help with 15b fuel cutoff wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phat42.com
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can assist with the wiring up of my fuel cutoff solinoid on my 15b-f.

I only have one plug on my injector pump as seen here
20150629_212257.jpg

hires ver: http://www.phat42.com/gallery2/d/415579-2/20150629_212257.jpg

It's a 3 pin female plug and my engine didnt come with a male equivelant.

So my understanding of the 3 wires in the plug are, 1) ground 2) fuel cut of 12v 3) tacho signal wire.

I have found 12v on ignition from my edic plug and tapped into that, and have run a new ground.

I have pumped the primer pump until I've felt resistance and cracked an injector line to bleed any air (should the pump come on)..

And so far nothing.. I killed the battery tonight fiddling with combo's. Not sure if you need ground or not.

I did notice that when I plugged the 12v ign into one pin (the bottom single pin) the edic relay clicked. I didnt notice any other behaviour from the other pins..

Anyway the battery is on charge while I do some more research on the setup.

Thanks,

Andrew

To answer my own question...

1) don't use 12v ign from the edic plug..

@håvard Made me aware that the edic circuit cuts 12v when you go from Ignition to On.

2) the bottom pin from the 3pin plug (the green wire coming from the fuel cut off solinoid.

You should hear it click when you give it 12v.

I think 15b-F's self bleed air from the fuel system too thanks to the return line..

Hi mate, just wondering if your fuel cut solenoid is a 24V or 12V solenoid. If it is 24V just about any injection pump shop should be able to get you a 12V one, from memory mine was about $60.

If it is a 12V solenoid use a multimeter to make sure you actually have 12V at the top of the solenoid, if you do get someone to crank it over while you pump the primer pump and fingers crossed it will go.

Good luck.

It's going ... I've done seen it going ......

(I'm trying to sound like a hillbilly if you haven't guessed. And I've just consumed a few whiskies which hopefully will excuse me.)

:beer:

Last edited:
I'm too late, looks like I'll be putting my undies back on the inside.

Hi mate, just wondering if your fuel cut solenoid is a 24V or 12V solenoid. If it is 24V just about any injection pump shop should be able to get you a 12V one, from memory mine was about $60.

If it is a 12V solenoid use a multimeter to make sure you actually have 12V at the top of the solenoid, if you do get someone to crank it over while you pump the primer pump and fingers crossed it will go.

Good luck.

The solenoid works from 6 to 28 v to allow for spikes in voltage. No need to swap out

The solenoid works from 6 to 28 v to allow for spikes in voltage. No need to swap out

And when I search on Toyota part numbers I find the 15BF came with :
22390-6A510 (subs 22390-6A511) for 12V and
22390-56290 (subs 22390-56291) for 24V.

Well .... the Toyota information doesn't actually say which is 12V and which is 24V but Internet searching leads me to conclude the above.

And it looks like the voltage spec is often stamped on them too (as you can see from these search results):
12V.jpg

24V.jpg

So where did your info come from Wijnand/Hotpoker?

Edit: I think I know where the information came from. (The idea that one fuel-cut solenoid suited both 12V and 24V vehicles did sound very familiar to me. LOL.) Probably this thread or a similar one:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/14b-electrical-help.632266/#post-7977554

When I posted in that thread (at post #5) I'd already been hearing (from people such as @crushers who are experienced in engine conversions) that you didn't need to change out fuel cut solenoids when installing engines from 24V vehicles into 12V vehicles. So in my post in this linked thread I was trying to produce evidence to back this up...

And now .... I'm back to having doubts as you can see. (My electrical background keeps telling me that there's too much difference between 12V and 24V.)

So obviously in my posting history I'm leaping from one side to the other (and because of that I must shoulder responsibility for any confusion). In my defence ... I'm just trying to find the real truth...

Last edited:
The info came from Havard - he did some research on it.

Based upon my tests using 12v on the 24v solenoid it worked fine!

The info came from Havard - he did some research on it.

Based upon my tests using 12v on the 24v solenoid it worked fine!

That's interesting Wijnand.

(I've been throwing lots of edits into my last post above about this.)

So it looks like what all this is leading towards is: "You can get away with using 24V solenoids on 12V but manufacturers (Toyota/Denso) do make dedicated 12V solenoids that aren't too expensive so it probably is wiser to use them".

I'm with you on this one lostmarbles, 12V solenoids are 12V solenoids and 24V solenoids are 24V solenoids, Solenoids aren't a multi-voltage component.

24V through a 12V solenoid will burn it out and I wouldn't bet my house on 12V pulling in a 24V solenoid when you need it to, especially considering that at starting a 12V circuit can drop down into single digit voltages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom