Help with engine code. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this a 17 code? I have this list of codes and I wonder if its 17 or 71? I'm confused. Isn't the first blink a "10" and the rest units? TIA

Screenshot_20240202_121256_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_121330_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_121338_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to upload a video but somehow it didn't let me. Anyway, it blinks once then stops and after that 7 times.

When reading the code there will be a blink and a short delay if the numbers are not consecutive. By the limited knowledge of your situation, I would suggest you pull the code two times and watch for the delay.

Knowing the symptoms you are experiencing would also be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Lastly, suggest adding your vehicle info to your signature line so people will know the year and model you are referencing.

When reading the code there will be a blink and a short delay if the numbers are not consecutive. By the limited knowledge of your situation, I would suggest you pull the code two times and watch for the delay.

Knowing the symptoms you are experiencing would also be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Lastly, suggest adding your vehicle info to your signature line so people will know the year and model you are referencing.
Thanks for the reply. There is a blink and then a second delay, after that 7 consecutive blinks non stop. I did it several times and same result. I will try to upload the video
There is no symptoms, just the light turned on and I want to know why. Finally its a 1992 Land cruiser 3FE engine. It runs good without issues.

Pulling the 15amp EFI fuse should always be the first thing that you do. Let the ECU clear stored codes and relearn the sensors.
If the code returns, then you can address the issue.
1st generation EFI based on 1986 technology.
I did a quick search and didn't find any corroborating info for a code 17. A code 71 is fairly common. I did find the above info on a post from a very knowledgeable member and I would try it to see if the code is a hard code or transitory.

It looks as though you already know the procedures but here is my synopsis of what the FSM (download from resources section) says for pulling codes.

When the check engine light shows up in your 1990-95 Toyota vehicle, the quickest way to get the code is to access the diagnostic connector in the engine compartment (sits on the passenger firewall). Connect a jumper wire between terminals TE1 and E1 terminals and by turning the key on, it will start flashing the codes in your dash.

If there are no codes, the check engine light will flash 2 times per second CONSTANTLY with no patterns or pauses. If there are any codes, it will be shown in 2 digits codes. Example: code 24 is shown as 2 flashes, a 1.5 sec pause followed by 4 flashes. If there are mode codes, the next one will transmitted after 2.5 seconds. When finished reading the codes, turn the key off and remove the jumper wire.

I did a quick search and didn't find any corroborating info for a code 17. A code 71 is fairly common. I did find the above info on a post from a very knowledgeable member and I would try it to see if the code is a hard code or transitory.

It looks as though you already know the procedures but here is my synopsis of what the FSM (download from resources section) says for pulling codes.

When the check engine light shows up in your 1990-95 Toyota vehicle, the quickest way to get the code is to access the diagnostic connector in the engine compartment (sits on the passenger firewall). Connect a jumper wire between terminals TE1 and E1 terminals and by turning the key on, it will start flashing the codes in your dash.

If there are no codes, the check engine light will flash 2 times per second CONSTANTLY with no patterns or pauses. If there are any codes, it will be shown in 2 digits codes. Example: code 24 is shown as 2 flashes, a 1.5 sec pause followed by 4 flashes. If there are mode codes, the next one will transmitted after 2.5 seconds. When finished reading the codes, turn the key off and remove the jumper wire.
I will try the EFI fuse and then go from there. I probably repeated the same method 4 times and its all the same result.

Are you using a FSM and it's helpful to know what year rig your working on !!

The 3FE ecu has no code 17.
I posted the codes and yeah no 17 which led me to think it was a 71 but just for a reference to others it only makes sense to be a 71 although the cruiser runs good even if the light on.

Now to the fix. I guess I can start by checking all hoses for leaks but any of you guys have had to fix the code 7, it'd be great to know what you did to fix it. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom