Headers or manifolds on my 5.7 350TBI with Saginaw? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
My 350 5.7 is in now and the Saginaw conversion is imminent. I will need headers too, and I'm told "wheel well" style headers. Is that inside or outside the frame style for small block V8? My center dump CA legal manifolds that I just removed won't work. I don't want a loud crazy sounding 40 either. What should I look for? Hugger headers? Ramshorns seems like they'd fit......plz educate me!

Alex

I run the short block hugger headers. They work well and won't be loud as long as you have a decent muffler.

I got ramhorns for my vortec 350 on egay, they fit great and keep everything between the frame fails. I think I only paid $100 for new manifolds with shipping included. Maybe 2 months ago.
:beer:

I have the "wheel well" style headers in reference, which I believe are also called "firewall headers."

The PO and I installed these a few years back, and the wheel wells required trimming to get them to fit. I would not suggest getting these unless you plan on the possibility of hacking the fender wells. I am now getting prepared to change out the exhaust system, including the headers, and will go back to stock or rams horns instead.

Hi All:

X 2 what "Don" wrote!

A buddy of mine replaced the crazy over-the-frame rail headers on his rig with a pair a cast iron "rams head" manifolds a few years ago and these work much better.

Good luck!

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Alex

Ramhorns fit really well. You can source original cast iron ones virtually everywhere. Speedway motors sells some polished stainless "ramhorns" that I think would fit as well. The rams horns come straight down exhaust or slanted back.

Don

The rams horns work well and flow better than any other Chevy manifold, but not quite as good as headers. The Rams Horn headers have 2 different outlet sizes, 2" and 2.5" the bigger ones were only found on Corvettes and possibly some other chevy production vehicles, but the 2" outlets should work great for your apllication.....and they last a lot better than headers!

Alex, I started with Block Huggers, which worked very well for me. Then I installed an on-board air system, and I needed the mounting points the ram horns offer, so I installed a pair of those. I noticed zero performance change, they sound about the same as well(need to change mufflers, still set off car alarms!).I have Saginaw P.S. and the clearance was about the same for both.So I guess it's personal preference as far as I can see, just my .02 :cheers: Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom