Help! Busted Front End Don't Know What It Is (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Christo why didn't the birfields break first before the ring and pinion? I always thought the birfs were the weak link in the system.

I would much prefer the drive flange(s) to be the fuse that breaks first.... but that's just me. :D

-B-

I would much prefer the drive flange(s) to be the fuse that breaks first.... but that's just me. :D

-B-
Why not make them out of brass? Then they would strip saving the other parts.

Why not make them out of brass? Then they would strip saving the other parts.

to start with you could run the 91/92 flanges that are thinner. You woul dneed to add a spacer to make up the difference.

You were on a snow run, what did you come down on that caused the front tire to shock the R&P like that?

You've discovered why the heavy 80 and the high pinion gears in the front are not the best of friends, :). Nice to see you've been wheeling wrench. How's the crawl box doing post the issue you had the last time on the trail? did the guys from Marks ever man up and be a little curtious with their product and its parts?

Christo why didn't the birfields break first before the ring and pinion? I always thought the birfs were the weak link in the system.

The wheels weren't turned is my take, so the birfs weren't so vulnerable.

I suppose now that you know that staying with a higher gear ratio isn't going to protect the R&P from the kind of things that break 80 front R&P's you can replace 'em with 5.29's :D

You were on a snow run, what did you come down on that caused the front tire to shock the R&P like that?
I have no idea. All I know is I was blasting up this hill when all of a sudden the front end comes up off the ground so then I floor it some more to ride it out but then the rear hits something and knocks me back. Still on the throttle hard the truck front end comes slamming down an grabs traction and I hear a loud bang at the same time the truck lands. I'm like "Oh crap! I broke a birf". I try giving it throttle but all I heard was metal banging rapidly. I was going no where. So this big heep with a big 8 on 44's comes and drags my ass back to the field. Quite embarrising indeed.

I think the brifs can take a shock load much better than the r&p. I broke a couple the exact same way. The bottom line is the front diff is marginal size at best when the truck gets upgraded. Most birfs break when you are bound up and apply throttle.

I try to keep off the throttle anymore for this reason. I popped so many things by just juicing it a bit more that I am done with it. Driver finesse is the name of the game once we run with the big dog trails

Should I go up to 5.29's? I'm running 37's currently and the Marks crawl box. Is it a no brainer? 5.29's won't be any weaker since I already destroyed 4.56's correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom