Headliner swap non-molded to molded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all-

I've got a 93 with the non-molded headliner. My sunroof recently gave up the ghost. I think I'll need to drop the headliner to fix it. I know it would be much cheaper to just leave it closed forever but I really like rocking it whenever it's not raining/snowing.

Since I'm looking at a serious project to fix the sunroof and dropping my headliner will likely mean I'll need a new one installed - I thought maybe it's possible to put in the molded headliner from the updated 80s. This would make any other maintenance like this easier in the future.

Looks like I would need a molded headliner and all the grab handles as I think all of them are different. Would I need the pillar trim pieces too?

Has anyone done this? Are there problems I'll be running into that I haven't considered?

Last winter I disassembled a 94 bolt by bolt and I was impressed with the great condition of the the headliner. They are more durable than you would expect.

Last winter I disassembled a 94 bolt by bolt and I was impressed with the great condition of the the headliner. They are more durable than you would expect.
Yeah, I bet of you took your time, you could the old one out without wrecking it. I would heat up the double sided tape that I think they used to glue it to the door jambs with a heat gun, and go slow. I think @ZeGerman might have been a little aggressive, but I could be wrong ;)

Just as a question, what is wrong with the sunroof that you need to pull the whole thing out? I found out a couple of weeks ago that it's super easy to just remove the glass panel and the surrounding frame and seal. You could do quite a bit of surgery from there before you had to commit to dropping the liner, depending on what the issue is.

Just as a question, what is wrong with the sunroof that you need to pull the whole thing out? I found out a couple of weeks ago that it's super easy to just remove the glass panel and the surrounding frame and seal. You could do quite a bit of surgery from there before you had to commit to dropping the liner, depending on what the issue is.

One side isn’t working correctly. Won’t go up at all and the motor to close it is nearly dead too. May also be a hair off track.

I took a couple trim pieces off to examine it and talked to Torfab and their recommendation was just to drop the liner but I’m sure some enterprising MUD member found another way to fix it, but I have only begun to think about this. Home repairs have consumed this portion of my brain and free time up to this point.

Yup. I have a new headliner in mine right now. Ill try and get the photos back. Changing over the headliner is quite easy but there are a few things that you will need from the donor vehicle. You will need the A,B,C D pillar trim. The only thing that did not fit perfectly is the A pillar trim. You will have a 1cm gap at the bottom. No big deal. You will need to drill a hole for the clips of the pillar trims. You will also need the rubber gaskets around the door as the newer ones have a channel for the new headliner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom