Help . Front end squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks . Recently had a ps bearing failure. After some mud n crud . I have replaced everything along with swapping a decent birfield. So everything was pretty scarred . I replaced the hub assembly and spindle . Of course new bearings and races. All done to spec. although I use the hand tight plus 1/8 of a turn method on inner lock nut. Im gonna open up and recheck it tomorrow as it was getting late yesterday and Im now at work. I had a squeak squeak squeak sound on test drive . I cant reproduce it with the truck parked and on jack stands. Everything seems to be tight . What would I have missed or done improperly? Not my first trip through a knuckle. im familiar with them . Its clearly on the passenger side. But could it be the front end not the wheel? Oh and calipers and pads are not that old. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IME, bearings do not squeak. Squeal yes, but squeak? No.

Suspension parts squeak like the dickens...

ok more like a squeal but intermittent like rotational

ok more like a squeal but intermittent like rotational
What grease did you use in the knuckle?

Is it properly full of grease? Should have been about two tubes.

Did you grease the spindle bushing?

Did the new spindle come with a bushing or bearing?

Did you PROPERLY tighten the wheel bearings? Hand tight plus 1/8 turn is NOT proper. Go 35 LB-FT on the inner and 45 LB-Ft on the outer and make sure the fold over the wings on the star washer to keep them in place.

I'll bet your wheel bearings are loose and seals and bearings are dragging and causing brakes to drag as well.

amsoil red , yes it has a bearing . and no 48 in -lbs is spec . per fsm , for the final after bearing is set. Are you saying torque the final to 35 ft lbs??? wings are folded and outer is 47 or 35 nm preload 8- 10 pounds . was gonna recheck in the morning to see if i flubbed. I didn't have the inch pound torque wrench in my hand at the time . I did it by feel and Otramm recommendations. I have used the feel and the number method previously with no issues. if that's not it what else would cause that noise

Last edited:
Birfs/knuckles get grey moly grease, but can't imagine that's why you're getting a squeal already if it's at least packed with red grease.

It's true that's what the fsm says for torque spec, but it's been well documented here that it doesn't really work, hence the suggested numbers above. If you went by fsm (which of course is understandable) maybe something is loose now that it's settled. You could easily go back and tighten as suggested and see if that helps.

I didn't go quite as high on my inner nuts (maybe 25?) but was extra thorough when initially seating the new bearings. A lot of people don't use a fish scale, but I did it in addition to the above & was nicely within spec. Turned out perfect as far as I can tell, a year later.

Last edited:
I have always used the synthetic red grease. Interesting. I did not actually do a full rebuild here but did repack the birf to about 3/4 full . The trunions are fine as are the seals. it was the outer wheel bearings that failed n made a mess of things. Kinda wondering what else to look for . The axle shaft looks pretty . i swapped the birf with a used spare i had. The surfaces were still good to go bright and shiny smooth. New spindle , new hub assembly not so old calipers . I put new hub studs in for the flange as well .

Last edited:
Make sure spindle bushing is loaded with grease. I use moly for the knuckle birf and spindle. Wheel bearing grease for the inner and outer wheel bearings. On both of mine I torque the inner to 30ftlbs. Outter lock to 48ftlbs
Brake calipers to 90ftlbs

Spindle is loaded. Heres the grease I used for everything

IMG_4971.jpeg

should i change out to moly? ive used ams oil for

Check your shock bushes - they can make squeaks that sounds rotational despite not being the case
With the wheel bearings, check the washer that pre loads the outer bearing. If it has visible wear marks on the inside it could be fouling the bearing race and not providing proper torque allowing movement.
& yes, moly for knuckle & spindle bearing

new washers n nuts

I really don't know why Toyota specified two different types of grease for the knuckle bearings. When I built heavy duty off-highway drive-steer axles for Dana, we used the same grease in the wheel bearings and CV joints. But then again, it was Dana. FWIW, we used wheel bearing grease (like you did) everywhere.

My guess is that Toyota did it because the CV axle grease is cheaper and there's more of it in the assembly. It's irrelevant for you, when you service your axle, because the quantity is so low, but when you're building several thousand trucks and using the stuff by the barrel, it adds up.

Here's another guy's take on it.

FWIW, the only torque (clamp load) that's important is the inner nut. That's the one that preloads the bearings. The outer nut is a belt and suspenders deal. It's there to keep the inner nut from rotating.

Take a really good look at the seal. Had a similar intermittent squeak and it was the seal. Tiny rock in caliper / brake next best guess. That would be so odd if the grease was causing the issue, totally possible, just surprising. Good luck HTH

ok I retourqued the inner nut to 35 as recommended it did seem slightly loose. I put some anti squeal on the pads n rotor . I did not pull it back all the way to the seal since swapping the birf origionally . It rained on me so I am yet to to a fresh test drive. Will report back. If I have to go that far back in I think I have a seal floating around here somewhere. Hoping it that last squeak was just the bearings setting well and needing tourque.

ok seems that a re tourque to 35 ft lbs on the inner nut fixed the issue . I still have a slight squeak which appears to be brake related . Hard to reproduce but seems to be after a hard brake at highway speeds and a left turn. Then it dissipates in a few minutes

Ok got a bad squeal on right turn arriving in the parking lot of Lowes. No issues after a lap around. Again could not reproduce it . Any further potential with the front end? .Still coming from right side. I would assume maybe the rotor isnt quite true or brake pad/ caliper which have been replaced but a few months ago before the bearing failure. The squeal is hard to reproduce. Drive shafts?? i do need to service them but the joints are all good and not original.

If it was the birfield, you'd hear it click. It's not a sound that you can confuse with any other; when you hear it, you'll know it. My guess, since your other problem was wheel related, is the sliding pins on the caliper aren't allowing the caliper to slide.

Sliding pins? Like the ones on the pads?? Explain. I’m sure I know but call them different names. Birfield is fine. I know the symptoms when worn or even broken

Bearing races fully seated in the hubs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom