Help with 3-link on '99 4-Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lookin good!

Lookin' good man!:clap: I met you last year at CruiseMoab, came out with the white 80 from the east coast with Tim (recent 4th Gen SAS).

I just read through your build, ...very impressive, looks well thought out. Keep it up, I may bug you for some pointers, I may be getting close to selling the 80 to get parts for my 4R SAS soon too.

cheers!

Nice to hear from you. I've been keeping up with Tim's build. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to ask. Had a blast wheeling with you guys last year. I'll be in Moab for Cruise Moab again this year if your coming out (I know it's a long haul for you). If you start your build you should start a thread on here.:popcorn:

I should be able to finish the brakes this weekend. I received the rest of the line and fittings yesterday.
axle 019.jpg
I also got the soft top and roof rack back on.
axle 017.jpg
axle 017.jpg
axle 019.jpg

Well the brakes are done and bleed. Thanks again for the Aeroquip suggestion Qtipp, it did make it painless. As far as mounting the Ts' I found just using the hose clips close to the T made for a pretty solid hold. Here's the lines on the rear axle. Having the truss made mounting easy.
DSC00904.jpg
On the front I still have to weld a couple of studs on for a few more attatchment points but why do today what I can do tomorrow.
DSC00908.jpg
I ran the line for the rear through the firewall and mounted the proportioning valve and line lock together on the center console. I originaly wanted the proportioning valve in the engine bay but couldn't find a convenient place to mount it. Things are getting pretty tight up front.
DSC00906.jpg
DSC00904.jpg
DSC00908.jpg
DSC00906.jpg

Well the moment I'd been waiting for came today when brown finally delivered the coilovers.
DSC00919.jpg
Here's a few pictures of them installed on the front of the truck.
DSC00912.jpg
DSC00911.jpg
DSC00919.jpg
DSC00912.jpg
DSC00911.jpg

After almost 9 months I was finally able to roll the truck out into the middle of the shop. I will have to get heavier springs for the front and modify the rear axle end coilover mounts a bit but it was nice to finally see it out of the corner.
DSC00915.jpg
I love this bumper sticker. Picked it up from a super cool guy at Cruise Moab.
DSC00918.jpg
Almost 48" under the tire.
DSC00913.jpg
DSC00915.jpg
DSC00918.jpg
DSC00913.jpg

Last edited:
i cant wait to finish my build and post pics of an 80 doin that

Can't wait to see some pics of it on the trail ! Where is your " virgin" run going to be?

U can Call it the "de- virgination" run??

Very nice! Congrats! We may not make Cruise Moab this year (Dave has to start and finish his SAS). We'll have to meet up somewhere in the near future though...or Moab next year.

Tim

I'm running only a line lock for now. The rear disc conversion eliminated my factory cable e-brake. Going to miss you Georgia guys at Moab.

I'm hoping to have the truck ready for its first run by early March. I will probably just run it up in the woods at first and then would like to run the Wild Bill trail in the Flathead this spring (weather permitting). Most likely with the snow Cruise Moab will be the first real outing.... I just want to be used to the truck by then. I'm planning to run Pritchett on Saturday and would like to be settled in for it.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the build. It's been a lot of work and it's always fun to see it start coming together. I hope to have the new springs in a week or so and will post some more pictures then. Both front and rear spring rates proved to be too soft. Looks like I'll be trying 150/250 front and rear. Currently it's 100/150 front and 100/250 rear. The front is way too soft and the rear would be perfect had it not been for an empty fuel cell and no recovery gear.

Great build, I've been enjoying this thread a lot. A few Q's:

What size/length springs are you running (2, 16"s?)?

How much up travel vs droop are you running on your setup front and rear?

PKP80, the springs are 2.5 ID springs (for 2.0 coilovers) 16" long. I am running about 5" up/ 10" down in the front and about 7" up/ 8" down in the rear. These are straight up and down numbers for the whole axle, of course articulation #'s are more. At ride height I have 6" of shock shaft showing up front and 8" of shaft showing in the rear.

Last edited:
Thanks 60! I've been meaning to address the issue of the low hanging radiator for some time now. I've been using a forklift to pick up the front of the truck for almost nine months with no problem, but sure enough, on the day I plan to get the steel to build a radiator skid I poked the radiator with the fork.:doh: Luckily it was a easy fix at the local radiator shop. Here's after re-installing it; it's easy to see why it needs the skid
DSC00920.jpg .
This is the skid plate I built to mount into the factory tow hook locations. The drop brackets are from 3 x 3 x .250 square tube cut in half and the rest is .250 plate.
DSC00921.jpg
Skid plate vunerability issue solved.
DSC00922.JPG
DSC00920.jpg
DSC00921.jpg
DSC00922.JPG

I'm actually using the stock drive shafts front and rear. I was really surprised to find the front shaft would work. I will be replacing it sometime down the road but I'm going to run it for now. I don't think it would work with a low pinion third or like it much if I run it in 4x4 at higher speeds. I had to have the rear shaft re-tubed two inches longer.

Looks great, can't wait to see some trail pics. I have a question, unless I missed it, what is the amount of separation between the upper and lower links on the front.

I was guessing from looking at the pics that its about 4-5 inches at the frame and 6-7 inches at the axle. My link set-up is very similar to yours and I will only be running 35's and no extreme wheeling, at least for now. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom