14b electrical help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Am looking for some help in identifying and therefore confirming the wiring for the following component.

I'm not sure if it is the fuel heater i am dealing with here.

Thanks

Two photos attached
image-2283151832.jpg
image-1165165565.jpg

Connector for the Fuel Cut Solenoid?

:beer:

Last edited:
confirmed - thanks Tom
fuel solenoid.jpg

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Crushers/Wayne says that solenoids off 24V vehicles work fine on 12V.

I'll tell you what, I'll search where he said it................

Here ya go.......... Post number 63 here...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...-swap-some-little-village-sierra-leone-4.html

This goes against what I'd expect...

But the 1995 14B FSM (RM464E) tends to support what Wayne says because it says this (during workshop testing/adjustment of the IP) and I quote word-for-word:

"Apply about 6 or 12 volts of DC power to the fuel cut solenoid."

It then goes on to say:

Notice:
  • When applying voltage to the solenoid, position the battery as far away from the solenoid as possible so that a spark does not occur.
  • When connecting the battery cable, connect the solenoid side first. HINT: For a 12V or 24V battery, connect the battery through a 12W bulb.
(I'd show you with a pic from the FSM except I can't be bothered getting out my scanner.)

:cheers:

PS. I admit to being confused about the fear of a spark in the FSM. (Diesel is not that flammable/explosive so who cares?)

And I'm confused why it doesn't matter whether you're testing with a 12V or 24V battery (presumably on the SAME solenoid) yet they want a 12W bulb in the circuit. (If the solenoid was sensitive to excessive current then surely doubling the voltage would be fatal?????????) :meh:

Edit 19 July 2015 .....Further discussion on this topic here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-with-15b-fuel-cutoff-wiring.869605/#post-9848572

Last edited:
The fear of spark thing is just the standard arse covering by the manufacturer, although not creating an ignition source near any flammable liquid is a good habit to get into.

I don't know enough myself to start lecturing about the voltage/current relationship in regards to solenoids but the wattage(power) sent through a solenoid determines how much force the solenoid will push/pull with, To generate the same force at 6V as you do at 24V you would have to increase the amps, increasing amps also increases the internal resistance which not only generates heat but also has the effect of lowering voltage. So best I can figure is that the solenoid is over engineered and can produces far more force than it needs to get the job done at 24V (basically at 24V it's not working very hard at all). I'm assuming the 12W bulb is to limit current draw to prevent you from cooking your solenoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom