Help figuring out what A/C compressor to get (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to purchase an OEM a/c compressor for my 87 FJ60(built in Oct of 86). I cannot locate an exact one when searching the p/n that's pictured here that's on the back of the original compressor.

The dilemma I'm encountering is that there seems to be at least three different choices to pick from.

Anyone have any input or suggestions?

20210828_173852.png

That's the Nippondenso part number.
You might have better luck searching the Toyota part number

88320-60230

Superceded by:

That p/n was one that I found also, but how does the Nippondenso p/n relate to the Toyota p/n you listed? Is that a cross reference and if so, where did you find it?

TIA

Forgot to mention that I would preferably like to purchase a new unit over a rebuilt one, unless the rebuilt unit is from Denso themselves.

New compressors have been discontinued from Toyota but maybe there's a new-old-stock unit gathering dust on someone's shelf. That 2nd part number is a remanufacured unit sold by Toyota dealers, so it's a blessed unit. I wouldn't hesitate for a second choosing it.
Likely the only reused part is the outer shell (now bead blasted). Guaranteed all the insides are new parts.

I’ve been meaning to post this very question. Awesome!

They appear to sell Denso units at Rock Auto. They even say these were OEM. I believe they are new.

They appear to sell Denso units at Rock Auto. They even say these were OEM. I believe they are new.
I think the one I would need that they offer is not available right now. Of course.

Byw, If anyone here has a NOS unit they want to part with, pm me!

What's the problem with the old one? I just put a seal kit in mine and it's going like a champ.[was leaking] Last year , or 2? cant remember, I had one sieze due to lack of oil. Added oil and freed it up and it worked fine again for a couple of years., well 1 year at least.

Last edited:
What's the problem with the old one? I just put a seal kit in mine and it's going like a champ.[was leaking] Last year , or 2? cant remember, I had one sieze due to lack of oil. Added oil and freed it up and it worked fine again for a couple of years., well 1 year at least.
Other than it being a little noisy, not much, but I would like to have a spare one readily available as it seems like each month, less and less parts are available for these rigs.

In my case, I was chasing a leak on the compressor, weather was getting HOT, and rebuilding it wasn’t on my “while I’m in there” list…

My experience with RockAuto parts is that the item you get might not match what you have exactly. For example, they'll show a few different alternators available but when you get it it will have the wrong pulley.
That could also be the case with the AC compressor. The compressor might line up but it - might- have the wrong clutch/pulley installed on it.
I'm not saying that's that the case - but the possibility is definitely there.

Man, I’m really glad this popped up. This has been a rabbit hole I’ve been avoiding for the past three years.

Be careful with rock auto. They sent me the wrong compressor for my 60 based on what they said would fit. I could have paid more attention, but the cheaper of the two denso compressors for the 60 they sell is completely wrong.

My experience with RockAuto parts is that the item you get might not match what you have exactly. For example, they'll show a few different alternators available but when you get it it will have the wrong pulley.
That could also be the case with the AC compressor. The compressor might line up but it - might- have the wrong clutch/pulley installed on it.
I'm not saying that's that the case - but the possibility is definitely there.

Right. That happened to me in the past with RA and it was their error and they wanted ME to pay for return shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom