Hello Mud! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I'd jump in the fray and show you guys what I'm working on. Just bought a '96 FZJ80. Plan is to get it in the basement and go through the entire drive line (engine, trans, and axles). It's got 268k on it, bad oil leaks every where imaginable, and I want to baseline it to as close to re-built mechanically as possible. Hopefully pics will show below. Here it is next to the Pathfinder it will replace.

I spent the last weekend cleaning and lighting the garage in anticipation of trying to squeeze it in there. We had just thrown stuff in when we moved in last spring, and the shop has been low on the list. Interestingly enough, I think I'm going to have to take the springs out in the driveway to get it to the spot pictured below to pull the motor. There's an AC duct hanging from the already low ceiling, and I was planning to pull the axles for a full go-through anyway, so I'm hoping that pulling the springs will give me the clearance I need.

I passed a built green 80 Series pulling out of Lowes in south Huntsville yesterday, any chance it was one of you HOT South guys? I'm hoping I can get some relatively local machinist recommendations for block and head work from someone in the north Alabama area. I'm relatively new here, and most of the guys I dealt with back in TN did chevy race motor stuff. Hoping I can find someone around here that knows their way around one of these.

Sorry for the huge first post. I'll try to keep updating as it goes; plan is to be done by April. THANKS to everyone here for the massive amount I've already learned!

:flipoff2:

Congrats!

Welcome to Mud. It seems you are diving straight into the deep end of the pool.

Why an engine tear down? Why complete axle assembly removal? Just because of a few leaks and the miles you see on the odometer? 268k isn’t really all that imprsssve these days. Lots of 80 over 300k that have never been apart.

Welcome to MUD. Enjoy the baselining journey. The truck will run another 250k when you are done.

Welcome to Mud. It seems you are diving straight into the deep end of the pool.

Why an engine tear down? Why complete axle assembly removal? Just because of a few leaks and the miles you see on the odometer? 268k isn’t really all that imprsssve these days. Lots of 80 over 300k that have never been apart.

The plan is to put another 300-400k on it over the next 15 or so years, and I'd like to start fresh. These trucks are awesome. I never knew how well they were built until recently, and wouldn't have believed it until I saw this one and started doing some research on the drivelines. I'm a creature of habit, and will keep something until i don't have the time to work on it anymore. I think if I bring this one back to like new, I'll be able to drive it until I retire (that's the plan anyway, I'm 36).

Sounds like a true Mudder to me...welcome :flipoff2:. Now mourne your wallet...:frown:

The plan is to put another 300-400k on it over the next 15 or so years, and I'd like to start fresh. These trucks are awesome. I never knew how well they were built until recently, and wouldn't have believed it until I saw this one and started doing some research on the drivelines. I'm a creature of habit, and will keep something until i don't have the time to work on it anymore. I think if I bring this one back to like new, I'll be able to drive it until I retire (that's the plan anyway, I'm 36).
Ok, so you have a plan. I’m 52 and still believing in my 93 with 290k on it. If you are really serious about being buried in your 80 (statistically you have a long way to go) you might want to do a good freshen up now and get as many miles out of what you already paid for and do your super overhaul one day when she can’t catch her breath anymore.

I look forward to seeing and reading about your journey to the center, I mean bottom, of your wallet.. or maybe you are independantly wealthy, idk, either way, have fun and do your best to not become addicted to 80’s and Mud. Good luck.

Last edited:
Just buy oil by the case at Costco and keep driving...

^^^ This :). It’s worked for the last 85K and as I approach 300K, the 80 still runs like a top.

jealous of your work space. Would love to have a spot i could just grab coffee and do some wrenching. Welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom