HELP FJ 40 Project, Time to sell? What Say Ye? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When my first son was on the way, I sold a 73 dd fj40fst so we could have an easier and warmer transport for a baby. we ended up with a blazer for a couple of years until I found a pig with a disassemled engine. Put a 350 in it and it became our transport through two kids. We still have the 55 plus my 2 boys now have me trying to get three 40s going. needless to say the boys have grown up on fj40 stories and won't even consider anything else. So at this time we have picked up 3 projects and are slowly gathering parts and working on them as money and tme are right. My Wife looks out on our junk but what she sees is One Dad and two sons working together. I miss my 1st 40 ( I proposed to my wife in it) but these will do just fine for now, Vehicles come and go in our life but children are forever. You will have to make up your mind what is best for your family. Good luck however you decide. I so wish I could have had a 40 for my boys to grow up with, but at least they had a 55. terry

It doesn't eat and doesn't cost anything to just let it sit.

DON'T SELL IIIIIIIITT!!!! I sold a '74 that was solid so I could get the down payment on a cabin in Eastern Washington. I lost the cabin, my house and all of my snow toys in my divorce. You will come back to it and finish it.

I always think about how close I was to finishing that FJ40.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your pending addition! That is wonderful! Your first child? You are gonna be a busy man. Suppose you could gather all of your parts and store out of sight/mind like in a nice shipping container. Perhaps tackle some little jobs when you have time but time for you is at a premium now and in another 3 months to be sure.

OK HEAR GOES

I'm thinking of just selling everything to someone that wants a project or has a current project that needs all these parts.

This is do-able. Cash into a college fund. It will take a few weeks.

Then maybe buying a 40 that is driveable and that I can enjoy on the occasional weekend or leave down at the beach in the summer.

This is a good course of action... well non-action. Keep your eyes peeled for a great deal. There will always be another out there at a time that is more convenient. Just be prepared that that time may never come unless you make the time/effort. As I look back on my restoration, :meh: Got divorced and it's gone now anyways... I'm looking for my next.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has faced a similar situation.

My restoration did me in. My project consumed me. I dragged that frame and boxes of parts all over the place. I was so determined to restore and seeing it just sit there would kill me. So I dug in and made it happen. In the end I had a great rig but this came at a price...

Regrets? Relief?

Thanks for reading

Josh

If you can't get it out of sight, sell it. Take some time and part it out and stick the funds into a college fund if you do not have one started. No regrets, think of it as a life shift. Your priorities have shifted a little... you adapt and overcome. No regrets at all. Sure you did a lot of work and you may not get all of what you put into it but you have other priorities now. You do what simply has to be done.

If it were me in your situation as you describe it, it would be have been gone yesterday if I could not store it (cheaply) out of sight and mind.

Good luck!

Wow!!

I had no kids when I started mine now I have number 3 on the way! My girls love to come out and tinker with me on the cruiser and are just as excited as me to get that sucker on the road. Good luck Don't sell it, Get a plan of attack with a set time frame. Good Luck~

I feel your pain. But your preaching to the crowd about not having time. I bought a 40 about 6 years ago. A year later and I was Pres of my local cruiser club. I grew that from 35 members to 150 in 2 years. We had 36 events that first year. I went to almost all of them. We had our first daughter 4 years ago. We had our second daughter last year. Also last year I was the GSMTR chair as well I took up a second job of importing cabs and cruiser parts. All the while working hrs a week at my primary job. As well 2 years ago I yanked out my motor and took a year to rebuild a new one. All the while the cruiser sat. This past year what I thought was going to be a couple weekends of body work turned into a year of a major sheet metal job and repaint. This year I'm still co-chair of GSMTR. As well I'm doing a motor rebuild for a friend and still going to most of the club events.

I'm over weight out of shape and don't eat well and I still find time to get my fat ass out in the garage and work on my cruiser. So don't expect any sympathy from me. I say get a back brace and get out there and get some crap done. Join a local club and have some people come and help you. Because I can tell you from experience your first cruiser is your only cruiser. You will always regret selling it. I did.

Thanks

It is very cool to read all of the replies and perspectives on this thread. I'm thankful to have this forum to pose this dilemna.

It makes me remember why cruisers rock and what great people are attracted to these trucks and enjoy sharing them.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and outlooks. It's nice to know there are so many of us that live to keep the stoke of cruisers alive and also maintain the love and support of a family.

It's Funny last night I pulled up the thread on my laptop to read through the replies. I wanted to share some of them with my wife. I wanted her to share in the decision making process or at least gain her perspective.

She had just finished looking through a pregnancy book and had shown me a couple images. When I pulled open the laptop she asked", how come you want me to look at this cruiser website but when I want you to look at this book it is so hard to get your attention?"

I decided that I had better close the computer and pay attention to her. She's only going to be pregnant for 3 more months and I don't want to miss anything or have her think I'm not interested. I have a lot more work to do, support to give and attention to provide before I can think of focusing on restoring the cruiser.

For the moment the easiest thing, is to do nothing. Which means the cruiser sits as it has for the last year rolling chassis in the driveway and parts in the garage.

I think she needs to be packed up and sold to someone that has the fever and the time.

We'll see

Best Regards

Josh

If you think about selling her, let me know! I'm looking for a project and it will stay kinda local.

I know what it's like leading a double life of family and a cruiser, but, it sounds like you and that 40 have some great history together. If money or space isn't an issue, don't let her go you may regret it down the line.

If you can find a way keep it. If you have to throw a tarp on it and get back into it as life permits. about 20 years ago I was in a similar situation. Baby on way, no time, limited funds, etc. Sold my cruiser, it hurt but i thought i was doing the right thing. Years go on, I miss the cruising life, I miss my car, and finally get back into it. My son also has a love of cruisers and now drives his own. The way I see it there were many years that my family and I could have been having a blast. If you think you may miss it, chances are you will miss it a lot!

I feel the pain i sold out and bought later, but later turned out to be 20 years later. dont get me wrong i have no regrets for what i did both my wife and children are well worth the sacrafice. But knowing now what i didnt then i should have kept it. My wife understands i need a small amount of time to tinker with things to keep my head clear and she gives it to me when o get to the point of no return then i just go out and start the project i have been thinking about. Keeps the out of pocket expense under control and helps everyone out.. You have time, keep it for now and sell later if you need to Just my opinion. for what its worth.

I didn't sell

Hi Josh,

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I had a 2 year old and an infant, both sons. I didn't have the heart to sell my '76 '40. I had torn it down to do a frame off. That was in 1990. I have three more sons now, but the wife and the cruiser haven't changed. If you can store it, even outside, it'll still be there for you later on. It won't just rot away. 20 years in to this restoration, and I have finally sandblasted the frame. I wouldn't give up just yet. You're farther along than I am! :D

Krusty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom