Help me understand the appeal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

13 years old with oil changes every 5k miles and it's as quiet as the day we got it! Good points

Looks like the newer model trucks and suvs out there have quality issues with their builds. Own a 2017 Ram 2500 with 100k miles now and no issues knock on wood! LX has 191k and we've put over 180k on it. I always say the less technology the better! One thing I will say is the comments here are about spending money maintaining the LX, but buying a new suv or truck and the taxes alone could repair a good portion of the engine with oem parts.

Then your set for another 100-150k miles!

This is true, in TX though we are only taxed the difference in trade. But we are taxed the full sales rate up front as a trade off. You can roll that into your loan though, which is nice when real rates were negative.

Been down in Costa Rica and the majority of suv and trucks are newer Land Cruiser Prado by a wide margin, Toyota Fruntrunner, Nissans, a few 200 series and many 100 and 80 series, plus Isuzus. The Prado is the perfect suz down here for its size, reliability and capability. If you travel around Monteverde, Arenal, the base model Prado is a popular taxi. They 200 is simply big for Central America roads and parking in popular towns is very tricky “narrow and crowded“. Many trucks/suvs also have snorkels for good reason. I actually feel like my 200 is a waste of suv in the U.S unless I’m riding on bad dirt roads at least once a week, where here it’s daily and the 200 would absolutely love it here. What you don’t see very much of here is American made brands. They are rare considering and for good reason. The locals “friends” we’ve made all think they are not good. Having traveled many parts of the “real world”, apple CarPlay and fancy new tech is not wanted unless it can be repaired and fixed in a driveway or local 3rd world auto shop. I have only seen one EV so far and it was a white Tesla Model Y used by an American expat in Tamarindo. It‘s pretty easy to get excited or want the latest and greatest but the 200 is a fantastic companion to take you anywhere trouble free for the most part when you compare it to the competition. We have been driving an Awd Hyundai Tucson all over the country to stay low key and it has not gotten stuck or failed us yet. The roads we travel on are much worse then anything in America has to offer, expect for actual off-road trails. This why I think the 200 is overkill for a daily driver in the U.S.

Been down in Costa Rica and the majority of suv and trucks are newer Land Cruiser Prado by a wide margin, Toyota Fruntrunner, Nissans, a few 200 series and many 100 and 80 series, plus Isuzus. The Prado is the perfect suz down here for its size, reliability and capability. If you travel around Monteverde, Arenal, the base model Prado is a popular taxi. They 200 is simply big for Central America roads and parking in popular towns is very tricky “narrow and crowded“. Many trucks/suvs also have snorkels for good reason. I actually feel like my 200 is a waste of suv in the U.S unless I’m riding on bad dirt roads at least once a week, where here it’s daily and the 200 would absolutely love it here. What you don’t see very much of here is American made brands. They are rare considering and for good reason. The locals “friends” we’ve made all think they are not good. Having traveled many parts of the “real world”, apple CarPlay and fancy new tech is not wanted unless it can be repaired and fixed in a driveway or local 3rd world auto shop. I have only seen one EV so far and it was a white Tesla Model Y used by an American expat in Tamarindo. It‘s pretty easy to get excited or want the latest and greatest but the 200 is a fantastic companion to take you anywhere trouble free for the most part when you compare it to the competition. We have been driving an Awd Hyundai Tucson all over the country to stay low key and it has not gotten stuck or failed us yet. The roads we travel on are much worse then anything in America has to offer, expect for actual off-road trails. This why I think the 200 is overkill for a daily driver in the U.S.
I was recently in Costa Rica as well and agree with every bit of what you just said. The downside to that is it’s made me question if I should continue pursuing a 200 because if I’m honest with myself it is overkill for a DD. However America is a country built on wants, not needs, and endless consumerism. If you live in Costa Rica, parts of Africa, or other similar countries you NEED a cruiser or other tough truck/4x4 because of how crap the roads are.

I was recently in Costa Rica as well and agree with every bit of what you just said. The downside to that is it’s made me question if I should continue pursuing a 200 because if I’m honest with myself it is overkill for a DD. However America is a country built on wants, not needs, and endless consumerism. If you live in Costa Rica, parts of Africa, or other similar countries you NEED a cruiser or other tough truck/4x4 because of how crap the roads are.
Amen brother! I say to you, if you can afford to own a 200(keep stock)but also have a simple DD for most of your needs, go for a 200 and keep it forever unless you never go off-road or need it for really bad terrain. My 200 will be sidelined for most road trips and rarely used for local driving. It will be primarily used for bad weather and overland tripping. I’m really jealous of the cool suv/truck options they get here. My 16yr. old daughter asked if she could get a Prado...music to my ears. Lol! We will all be in the remote villages of Ghana in April while our oldest does a month long abroad study there. Lots of LC’s, old Defenders and Prados-which we are renting while there. :bounce:

The 200 may be overkill as a DD but that is really the exact reason that I drive one. Any Honda would do exactly what I need but may not be up to the task for something unplanned.

If we all drove what we “need” then we’d all be driving around in Camry’s and Civics. Most of us own a 200 because we want to and because we can.

We don’t have kids and I drive solo 90% of the time so the 200 is definitely overkill for my daily needs but I love that about it but it’s definitely needed when hunting, camping, long haul traveling with the misses or pups. I too plan to reserve mine for such uses in the coming year, I’d like to stop stacking useless miles on it.

For those that desire a Prado there’s always the GX and supposedly we will have the Prado Land Cruiser in the next 1-2 years, we might even consider moving over to one when that happens.

I totally agree.

80% of my “dilemma” is not having a city vehicle while i wait for the constant shifting in EV prices and updates. Still dont know which route to go, but i definitely dont want to be beating the truck up in Houston traffic starting next month.

I don’t want any more miles racking up on a truck that is essentially irreplaceable at this point. Even if its still in its youth phase.

As live-able as the 200 is, i think its right to think of it as a purpose built platform (that im severely underutilizing). I also get it if you need to people haul, but why put those snotty kids in your heirloom? Lol get a sienna! But I get it, I still wouldn’t enjoy driving a minivan either. Ever.

Our breakfast entertainment never fails. Many vehicles do not have sunroofs which is a big bonus in my opinion.

3CCA45BA-8996-402B-9573-5FB78F22A485.jpeg

03B6E8D6-1B6A-4A17-A19F-6A398AF11FB4.png

While Chevy (in this example) may sound appealing on paper......

This is a really helpful discussion for someone trying to decide if a LC/LX is the right purchase for their particular situation. I read lots of comments about 200 lc/lx maintenance around 100k+ miles in this thread that I need to balance vs buying something newer with a warranty and potentially higher up front costs to determine if it ends up being close to a wash to buy something else new vs buying a higher mileage LC/LX and paying the maintenance cost.

Looking at Tellurides or other newer 3 row SUVs at a pretty high cost difference would more than cover the maintenance cost, from what I can tell, on a high mileage cheaper LC/LX.

Lots to think about as the search continues.

This is a really helpful discussion for someone trying to decide if a LC/LX is the right purchase for their particular situation. I read lots of comments about 200 lc/lx maintenance around 100k+ miles in this thread that I need to balance vs buying something newer with a warranty and potentially higher up front costs to determine if it ends up being close to a wash to buy something else new vs buying a higher mileage LC/LX and paying the maintenance cost.

Looking at Tellurides or other newer 3 row SUVs at a pretty high cost difference would more than cover the maintenance cost, from what I can tell, on a high mileage cheaper LC/LX.

Lots to think about as the search continues.
If you’re looking at Tellurides, then LC/LX is not the vehicle for you. Highlander maybe?

If you’re looking at Tellurides, then LC/LX is not the vehicle for you. Highlander maybe?

Actually, the Grand Highlander seems like it could be the perfect size 3 row but the price range is way beyond the $30k and under I am considering. I just tossed the Telluride out as an example of a 3 row suv that would include a warranty but be far more expensive than the LX/LCs. I have never driven one, I only sat in one in a showroom and it felt nothing like an LC or LX. The quality difference was very noticeable, but that was expected comparing an $80k+ rig to a $50kish rig.

The only point I was really trying to make was that the thought about buying a higher mileage truck and then paying the maintenance cost and having the higher quality materials and all those things seems like it would actually make quite a bit of sense versus a way more expensive new Telluride or something in that category as it seems like most of the issues happening with the LX or LC have to do with maintenance costs with aging and not major mechanical failures.

Actually, the Grand Highlander seems like it could be the perfect size 3 row but the price range is way beyond the $30k and under I am considering. I just tossed the Telluride out as an example of a 3 row suv that would include a warranty but be far more expensive than the LX/LCs. I have never driven one, I only sat in one in a showroom and it felt nothing like an LC or LX. The quality difference was very noticeable, but that was expected comparing an $80k+ rig to a $50kish rig.

The only point I was really trying to make was that the thought about buying a higher mileage truck and then paying the maintenance cost and having the higher quality materials and all those things seems like it would actually make quite a bit of sense versus a way more expensive new Telluride or something in that category as it seems like most of the issues happening with the LX or LC have to do with maintenance costs with aging and not major mechanical failures.

New Sequoia is not a bad move either if you’re interested. Storage space sucks, but same on a 200 with thirds in use.

New Sequoia is not a bad move either if you’re interested. Storage space sucks, but same on a 200 with thirds in use.
No full time 4wd. And it has the suspension flex of a Highlander! So might as well buy highlander. 😂

No full time 4wd. And it has the suspension flex of a Highlander! So might as well buy highlander. 😂

I knew about the selectable 4x drive, but that flex is news to me?!?
It has a solid rear axle right? Or more shockingly does the highlander have that as well?

Wtf is going on at Toyota?

I knew about the selectable 4x drive, but that flex is news to me?!?
It has a solid rear axle right? Or more shockingly does the highlander have that as well?

Wtf is going on at Toyota?
I am half joking. But look at YouTube video of the new Sequoia. Flex is surprisingly bad for a rear solid axle.

You want my marsadeez?🙆…… endless money pit…..current wife hates it as much as she does my baby dog….. guess which two I am keeping for sure! LOL!

Two keeps a smile on my face while the other does not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom