Help me Pick a Grease! - Wheel and Knuckle Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its not going to make much difference. They both look more than capable.

The Synthetic Polymeric grease is aimed at fleet operators and supposedly can keep working if a service interval is delayed.

The Lithium based grease is aimed at offroad applications and wet conditions among others, so it is probably the one.

Considering Landcruisers lasted a long time with old fashioned grease, both of them would probably be more than needed.
Doing the job regularly is more important.

have you read chewbacca's thread? 14 pages of fun reading.....

I'll check it out, thanks! I've already decided on birfield grease (Amsoil 5% moly NLGI 2), so it's mainly the bearing grease I'm debating. The old Toyota chassis service manual says to use the same (moly grease) for everything, but these days it seems folks are using different grease for the bearings - usually lithium based.

It may not be a bad call to go with Amsoil's multi-purpose grease, after all. As mentioned, it's not lithium based, but perhaps its calcium sulfonate base is more than adequate? We've made a lot of advancement with lubricants in 30 years!!

Mobil 1 makes a good all around synthetic grease for bearings that you can find at Walmart or just about any parts house. I'm sure the Amsoil synthetic multi-purpose would be fine as well.

I use Molyslip grease for the knuckles and bearings. Never let me down.

This is exactly the type of thread I need... love nerdy tech on minutiae like this.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic for my bearings and CAT Desert Gold Moly for the birfs.

Hi all
I'm due for the knuckle job on my BJ73.
Can anybody please advice on the amount of grease needed per knuckle / side?
Thank you.
Best regards Ralf

Hi all
I'm due for the knuckle job on my BJ73.
Can anybody please advice on the amount of grease needed per knuckle / side?
Thank you.
Best regards Ralf
I used ~ 2 tubes of 5% moly per birf/knuckle. Get one extra to be safe

For bearing grease, I probably used 1 tube total for the front end but I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

Last edited:
Any decent Moly Grease will keep you going for far beyond whatever the Toyota service interval is on these axles unless you break something or get water in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom