headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BDSeff1fitty

1987 Toyota 4Runner
Threads
what headers will sit highest from the ground so i won't have to worry about damaging them in the rocks or on trails. the man-a-fre 2 pieces look good, but there expensive. sors looks long, and so do jto's. marksoffroad look nice and are better priced than the sors and man-a-fre's but i can't tell how far they hang down. so tell me your personal experiences with the headers you have and how high they sit from the ground.

I run one from Mark's Off Road. Good fit, price, and all around good dude to work with.

how have the marksoffroad held up? aren't they chrome plated? i want something that will last obviously

how long are downeys? i want something that sits about even with the frame rail or hangs down maybe a couple more inches

I think the header Mark's off road sells is the same header Downey sells, which is what I have. My motor's out for a rebuild so I can't verify this but I think the bottom edge of collector just barely hangs below the bottom of the frame a little. I would be more concerned with bashing in the oil pan right next to it than the header collector.

I think the header Mark's off road sells is the same header Downey sells, which is what I have. My motor's out for a rebuild so I can't verify this but I think the bottom edge of collector just barely hangs below the bottom of the frame a little. I would be more concerned with bashing in the oil pan right next to it than the header collector.

ok thanks. ill eventually at some point probly build skid plates to protect alot of stuff once the rigs being build, i just want everything to be as high as possible to keep out of the way

All the aftermarket headers set below the framerails, so you'll need to cut off the old tubes & bend up some like I did for my :pig: These set about 2" below the TOP of the framerails. Good enough for front link suspension placement.
DSC00473.JPG
DSC00476.JPG

i don't have a bender so i would have to find someone to make some, and im sure it would be much more expensive that way

I was thinking of buying the MAF tuned headers, but the more I look at them the more I wonder how all 6 are of the same length. I can see the front 3 and the back 3 being tuned but to join them up, they would be unbalanced and hence not tuned if you joined the 2 halves together with a Y pipe. Kinda defeats the purpose.

the MAF 2 piece looks amazing, i just don't know if $450 is how much i wanna spend on a set of headers when i definitely don't need that much money gone right now.

Trollhole, do you like the 62's or do you wish you had headers?

also, i have been meaning to PM you, how did you get your block so clean for paint? i was thinking about sandblasting part of my motor and covering everything up really good so no sand could get in the engine but im not sure how i like that idea.

I was thinking about sandblasting part of my motor, and covering everything up really good so no sand could get in the engine. I'm not sure how i like that idea.

NOT a good idea! High pressure sand blasting will force sand into places you would not believe. Just use a heavy degreaser, wire brushes, putty knives, and plenty of elbow grease to remove most of the grease. Then switch to dish washing liquid and a good scrub brush. Rinse well, dry, prime, and paint.

Trollhole, do you like the 62's or do you wish you had headers?

also, i have been meaning to PM you, how did you get your block so clean for paint? i was thinking about sandblasting part of my motor and covering everything up really good so no sand could get in the engine but im not sure how i like that idea.

I cannot tell the difference. Honestly I don't think headers make all that big a difference.

I like these cause I can use all the mounting holes the 86-87 head had. But From what I can tell they will fit on any 2f. Just some of the holes are not used. You do have to grind some of the intake manifold away but it doesn't effect it.

Engine was hot tanked prior to the build.

Mine wasn't hot tanked but the shop here has to use some sort of ultrasonic hot water spraying thingy. It is basically a giant washing machine and it did a great job.

Don't sandblast it, you will just ruin the motor. You could hot water pressure wash it.

BTW most of the headers that are made for the 2f are nothing special and unless ALL the pipe lengths are the same, you won't see much of a performance improvement. But this is just an opinion and much like assholes everybody has one.

I've had a few headers over the years...I'm running Downey headers now, like them the best so far.

the reason for me wanting headers isn't for performance, it looks better IMO, i just figured since im spending all the money and time to get the engine bay to look good i might as well do what i think looks best, but i do like those manifolds trollhole has.

I believe Mr, Whatley sez that 3f manifolds pull as well as headers...
But I had a cracked manifold, so been running headers for 20 years....

I have the SOR 2 piece's and they look great. The bummer for me was that I had to remove my stock skid plate to fit the pipes. (I picked up the entire kit...headers to tailpipe from SOR) I haven't yet gotten back to trying to cut and fit the plate. Overall, they only hang down below the frame by a little bit. If you like I can measure and get back to you.

Honestly, you have more to worry about than the exhaust hanging below the frame rails. I run the Man-A-Fre cheapie header (it came on my truck). I've been hung up on my differentials, u-bolts, spring hangers, t-case, rear drive shaft, etc. MANY more times than I have hit the exhaust manifold (actually, I have never hit it on a trail).

Just go with the header you like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom