Chilton manual is incorrect? (It shouldn't be this hard to be honest.) The placement of the oil filter makes it a 91, as far as I can tell. So, it looks like a 3F-E 4.0 engine from 91 with a body from 1990 and a frame number that matches the VIN on the door and dash. Does that sound right to you? I have a friend who knows way more about cars than I do so my big "plan" was to learn about cars (or this car) this week and then have him go over everything with me so THEN I can sell it. I'd still like to find the engine number, but it's getting colder and I AM SHORT, so I generally stand on a 5-gallon bucket to look in the engine! The bucket came with the car so I figured I should put it to good use. I probably should have stood on the bucket to take photos too!
Please stop speculating and throw the Chilton's manual in the recycling pile.
That is a 1991/1992 3FE sitting in a 1991/1992 FJ80 body.
If you look at the alternator and can see the external fan it is a 1991, unless it has been previously replaced. However, given the physical state of this engine, it all looks original and neglected to me.

The cut out on the inner fender is not for a cooling fan. All 80 Series have this on both sides from 1991-1997.
Your intake cooling fan is behind the left headlight assembly and blows air through a large plastic plenum on the left side of the intake.

Last edited:
Post up the engine serial number.

3F- XXXXXX

Also, if you can find it post up any engine casting numbers. Those will definitely indicate a date.
I am trying to find the engine number. I am trying to figure out which engine and which years so then I can limit how much of the engine to clean off to find the number. The VIN comes up as a 91, the paperwork that came with it shows 91, the door shows 91. But, the oil filter placement makes it look like a 1989-90. Either way, the number SHOULD be on the PS of the motor. I was just trying to get a little more confirmation from folks who know more than I do because I'm basing what I'm doing on the Chilton manual. I'm going to post some pictures in a bit here. Thank you for your help!

Definitely a 3FE.
The engine compartment wire harness laying on the top of the radiator support is supposed to be under the support FYI.
Thanks! I checked the harness and it is too short to be moved back. Not saying that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but in this particular case, if that is incorrect I had nothing to do with it. I'm not sure why it's like that, to be honest. I'm going to post more pictures in a bit, but I think I've determined that the
exhaust manifold under your driver floor board for the 3FE.
Thank you!

Please stop speculating and throw the Chilton's manual in the recycling pile.
That is a 1991/1992 3FE sitting in a 1991/1992 FJ80 body.
If you look at the alternator and can see the external fan it is a 1991, unless it has been previously replaced. However, given the physical state of this engine, it all looks original and neglected to me.

The cut out on the inner fender is not for a cooling fan. All 80 Series have this on both sides from 1991-1997.
Your intake cooling fan is behind the left headlight assembly and blows air through a large plastic plenum on the left side of the intake.
Thank you for the information. I've heard that before about the manuals; what can I say, I really like books! The engine looks neglected because I never drive it. A woman in my building got it (for free) from some friends, she needed money and asked me if I wanted to buy it, so I said "yes". It reminds me of an old truck my family had, which is probably why I kept it for as long as I have. But, I hardly ever drive it and keeping it for sentimental reasons is a bit nonsensical, plus someone else might want it which is why I'm trying to be responsible (in my own, nitpicky, slow way) and find out what it is before I sell it. Again, thank you for your help! I posted a picture of the old truck. Isn't that sweet? Not sweet enough to let the Land Cruiser waste away in the parking lot.

20211110_123854 (3).jpg

Looking at the second photo from the top it's a 3FE.

Next time take the photo yourself instead of asking your kid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom