Help! At a dealer far from home and need AHC advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tjb

Threads
I’m at a Lexus dealer in Alabama. Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger.

AHC appeared to work, but when I tried to do the graduations test (in high), the off light began blinking.

When I checked the tank, there was a gurgling, and the fluid level was very low.

Lexus topped it off.

After that, it took forever to get to low (more than a minute). When I moved the car, the light went solid.

The same thing has happened going into high - takes more than a minute, but when moving the car, goes solid.

Neither happens consistently - sometimes it shifts into position in 6 or 7 seconds.

When everything appears to be working, it gets eight or nine graduations. The off light has not blinked again other that when starting the car (normal behavior).

Any quick advice?

Don't know too much on AHC, but trying to help you to clarify for better recommendation.
What are you asking advice for? What decision are you going to make?

Reactions: tjb
Don't know too much on AHC, but trying to help you to clarify for better recommendation.
What are you asking advice for? What decision are you going to make?
Thanks! Whether to pull the trigger on the car if extensive AHC repairs are required. Does the behavior described indicate a likely problem with any specific parts of the system?

If everything checks out except the AHC, haggle as if the AHC is broken. If you get it for a big discount, it could be as easy as purging air out of the system, reindexing the TB's, replacing the rear springs or replacing a sensor. If it's something $$$ (basically the globes), you can fix it or go conventional. If you need to fix it, the other parts that aren't consumables are often sold her in the classifieds when people remove their AHC. Either way, you got the discount.

If everything checks out except the AHC, haggle as if the AHC is broken. If you get it for a big discount, it could be as easy as purging air out of the system, reindexing the TB's, replacing the rear springs or replacing a sensor. If it's something $$$ (basically the globes), you can fix it or go conventional. Either way, you got the discount.
I’ve asked for $1,000 off. Waiting to hear.

Got the $1,000. Closed the deal.

Chances are, the system might be fine with a simple bleed. Even though they topped it off, the gurgling indicates some air might have gotten into the system and why it is slow but functions in all positions.

Pretty sure there are some slow leaks somewhere, otherwise it would not be low.

Yeah, 8/9 grads is usable. Hopefully it just needs a flush, TB adjustment, a new sensor or a pump.

8/9 graduations means you're real close to end-of-life for the AHC. Usable....yes. But, not ideal by any stretch. 7 is rock bottom effectively and most would say that is the replacement threshold.

Sounds to me like air is in the system which is bad. I'd recommend a full flush and refill following PADDO's method. When you bleed the accumulator and globes, see what the fluid looks like. I have a feeling you're going to see foam/milkshake which would mean you need to replace at least 1 globe, possibly all 4. If that's the case, your $1k savings will be spent on those. I would strongly recommend new coils as well. The coils do wear out over time and get weak.

Got the $1,000. Closed the deal.
If you don't mind, would you please share what items are included in this deal and your final cost? My AHC is aged, and may need service soon.

Kinda strange about the issue you're having. Considering you are buying from a Lexus dealer. But hey right? What's the year and mileage by the way

On the road back to Maine from Lexus of Mobile.

I got $1,000 off the negotiated price because of uncertainty about the AHC.
Drove backroads through torrents and thunderstorms tonight, ride felt a little rough a couple hundred miles in. Too dark and wet to peer at the reservoir, will see tomorrow if/how much the fluid has dropped.

Trying to resist compiling a bill of materials at Amayama until I have a better sense of what’s likely wrong.

Driving from the Talladega area through Atlanta and Charlotte and then through Winston-Salem tomorrow. If any mudders know a good independent mechanic with a knack for AHC along that route, shout it out.

(I was not overwhelmed with confidence in the AHC knowledge at the service department at L of Mobile, although I do like the way everyone there treated me throughout - no pressure on me to hurry, or buy. It was my call, for better or worse.)

Last edited:
Lost a little fluid. The Lexus dealer had topped it above the max level, and its worked its way down to between the min/max.

Only gone 250 miles out of 1,700. :rolleyes:

What’s the best advice about how to continue?

Buy more fluid, keep topping off as needed to get home.

^^^^ as @abuck99 said. Likely one of your shocks is leaking. If that rate of decline continues, it's a bad leak. Did you notice one shock wet during your inspection of undercarriage. It would have been dripping wet to loose that much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom