Help needed near El Paso (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Just bought a 100 in San Antonio and the tire blew on the I-10 less than an hour east of El Paso. I have the spare but no tools. Is there a way to get the spare off from underneath without the Toyota tools?

I’ve been waiting for AAA for almost 3 hours now, if that tool is the only way to get the tire off is there anyone in El Paso that would let me borrow it to change the tire?

Thanks

But is that 22mm socket to get the spare out from underneath?
No , the 22 mm is for the lug nuts. You are missing several rods that attach together. The rod is then inserted into a “cup “ and then you turn , which lowers the tire . The “cup “ is located between the tailgate and rear bumper

No , the 22 mm is for the lug nuts. You are missing several rods that attach together. The rod is then inserted into a “cup “ and then you turn , which lowers the tire . The “cup “ is located between the tailgate and rear bumper
Is there anyway to turn the cup without the tool? It looks like 8mm star hex socket?

Someone will chime in that knows more about 100s than I do. If I recall there are a few 100s that have a special lock on the spare. I believe it’s from the factory.

Worst case scenario … you could drop the cross member - a few bolts - which would then drop the spare

can anyone back me up on that ??

Alright thanks for all the info. I’ll try to find a similar year Toyota and get it down tomorrow once the tow truck drops me off tonight in El Paso. (Tow truck still needs to be sent out, AAA really let me down today)

I grew up in your neck of the woods. Mom went to Banks, dad to Tarrant. Huffman, then Trussville here :)
Cool man!!I know the area well. I worked the East precinct for about 12 years. I’m out in Colorado now. They just tore Banks down a few months ago.

I don’t think Discount Tire has ever used my tools to lower/raise the spare.

If AAA is going to show up with a tow truck, and you have at least one bad tire, the simple/easy (but not cheapest) solution would seem to be “have AAA tow it to a tire shop”?

Yeah well for those of you still interested AAA still hasn’t found a tow truck. But I also learned that they’ll reimburse you for a tow truck up to your miles. So after calling 3 tow companies I found a guy and he’s on his way.

I’ll have him leave the land cruiser at the hotel motel and I’ll figure it out tomorrow.

Lessons learned for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom