Slipping in 1st, 2nd. Diagnosing ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
97 cruiser, 240K.

Symptoms:
  • From a start in 1st or 2nd gear the vehicle fails to move forward from a stop until 1 to 3 seconds. It doesn't do it every time.
  • If you push on the gas a little harder it appears to take 2 to 4 seconds before it moves forward, same in 1st or 2nd gear.
  • If you push very lightly on the gas, it often times goes forward in 1st or 2nd without issue. Occasionally it will take 1 to 2 seconds.
Recent maintenance:
  • Knuckle rebuild in the last 90 days, occurred before and after.
  • Drive shafts lubed well 6 months ago and seemed to make it better, but not sold on that.

Thoughts on culprit:
  • I'm leaning towards transmission but that seems like it's a rare occasion when these go bad.
  • Torque converter?
  • Drive shafts? They could be original, at best they are at least 60K on them.
  • Transmission solenoids?
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on how to diagnose further.

I thought transmission, but is it really the whole transmission? This made me think it's the solenoid. The electronig control is a possibility I suppose. Need to go through more diagnostics.

1710528520042.png

Last edited:
have you checked drive flanges?

have you tried to lock the CDL and see if it does the same thing with that on?

have you checked drive flanges?

have you tried to lock the CDL and see if it does the same thing with that on?
Drive flanges were replaced when knuckles were done within last 90 days. I had hopes (small) that that would rectify the issue.

No, I haven't tried it with CDL on to see if the same thing occurs, but I will now. Also going through the Terminal Voltage Inspection steps, and Time Lag Test steps too.

Also drop the pan and clean out the filter. I have had some luck with that. Worked to revive an old ls400 I got dirt cheap because the transmission was dead. 50k and 6 years later it's still on the road.

So I just replaced the trans fluid in another vehicle of mine and had somewhat similar symptoms. If you parked on a slight incline, when you are in drive, does the vehicle roll backwards at all?
What does the vehicle do after subsequent pulls forward? Does the issue go away or remain?

I know this sounds simple but how's the fluid level in the transmission? A low fluid level would present these type of symptoms (and how mine did after I drained the transmission and also replaced all the aux cooler lines, took multiple very short drives to get fluid circulating and checking the level). As mentioned above, the filter could also be clogged restricting fluid flow, which could mean other issues with the filter clogged.

Had the same problem when I bought my 97 (was super scary turning left with oncoming traffic) My reverse would not work up hill either. Come to find out the auto trans was about 6 quarts low. I filled with toyota ATF and all the issues went away. I drained and filled with Amsoil and she shifts like a new ride, smooth as butter and always on time. and yes you need to learn how to properly check your ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom