Help me understand the appeal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You want my marsadeez?🙆…… endless money pit…..current wife hates it as much as she does my baby dog….. guess which two I am keeping for sure! LOL!

Two keeps a smile on my face while the other does not!

Is it a G63? Lol

Honestly I’m at 75k now and once i cross 90, and do the work, i will take a breath and chill for the next 7-8 years hopefully. (rad, starter, water pump, idler, tensioner, heater ts, probably a new battery, and maybe something else im forgetting)

Still have to fix my blurry mirror though and sunroof seal leak. As well as one day i will rip the cabin apart and address all the vibrations.

Trying to resist the supercharger bug along the way. I still have a couple grand in sliders to buy, and $4-5k in rack and tent. Not sure what the all in would be on the subtank but call it a grand.
Different kind of money pit…

This is interesting thread, one question I want to ask for opinion for is safety. Does the Land Cruiser 200 and prado platform (GX 460) offer better safety.

Let's say Toyota Land Cruiser 200 and LX 570, and GX 460, very heavy vehicles with high clearances. Weight/Mass does matter, and seat position is higher than a lot of other cars even some other SUVs, but do they stand better chance in various situations including t-bone?

OP, I appreciate the opportunity to share my opinion.

A Landcruiser is a hobby.

I bought my 80 knowing it was wrencher friendly and wanting (and needing) to be able to learn to do my own work. When my 80 needed shocks or CV joint replacement I was outside with a beer and an air compressor and a YouTube video annoying the neighbors. I had a good mechanic and phoenix has a great community of cruiserheads.

I bought my lx570 a year ago for comfort, safety for my fam and part availability. There have been headaches and I've been taking it to the shop and it has been frustrating. Then I heard an angel whisper to me...

A LandCruiser is a hobby, buy an FSM and go to your local meeting.

OP, I appreciate the opportunity to share my opinion.

A Landcruiser is a hobby.

I bought my 80 knowing it was wrencher friendly and wanting (and needing) to be able to learn to do my own work. When my 80 needed shocks or CV joint replacement I was outside with a beer and an air compressor and a YouTube video annoying the neighbors. I had a good mechanic and phoenix has a great community of cruiserheads.

I bought my lx570 a year ago for comfort, safety for my fam and part availability. There have been headaches and I've been taking it to the shop and it has been frustrating. Then I heard an angel whisper to me...

A LandCruiser is a hobby, buy an FSM and go to your local meeting.

TLC needs that TLC!
Thanks for commenting.

I would be dead in the water without MUD, and definitely richer! 😝

This is interesting thread, one question I want to ask for opinion for is safety. Does the Land Cruiser 200 and prado platform (GX 460) offer better safety.

Let's say Toyota Land Cruiser 200 and LX 570, and GX 460, very heavy vehicles with high clearances. Weight/Mass does matter, and seat position is higher than a lot of other cars even some other SUVs, but do they stand better chance in various situations including t-bone?

This is the only safety issue ive ever heard of on these trucks:

In regards to mass and build, 200 is definitely a tank of a passenger vehicle and I feel extremely safe in it. Im surrounded by airbags in every direction as well.

Still I’ve never seen crash testing footage of the LX or LC. Not much can be done about a t-bone, you are definitely going to feel that, but front quarter impact im more curious about. Primary reason im not in an 80 honestly is safety.

.......... You can’t deny that rads, mirrors, starters, amps, roof/cowl/windshield leaks, broken cabin filter doors, door lock actuators, corroded connectors, AHC globes, KDSS valve freezes and valley leaks are common discussion points here. .......

Another list from iseecars:

These are the cars and trucks that are most likely to make it past 300,000 based on statistics.
  1. Toyota Tundra – .2%​

2. Toyota 4Runner – .2%​

3. GMC Yukon XL – .2%​

4. Chevy Suburban – .2%​

5. Ford Expedition – .2%​

6. Toyota Sequoia – .4%​

7. Toyota Land Cruiser – 1.5%​

Enough said.

As far as the forum goes, guys, reality check for one second with me, the LC sells one unit a year, and were all here on MUD.
The amount of failures and s*** i see here is abnormal for this reputation to hold true. If it were any other vehicle i would concede the point. But its not.
We are like 50% the sample size of the entire total sales number.
Face the music or not, I'm just expressing my observation. In addition, im worried the 300 will further complicate things.

......iSee Cars reports that 1.5% of Land Cruiser models surpassed not only 200,000-miles but 300,000-miles. Feb 14, 2021

• 1: Toyota Land Cruiser
    The Toyota Land Cruiser. With an impressive 18.2% surpassing 200,000 miles, Toyota's legendary off-road luxury machine is more likely to pass the mileage landmark than any other vehicle. Mar 8, 2022
Land Cruisers show up #1 on all reliability lists, but I was surprised to read that less than 1 in 5 surpass 200k miles.....

There are some good points being made and I was thinking about these statistics recently. Here are some variables and context to look at this.

I believe most would agree there is a break even point between total cost of the car and cost of potential repair. Since LC is expensive to begin with, the cost of "Acceptable" maximum repair is much higher than most other vehicles on the road. Reliability of course has a major contributing factor, but it should be looked like relative reliability to other vehicles. If we consider ultimate reliability this is where things start falling short according to the above statics.

Let's just stay Iseecar data is horrible and they are dead wrong by double the amount they report. That brings to the following:

Surpassing 200,000 miles 18.2% x 2 (hypothetical error margin) = 36.4 %, round to 40%. Well not bad, that means 4 out of 10 LCs will make past 200,000. Now keep in mind the initial cost and what the owner is willing to pay on repairs is much higher than other cars. This start looking like a lottery 50/50 chance lottery meeting a repair that is higher than what's acceptable.

Surpassing 300,000 miles 1.5% x 2 (hypothetical error margin)= 3 %. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that 3 out of a 100 or 1 out of 33.3?

Obviously there is an off the cliff drop somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 miles.

Moral? If you want LC 200 get ready to pay for repairs, very expensive platform to maintain and it is wise to get rid of it before getting close to 200,000. Based on the above numbers the risk on LC being sold approaching 200,000 miles is enormous and prices should reflect that, but they don't.

I’ve seen many people here comment on how they bought the 200 for safety as if other options are somehow less safe? Ladder frame trucks are stronger, but also heavier and more susceptible to roll overs. A strong frame and large interior space may have some benefits in a collision but there’s a lot of data out there that says a unibody constructed vehicle is safer due to crumple zones, lighter weight, less mass, lower center of gravity, etc.

There are some good points being made and I was thinking about these statistics recently. Here are some variables and context to look at this.

I believe most would agree there is a break even point between total cost of the car and cost of potential repair. Since LC is expensive to begin with, the cost of "Acceptable" maximum repair is much higher than most other vehicles on the road. Reliability of course has a major contributing factor, but it should be looked like relative reliability to other vehicles. If we consider ultimate reliability this is where things start falling short according to the above statics.

Let's just stay Iseecar data is horrible and they are dead wrong by double the amount they report. That brings to the following:

Surpassing 200,000 miles 18.2% x 2 (hypothetical error margin) = 36.4 %, round to 40%. Well not bad, that means 4 out of 10 LCs will make past 200,000. Now keep in mind the initial cost and what the owner is willing to pay on repairs is much higher than other cars. This start looking like a lottery 50/50 chance lottery meeting a repair that is higher than what's acceptable.

Surpassing 300,000 miles 1.5% x 2 (hypothetical error margin)= 3 %. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that 3 out of a 100 or 1 out of 33.3?

Obviously there is an off the cliff drop somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 miles.

Moral? If you want LC 200 get ready to pay for repairs, very expensive platform to maintain and it is wise to get rid of it before getting close to 200,000. Based on the above numbers the risk on LC being sold approaching 200,000 miles is enormous and prices should reflect that, but they don't.
I've been told about the '80 it's cheaper to get from 200k to 300k than it is to get from 100k to 200k.

So, I bought my LX at 200k. If people are getting rid of 200's as they approach 200k, and when the prices are good, other people will snap them up, buy an FSM, daily drive them in varying states of disassembly and disrepair, attach a bunch of aftermarket armor, ladders, jerry cans, roof racks, and strap a farm jack across the spare mounted to the hatch like Excalibur, and it will be glorious to see.

I’ve seen many people here comment on how they bought the 200 for safety as if other options are somehow less safe? Ladder frame trucks are stronger, but also heavier and more susceptible to roll overs. A strong frame and large interior space may have some benefits in a collision but there’s a lot of data out there that says a unibody constructed vehicle is safer due to crumple zones, lighter weight, less mass, lower center of gravity, etc.

Yep, new frame designs make a huge difference.
The new Tundra and Highlander both got the + pick from IIHS. (TNGA)

I've been told about the '80 it's cheaper to get from 200k to 300k than it is to get from 100k to 200k.

So, I bought my LX at 200k. If people are getting rid of 200's as they approach 200k, and when the prices are good, other people will snap them up, buy an FSM, daily drive them in varying states of disassembly and disrepair, attach a bunch of aftermarket armor, ladders, jerry cans, roof racks, and strap a farm jack across the spare mounted to the hatch like Excalibur, and it will be glorious to see.

What is dead may never die!

If I had a redo, that would be it. I will take this current LX to that point eventually and really have some careless fun with it then.

crazy watching the rear quarter panel wrinkle in super slo mo.

1679493929199.jpeg

What does that second paragraph mean exactly? The other car is f*ed?

I believe so. That is why most trucks/SUVs now have a low hanging dam or crossmember in front.

I believe so, weight is also a big difference. 5-6000lb cruiser vs 2-3000 cars/crossovers…

The bigger lie is that these crash tests really do not test large 3 ton vehicle crashing into a 3,000 lb econobox. Simple physics will win here (mass times velocity squared). They want people to drive econoboxes so the tests are skewed in the econoboxes favor.

I would rather die from a shock to my system from the vehicle not crumpling enough, than be crumpled and mangled up because I don’t have a strong frame protecting me.

I traded my 2019 Lc200 for a 2022 Ford Raptor.

I’m here more then the raptor forums and on autotrader looking for the right lc200/lx570 to trade back into.

The LC200 is such a well built vehicle. No rattles, solid as can be and you don’t ever have the thought of it breaking down on you.

Being in the gen3 raptor, it: rattles, loud cabin noise, weird transmission 10spd, seats aren’t as comfy, auto wipers suck, thought of it breaking down constantly, rougher ride, suspension clunky, infotainment dash always resets, auto head lights stay on 75% of the time when it’s sunny. Just a lot of little weird things that starts to wear on you.

The lc200 never had any issues. I miss it.

You really won’t know till you trade out of it. Then you start kicking yourself like me.

Forgot to mention the build quality. Far superior. They didn’t cheap out on anything in the lc200. The ford well, it’s pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Keep in mind most of the landcruisers and

191k miles on the LX. We have family that have been through Escalades, Expeditions, Denali, and our LX has outlasted them all 2011. There cars have been from 2015 and newer. Father in law jumped in with family and was in shock of how good the seats felt, how smooth, and solid it felt. Not cheap to take care of, but not overly complicated if you can handle a wrench. Let's not get into it when we go to the mountains with snow. Everyone knows Landcruiser or LX is the way to go. Looking forward to another 100k miles!

I’m here more then the raptor forums and on autotrader looking for the right lc200/lx570 to trade back into.

The LC200 is such a well built vehicle. No rattles, solid as can be and you don’t ever have the thought of it breaking down on you.

Being in the gen3 raptor, it: rattles, loud cabin noise, weird transmission 10spd, seats aren’t as comfy, auto wipers suck, thought of it breaking down constantly, rougher ride, suspension clunky, infotainment dash always resets, auto head lights stay on 75% of the time when it’s sunny. Just a lot of little weird things that starts to wear on you.

You really won’t know till you trade out of it. Then you start kicking yourself like me.

Forgot to mention the build quality. Far superior. They didn’t cheap out on anything in the lc200. The ford well, it’s pretty cheap.
Agree 100% with you. I tell the wife all the time we're not selling the LX 2011. But then she doesn't want another car in the garage or driveway. The naturally aspirated v-8 is going to be a dinosaur another reason to keep it. These turbo v-6 suvs are not for me. Good luck on your endeavor.

Nothing you said is new. People latch on to the AMAZING marketing the Big 3 have and those that have some technical background or automotive acumen realize all American made cars/trucks are absolute junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom