Heavy rain left some gremlins behind.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We had a large storm cell too through last night in Texas. Around 3:00am I was awoken by not thunder, but a horn blaring intermittently outside the house.

By the time I got dressed it was stuck on. I had to scramble to find tools and disconnect the battery while being half asleep.

My wife had left the sunroof in the up position and it must have overwhelmed the drain at one point. There was water in the DS floor under the mat. Passenger side is dry.

I removed the relay now that I can see which is what and it looked good inside. No moisture or corrosion.

I am hoping it's not the infamous kick panel fuse panel/BCM.

If you guys can help me save some time I would be eternally grateful.
I'm too frustrated to be working on it at the moment but it needs to get fixed.

I also have a few other weird electrical issues that may or may not be related.

My battery discharge light has been stuck on for the past 8 months but the charging system has checked out ok every time it's tested.

I also used some cheap HIDs a few months back and I think it shorted one of my low beam circuits because both terminals have + charge.

I'd like to focus on the first issue but any and all advice is appreciated.

image.jpg

I went ahead and removed the fuse panel and cracked it open. If you for any reason decide to do this be very careful.

The internals consist of several layers of plastic boards with pins sticking up. They can easily be bent if you are not paying attention.

BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL THE FUSES AND RELAYS BEFORE PULLING THE COVER OFF.

IMG_2850.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

No I do not have a replacement on hand.

It's not as bad as you think it is. Although the pins actually sit loosely on the board so if you were to drop it or bump it they could all fall off and you have to find out where they go.

It is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I did not find any considerable amount of moisture but I did find some residue or sediment at the bottom of it indicating that there was moisture pooled in there at one point.

I went ahead and blew everything out thoroughly and will put it back together so we will see what happens.

I dread the day I have an issue like that. It's ironic that the country sees a big snow/rain storm and a slew of relay-electrical posts show up.
Good luck Sir

Here you can see where funk has been accumulating. I'd wager water has been leaking into it for a while.

FE1CEB51-9B3B-4461-B0DD-78645581E9CA.jpg

We had a large storm cell too through last night in Texas. Around 3:00am I was awoken by not thunder, but a horn blaring intermittently outside the house.

By the time I got dressed it was stuck on. I had to scramble to find tools and disconnect the battery while being half asleep.

My wife had left the sunroof in the up position and it must have overwhelmed the drain at one point. There was water in the DS floor under the mat. Passenger side is dry.

I removed the relay now that I can see which is what and it looked good inside. No moisture or corrosion.

I am hoping it's not the infamous kick panel fuse panel/BCM.

If you guys can help me save some time I would be eternally grateful.
I'm too frustrated to be working on it at the moment but it needs to get fixed.

I also have a few other weird electrical issues that may or may not be related.

My battery discharge light has been stuck on for the past 8 months but the charging system has checked out ok every time it's tested.

I also used some cheap HIDs a few months back and I think it shorted one of my low beam circuits because both terminals have + charge.

I'd like to focus on the first issue but any and all advice is appreciated.

View attachment 1383354
I’m having the same exact symptoms.. battery shows it needs charging but doesn’t really run out. I have the infamous EFI/immobilizer situation going on and today had the horn blow off with no mercy till I unplugged it. Noticed water in the driver side foot well after a car wash. What fixed it for you?

^ Use a bunch of DampRid and get air moving around the DS footwell area to get rid of all of the moisture.

Does the light come on when you put the IG to ON and then does not shut off? Have you tried tightening the left side hex bolt to ensure all of the connection pins have good contact to the cluster? BTW, that bolt will never fully tighten, but it can loosen up a bit.

Do you have an aftermarket roof rack?

Does the light come on when you put the IG to ON and then does not shut off? Have you tried tightening the left side hex bolt to ensure all of the connection pins have good contact to the cluster? BTW, that bolt will never fully tighten, but it can loosen up a bit.
I haven’t noticed, will have to check. Will give it a shot with tightening the bolt and see what happens

I'd check windshield and also reapply silicon on the rack mounts. Mine were good and sealed, until they weren't.

Yes. Not causing a leak though. Recently changed the windshield so probably they did a bad job putting it on
Ding ding ding ding ding

Most folks (including me) have gotten away with a good drying out session being the long term solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom